AT&T Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

Technician

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 894 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 506 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1091 reviews)

• "No work/life balance because work schedule changes daily" (in 313 reviews)

1. "Premises Technician"

Former Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Visalia, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits also paid training

Cons

Lays off, Let employees down.

2. "Wire Technician"

Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, discounts on service, company vehicle

Cons

Inept managers, work life balance, never feeling secure in position always looking for the next surplus to come.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. Stop being managers and try being leaders, because the two are not one in the same. Be proactive in problem solving instead of reactive.

3. "Premise Technicain"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is higher than most residential installation work, but it requires more knowledge. Get to work around a diverse set of people.

Cons

Management is pretty trash. Constant group meetings were nothing positive is said even though well over half the team is easily meeting there numbers. Having to constantly fix something that customer service should have been able to resolve. In 5 1/2 years I constantly was in the top 10% of the garage and I always felt like I was going to get wrote up for something outside of my control.

Advice to Management

Management training should come down from a director level. If 2 managers pull qualities on the same job the out come of those qualities should not very greatly. Also as I said before I constantly ran above average numbers and never felt safe in my position. The morning meetings are alway focused on negatives. If something is a trend address it in the group; if not, dress it with the person its directed.

4. "Wire Technician"

Former Employee - Wire Technician in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Wire Technician in Jackson, MS

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and the second best pay in the industry behind Century Link.

Cons

Upper Management, Hours, Work-Life balance, minimal promotional opportunities.

Advice to Management

Nothing will work

"Premises Technician"

Current Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - AT&T Premises Technician in Orange, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of time off
    Flexibility
    Great training
    Fun job

Cons

Poor back end support
    Unnecessary changes to interface we use
    Frequent changes to rewards program

Advice to Management

Listen to your techs when it comes to needed support

6. "Good Compay"

Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Carrboro, NC
    Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Carrboro, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company That Carea About Your Saftey

Cons

Working in the rain and snow

Advice to Management

Looks Good I wouldn't do 4/10 Shifts

7. "Wire Technician"

Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - AT&T Wire Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. If you like working alone and/or outdoors, you will get plenty of it here.

Cons

The company claims that employee safety is a top priority, but all that really means is that they don't want to pay out an insurance claim because of you. You're constantly under a microscope from management and it feels like, from day one, there's a case being built against you so they can fire you. You are randomly given a number of jobs at the beginning of the day, but there is no rhyme or reason as to what they give you, so it could potentially take you until midnight to complete your jobs (assuming customers actually still want you to come when their appointment window passed hours ago). Bringing any of this up to management gets you nowhere. There's constantly equipment shortages and you will often have to leave in the middle of a job to drive across town to pick up whatever you need. Supply orders are constantly weeks behind. I personally was less stressed when I was in the military than I am at this job. It's just not worth it.

Advice to Management

Start actually caring about your employees instead of just saying you do. Come up with a better system to balance out the work load evenly among employees.

"Not for the employees"

Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was OK. Benefits were are along the line of industry standards.

Cons

Constantly being forced to work overtime, no real home life. Unrealistic expectations. Everything is your fault no matter what.

Advice to Management

All need to be on the same page when it comes to expectations.

9. "ATT Mobility"

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T (More than 10 years)

Pros

The daily work environment was good.

Cons

Company is currently undergoing large workforce reduction and closing numerous work centers, and has announced a 30% planned reduction by 2020.

10. "Pays Enough to Be Miserable"

Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - U-Verse Premises Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great.
    Benefits are the best you can find.
    So much overtime you can easily make $5-6k a month.
    Discounts on services.
    Adoption Assistance.
    Education Reimbursement

Cons

High Stress:
    —> You are constantly looking over your shoulder, even when you aren’t doing wrong, because the second you make a human error it’s straight to discipline.
    —> You are expected to meet metrics each day that are increased every so often ranging from amount of time spent on a job, if a customer calls customer service within 30 days, how many jobs you “Jep” (Your customer wasn’t home, Need a lineman, have no equipment, etc), customer surveys, and the list goes on.
    —> Some days you are bulk loaded with installs/repairs, sometimes it’s nice, but mostly they are back to back appointments, so taking lunch could throw you behind. Which leads to the next topic.
    —> Customers are great and why we have jobs, however, they are one of the most stressful of the job. Sometimes they are so frustrated with issues because customer service dropped the ball, their bill is wrong, another tech performed poorly, etc. Technicians literally walk into a battlefield completely unarmed, get yelled and cursed at, but haven’t even shook their hand and announced your name. The more you spend listening to their issues/insults will result in time taken away from how fast you complete the job and likely will receive a poor survey; The poor survey is graded on the technician, however, the customer is so angry that they blotch it all, because they see them as AT&T, not an individual.

Software Systems & Production:

Multi-Billion Dollar company, one of the largest in the world, but you wouldn’t believe how often we have outages on the back-end from poor decisions made by our development team. Developers will push updates that will bring down everything we use, not always for a few minutes, but sometimes a few hours. Get where I’m going with this?
    Sometimes it is the systems we use to do our jobs.
    Sometimes it is the firmware in our equipment.
    This all affects our Efficiency, DE, Quality metrics, Surveys, etc. Guess who takes the blame at the end of the month? The Technician and First Line Manager...
    Every 15 minutes a technician wastes can be 2-6% deducted from their 100% scale for efficiency. From start to finish to complete their job through our software can easily take 20 minutes per job. Even longer with outages.

Last to get wet, First to drown:

When I first started, it was just as bad as it is now, but their was a brief period that everyone in my district was..... Happy! We had a Vice President that came from Directv after the purchase and he was great! Our director came from the merger as well, and the vibe instantly changed. Everyone had a smile when you walked in, our shop was remodeled with even a new lounge area with coffee machines, TVs in every wall, some to watch, and some to acknowledge technicians.
    They had the mentality of “What can we do do make your job easier.” They made it acceptable to idle in our trucks enough to periodically cool off from the heat. We had new tools to replace our weak/broken ones and managers even brought us cold drinks frequently during the summer! We even got to know our district (Area) manager on a first name basis with cookouts, new customer service training, etc. Everyone performed well and did it with a smile, I think we were even setting records?
    But...
    Our VP took over another department and another took his chair by a lateral transfer......
    Within a month there was an attempt to lay off hundreds of technicians with an announcement a week from Christmas. Several managers were let go.
    Within a matter of weeks our shops became dark and cold again. Summer time came and managers weren’t even bringing drinks to cool us off, but a few did one week out of their own pockets, because our VP said it wasn’t a productive use of capital dollars, and that led to a 5 minute allotment to idle between each job (which can take up to 4-5 hours) Our second line now talks to us, but forces his managers to turn against his techs, because somebody has to.
    Technicians trade supplies everyday because budgets were frozen to boost quarterly numbers for stockholders.
    We have little stock of equipment because of trying to cut cost of production to get by with what we have (Even though we’re basically making water out of thin air at this point)
    Bonus system was changed, drove the requirements to get it sky high, but lowered the payout, so it’s not worth killing yourself over to get anymore.
    The list goes on....

Nobody is really happy anymore, just there to put food on the table, because leaving would cause financial ruin.
    My cons greatly overcome my pros, because this job does provide a high quality personal life that you can’t just stop cold turkey. They know that.
    Stockholders are happy. Executives are happy.
    We’re only a number that takes from their multi million dollar bonuses they get.

Advice to Management

They walk on water, they don’t need advice from a “nobody.”
    Guess make your people happy and care more about them than the money. We carry the operation on our backs, atleast let us have more than 5 minutes to cool off with a provided Gatorade?