AT&T Senior Technical Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Randall L. Stephenson

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TUniversity - Offering everything from Harvard management, strategy and analytics courses to tuition aid for degree and non-degree programs for all management employees. Growth - You are fully supported in pursuing career pivots within AT&T and there's a healthy respect for employee happiness and professional desires. Benefits - Excellent!

Cons

AT&T seeks to cut it's workforce by half on advice from silicon valley and in order to maintain a competitive cost structure. However, the lay offs occur overtime at the rate of 2-3 times per year represented as employee "surpluses". This creates a pervasive and perpetual sense of doom and gloom among its employees making it a negative place to work.

Advice to Management

Simplify your product offerings, focus on extreme high quality and make it effortless. Don't over diversify and quit yielding to investors, they're an irrational herd that will make you do irrational things.

AT&T2018-05-26

AT&T Response

July 9, 2018Talent Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback! As we continue experiencing changes in the industry and technology, its imperative that our people stay caught up with continuous learning programs. This also means we sometimes have to restructure to meet the needs of the business. When this happens, we do our best to offer our people as many options as we can to find new opportunities in and outside of the company. We appreciate you and your input.

"Big Company Bigger Problems"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project/Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

AT&T has a wonderfully diverse workforce with ample opportunities to grow and learn. They do an incredible job of providing educational opportunities and preparing you for the future. Salaries are fair, benefits are decent, and AT&T has a culture that values a healthy work/life balance. There is a lot of kindness in AT&T's culture and so many brilliant and creative minds. The best part of AT&T is... it's employees.

Cons

The upper management at AT&T is a problem. They rarely stick to any strategy for more then a few quarters and you'll regularly find the rug pulled out from under you. Management doesn't really value your work, just their bottom line. It's apparent most decisions are made solely to make Shareholders happy, to the extent that one manager said in a meeting "It's better to have an inferior product and manage unhappy... customers then fully invest in the services to make them great". That's not the kind of messaging you'd expect to hear or want to hear from your leaders.

AT&T2019-05-31
  3. "Sr. Technical Program/Project Manager"

Senior Technical Program/Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AT&T for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, flexibility, average salary not too low, opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

Some of the management folks are a bit rotten, not easy to work for, too much politics and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

More coaching for management to focus more on getting the job done and worry less on politics and climbing the ladder without good contributions.

AT&T2016-11-14
  4. "Senior Program Manager"

Current Contractor - Senior Technical Program Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at AT&T for more than a year

Pros

Refreshing and rewarding non Department of Defense work. Provides from day 1 leadership roles to contractors

Cons

18 months turnaround for Contractors.

Advice to Management

Maintain a better balance in experience between the Senior Contractor and Junior direct hires.

AT&T2015-08-13