AT&T Reviews in St. Louis, MO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 922 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 262 reviews)

"Overall bad place to work"

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Salary isn't bad for what it is. The benefits are great. Discounts on services are pretty good. The benefits are the only reason they get two stars.

Cons

The company went through a shift in personnel and started micromanaging. Selling is secondary to "the process". The managers' jobs are just to watch you. They can't help sell. Then they have to tell you everything you did wrong. They have to do this on the sales floor in front of your coworkers and customers. High turnover. Stores are chronically understaffed.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their job. Let the reps sell and let the managers help. Your "process" is ineffective. You need to realize that not every rep or customer is the same. They are not going to respond to the same thing. It's a sales job. Get out of the way and let people sell.

2. "Retail Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - AT&Amp; T Retail Sales Consultant in Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - AT&Amp; T Retail Sales Consultant in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays pretty well and I have worked her for four years. Health benefits are pretty good as well. Always promote from within.

Cons

This is quite possibly one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The goals are unrealistic and all they want to do is find how you screwed up rather than trying to further your abilities.

"Still Hanging On"

Current Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time

Pros

Paycheck, Discount, Work unsupervised, Home Dispatch program saves personal fuel, tuition advancement/reimbursement, Paid Vacation. Schedule is seniority based.

Cons

Health insurance in 2017 will be 5X what it was in 2012. I partially hold my fellow Prem Techs responsible for this by voting this in. We knew this prior to voting the 2013 contract but they agreed. DON'T DO IT AGAIN GUYS!

Not enough opportunities for advancement.
    No Pension.

Every other department that can have any effect on our job. It really feels like Prem Techs are the only position that know how to do their job. Every office job that touches the Uverse accounts in any way is awful. When someone is able to help, they can only help halfway. Example: contact 1 department to add TV service to an order for a job you're installing but then have to contact another department to change the Due Date for todays date. Have to contact a different department to save the customers phone number that they've had for 30+ years.

THE SYSTEMS ARE AWFUL. Outages every week. Not exaggerating. Company sets us up for failure by giving us objectives, then having systems that prevent us from meeting these objectives. They honestly send us to install service when the systems that activate the new equipment don't work.

Advice to Management

Fix your systems. All of them. Cross train your office workers. You have no problem training Prem Techs to do all field work but don't want to do it with Tech Suport/Customer Service/VOM/OMA/GNAC/CRC/ABC123??? Since 2013 We have taken work from CSTs of Pair Changes, Fiber Drops, Install ONTs, Place BT cancellation devices....WAIT. THERES MORE! We also added Directv to the lineup, that is an entire position in itself. We do it all, yet the guy that processes a "SWAP" request because a system is down cannot close my job for me.

4. "Network engineer"

Former Employee - Layer3 Network Engineer in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Layer3 Network Engineer in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Do whatever you want. There is no recourse for messing around on company time. Most of the employees did this

Cons

If you are a workaholic, you won't be noticed for your effort. Promotions are a joke and only happen because of favoritism, not merit.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and quit passing a blind eye to everything. You only care about meeting quotas. Whoever is on the bottom gets chewed a new one

5. "Too big to care"

Current Employee - Specialist Applications Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Specialist Applications Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, Decent Pay, Job Security

Cons

Workplace is unbelievably outdated, and downright gross sometimes. Enough bureaucracy to get in the way of every single thing

6. "Don't work here if you have a family."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

The union pay and benefits,

Cons

AT&T tells the public customer satisfaction is what matters most, then cut corners and enact policies that they know will degrade the quality of service in order to cut cost.
    You are not a person, you're a number; management doesn't care what problems there are with the job.

Advice to Management

Be honest to the customers and employees.

7. "Retail Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half off of cell phone bill
    Paid training
    Paid vacation
    Union
    Raises every six months

Cons

Management micromanages and makes you feel like you're worthless
    No flexibility with schedule unless you're seniority
    No excused sick days, even with doctor's note.
    Never good enough
    Schedule vaca a month in advance
    Forced to have uncomfortable conversations
    Area managers do not care about you
    Commission structure is always changing. Went from 54k salary to 42k salary

Advice to Management

Treat people like they're important and like they make a difference. Stop expecting people to be robots.

8. "Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Manager Leveraged Resolution Specialist in Belleville, IL

I have been working at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Great money to provide for your family.

Cons

No work life balance at all. You will actually go crazy because you will NEVER see your family or NEVER have free time to yourself. You'll be paying your bills in you house for no reason or to see your family sleep.

Advice to Management

Ask anyone have they see the CEO, you will get the same answer from thousands of employees. Honestly if it wasn't for my direct supervisor and our CSM, most people would have quit. (Message to the decision makers) Please consider your employees, if we are making you richer by the hour, give us a great work life balance. Give us amazing incentives to want to stay for so many hours. Please stop changing the commission structure. If we have to be at work and have to push so hard to sale so much product, please pay us even more. Much more work for much more pay as a trade off.

9. "Great Start but terrible finish"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fenton, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay starting out, awesome if you want to work around technology

Cons

Micromanaging is the norm. Managers watch you all day and evaluate your performance. Management is very shady

Advice to Management

Promote a team atmosphere and not a individual cog atmosphere

10. "Prem tech - what I imagine working in a concentration camp is like"

Former Employee - Technician in Arnold, MO
    Former Employee - Technician in Arnold, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Decent, not amazing. Low requirement for entry

Cons

Management was pretty abusive to techs. I know they were abused from the higher ups as well .I do have empathy towards them somewhat. But they went on firing sprees constantly. Union did next to nothing to protect workers. Job was dangerous sometimes, especially when they told you to do things that went directly against safety protocol.

Advice to Management

You need to stop treating techs like expendable robots. Improve your culture. It literally felt I was working for the Third Reich. Joy and job pride was a foreign concept in our garage.

Showing 40 of 15,457 reviews