AT&T Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours (in 1033 reviews)

• Life consuming, no work life balance (in 297 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity with very little experience after college."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At&t is a very large corporation and at the time we were given 401k benefits even though we were only part time employees.

Cons

The major con is that you're working at a call center and there undoubtedly difficult calls and customers that you're going to have to endure.

2. "Micromanagement in company owned retail stores brings down morale of everyone"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k 6% match after 3 years vested, CWA Union ensures you get a raise every 6 months, you get commission (although it’s nearly impossible to meet goals), half off home security and cell phone bill, $10 for DIRECTV with no contract and 4 boxes included, Health benefits from United Healthcare PPO or HMO, Dental from Cigna, Prescription with CVS Caremark, job security because of the Union, PTO and Vacation is generous the longer you work with the Company. Road to advancement is easy but no job security at management level.

Cons

Attendance policy is strict with points system for being 6 or more minutes late at clock in and on the floor. 8 points and you’re fired. Points stay for a year. Trickle down micromanagement is rampant and brings morale down from DOS level to Retail Sales Consultant on the bottom of the totem pole. Managers use “coaching” to write you up and reprimand you instead of actual coaching. Coachings are dependent on if your manager likes you. No bonuses for high performers. DIRECTV is everything now but always charges back and commission gets taken away based on what commission is worth that month which can hurt or benefit you. Trainings are a joke especially when you’re busy and have to click through videos and readings so you’re not put on a naughty list. Also, classroom trainings are more about facts and not based on actual sales techniques (but even that has been cut down). Commission is the main problem since I took the job based on my commission, not my hourly. Work/Life balance is HORRIBLE and based on seniority with schedule bidding process. So if you’re the most senior person in your location you can take all the weekends off and be able to leave early with opening schedules at 930am and can leave as early as 3-4pm sometimes, but if your 4th or lower in seniority you will have no life with your family or personal days since you’ll most likely be closing every night. Closing means whoever can make it inside the store before you lock the doors shut. So you could be there until 10-11pm. During thanksgiving and Christmas 12am. Oh, yeah, we get more money for selling premium DIRECTV but AT&T wants us to push a better product in DIRECTV NOW directly giving competition to our compensation.

Advice to Management

Micro-management is killing productivity and only brings morale down. Your constant nagging and conflict with our Union makes us not like you more especially when we rely on them when certain RSM’s have it out for us. If an employee gets to work and is sick as a dog, he/she should be sent home with no points. “Abuse of grace period” when clocking in is a joke and needs to stop being used to fire/harass RSCs. Also, your reliance on white board and real time numbers should not be rewarded since some of the highest sellers lie to customers and get charged back on commission and then they quit. Goals on gross adds and upgrades is not right and comp for accessories is a joke. I wish you would actually listen to our responses from our surveys. I’m looking for a new job and so are 3 others in my store. 1 other person quit. I’m on my 10th manager. The uncertainty is stressful and unfair. Treat your people with honesty, truth, respect, and morale will go up.

3. "AT&T"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discounts and internal University is vast.

Cons

1. You are a profit not an employee
    2. Constant layoff's the company calls Surplussing
    3. Offshore 50% of call center work to foreign countries
    4. Buyout more companies and outsource work furthermore surplussing more people.
    5. Good Old boy mentality in the leadership ranks, if you have been with us 30 years we have your back no matter how much you can do wrong.

Advice to Management

Really take the turn for caring for your people not just saying you do. The only thing that matters to VP and above is the bottom line, profits.

4. "Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay and good benefits

Cons

Terrible Management, Constant Layoffs and outsourcing of jobs, always changing accounts around. NO consistency

Advice to Management

Need to take care better care of employees.

5. "Product Management"

Current Contractor - Product Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Contractor - Product Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Learned an immense amount about TV streaming services in a very fast paced environment. The Development & Scrum teams were very experienced and technically proficient and learned a lot from them.

Cons

Managed like a Start Up, very chaotic for a Fortune 500 company. Management is disconnected with the health & culture of the development team environment. Will terminate you in a heartbeat, there's absolutely no loyalty to contractors and no real opportunities to become an employee.

Advice to Management

Learn to value the people who specialize in developing your products. Create a culture that people want to brag about where they work. Stop treating people as if they've no real value and can be easily replaced.

6. "My experience is a good one. I have no complaints about the company they work with me and my school schedule"

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tuition assistance is supreme lots of vacation time and lots of opportunities to advance from what I hear and what I was told

Cons

Long hours but that's any job. Don't get to take off immediately if the time came to want to do something spontaneous like go on vacation you have to let them know months in advance

Advice to Management

Don't forget about us in retail

7. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers, health benefits, paid time off

Cons

Schedule, nothing but tech support, less pay than what it was. Nobody likes their job anymore

Advice to Management

Go back to the old comp plan.

8. "Vendor Manager"

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have been named as one of the top 100 companies to work for. They are rich in diversity and have an amazing training program for any job you may want to have within the company.

Cons

The annual raises leave a lot to be desired. Profits are spent with acquisitions of other companies rather than investing in the workforce

9. "IT Specialist -"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

salary, benefits, vacation time, middle management, coworkers

Cons

No Cons really other than when the decide to downsize, some don't take into account work ethic, years of service, who the best employess are, etc. they just come up with wierd reasons

Advice to Management

put more thought into who you chose to downsize

10. "retail job with good pay"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay
    401k
    insurance health dental etc

Cons

lack of work life balance
    retail hours