AT&T Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1115 reviews)

• "Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE" (in 325 reviews)

1. "System Administrator"

Current Employee - Professional Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Professional Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AT&T is always interesting, with great people and challenges. I'm impressed by the quality of the change management processes I've been exposed to, and the network support professionals are amazing!

Cons

In any company, there is the occasional "bad egg." For the most part, at AT&T, the corporate policies that are in place limit the reach of the bad eggs - they keep themselves in check, because it's not tolerated!

"Retail Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, the benefits, and colleagues I worked with were great.

Cons

The systems through which we activate new accounts and installs sometimes fails for no reason, and it would cause some stress on the floor. Attendance was another thing, but not being able to help customers with certain issues myself left them feeling a lot of distrust in our company. There are issues with bundling and other things. The system needs a complete overhaul.

Advice to Management

I thought management was great. Advice would be to maybe understand a little more that DIRECTV carries such a bad taste in peoples mouths sometimes and it sometimes taints the rest of the conversation. We advertise that we offer it enough, and the sales team already is pushed to sell entertainment services. Understand the RSCs.

"communication technician"

Former Freelancer - FLORIDA in Tampa, FL
    Former Freelancer - FLORIDA in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

good wages for the amount of work , alliance courses , mobility to transfer, friendly co-workers

Cons

management ineptness, too much favoritism, bean counter mentality

Advice to Management

stay out of production don't micro manage

4. "It's ok but could be better"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good. The employee discounts are great

Cons

Limited opportunities for career advancement unless you want to bounce state to state

Advice to Management

Stop allowing everyone to hire friends

5. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for family and plenty of PTO available.

Cons

No room for advancement and unlikely to move up from this position.

6. "Micromanagement in company owned retail stores brings down morale of everyone"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k 6% match after 3 years vested, CWA Union ensures you get a raise every 6 months, you get commission (although it’s nearly impossible to meet goals), half off home security and cell phone bill, $10 for DIRECTV with no contract and 4 boxes included, Health benefits from United Healthcare PPO or HMO, Dental from Cigna, Prescription with CVS Caremark, job security because of the Union, PTO and Vacation is generous the longer you work with the Company. Road to advancement is easy but no job security at management level.

Cons

Attendance policy is strict with points system for being 6 or more minutes late at clock in and on the floor. 8 points and you’re fired. Points stay for a year. Trickle down micromanagement is rampant and brings morale down from DOS level to Retail Sales Consultant on the bottom of the totem pole. Managers use “coaching” to write you up and reprimand you instead of actual coaching. Coachings are dependent on if your manager likes you. No bonuses for high performers. DIRECTV is everything now but always charges back and commission gets taken away based on what commission is worth that month which can hurt or benefit you. Trainings are a joke especially when you’re busy and have to click through videos and readings so you’re not put on a naughty list. Also, classroom trainings are more about facts and not based on actual sales techniques (but even that has been cut down). Commission is the main problem since I took the job based on my commission, not my hourly. Work/Life balance is HORRIBLE and based on seniority with schedule bidding process. So if you’re the most senior person in your location you can take all the weekends off and be able to leave early with opening schedules at 930am and can leave as early as 3-4pm sometimes, but if your 4th or lower in seniority you will have no life with your family or personal days since you’ll most likely be closing every night. Closing means whoever can make it inside the store before you lock the doors shut. So you could be there until 10-11pm. During thanksgiving and Christmas 12am. Oh, yeah, we get more money for selling premium DIRECTV but AT&T wants us to push a better product in DIRECTV NOW directly giving competition to our compensation.

Advice to Management

Micro-management is killing productivity and only brings morale down. Your constant nagging and conflict with our Union makes us not like you more especially when we rely on them when certain RSM’s have it out for us. If an employee gets to work and is sick as a dog, he/she should be sent home with no points. “Abuse of grace period” when clocking in is a joke and needs to stop being used to fire/harass RSCs. Also, your reliance on white board and real time numbers should not be rewarded since some of the highest sellers lie to customers and get charged back on commission and then they quit. Goals on gross adds and upgrades is not right and comp for accessories is a joke. I wish you would actually listen to our responses from our surveys. I’m looking for a new job and so are 3 others in my store. 1 other person quit. I’m on my 10th manager. The uncertainty is stressful and unfair. Treat your people with honesty, truth, respect, and morale will go up.

7. "Great opportunity with very little experience after college."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At&t is a very large corporation and at the time we were given 401k benefits even though we were only part time employees.

Cons

The major con is that you're working at a call center and there undoubtedly difficult calls and customers that you're going to have to endure.

8. "AT&T"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discounts and internal University is vast.

Cons

1. You are a profit not an employee
    2. Constant layoff's the company calls Surplussing
    3. Offshore 50% of call center work to foreign countries
    4. Buyout more companies and outsource work furthermore surplussing more people.
    5. Good Old boy mentality in the leadership ranks, if you have been with us 30 years we have your back no matter how much you can do wrong.

Advice to Management

Really take the turn for caring for your people not just saying you do. The only thing that matters to VP and above is the bottom line, profits.

9. "Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay and good benefits

Cons

Terrible Management, Constant Layoffs and outsourcing of jobs, always changing accounts around. NO consistency

Advice to Management

Need to take care better care of employees.

10. "Learned a lot about systems integration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarpon Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarpon Springs, FL

Pros

There were many brilliant minds working there. If one had the ability to put people at ease and win their trust, there was virtually no limit to the knowledge base one could construct.

Cons

The challenges revolved around internal corporate politics, for the most part. One had to be careful as to which "camp" with which one aligned oneself. Not an easy task for a newcomer.

Advice to Management

Due to the complex nature of the business, it might be a good idea to pair all newcomers with a "mentor" from a different department, to provide a more well/rounded vie of the company.

Showing 84 of 19,529 reviews