AT&T Technology Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "The best in the world"

Current Employee - Information Technology Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technology Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They take care of their employees

Cons

I have no complaints whatsoever

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Technology Solutions Manager"

Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, understanding managers, flexible hours

Cons

Constant change, lack of team building, some mananger's rarely interact with direct reports

3. "Sr Technology Solutions Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every resource imaginable, wide array of career development options.

Cons

Navigating that largesse can be difficult

Advice to Management

Insist on better tools that are more than dumps from your off shore programming partners.

4. "AT&T Senior Business Manager - Technology Development - I love working here."

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager - Technology Development in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technology growth and employee development is very extensive. Strong company culture. Spirit of continuous challenge and personal growth. Active transformation in our Fortune 6 company with expansions from traditional communications into data analytics, mobile communications and devices, growth into entertainment with expansions via Time Warner and Latin America via DIRECT acquisition. Excellent 401 (k) match of 80% for the 1st 6% of salary allocated to 401 (k) resulting in 10.8% savings to retirement each year. Great benefits and tuition plans. Recognized as one of Fortune Magazines Best Places to Work. I have been here 31 years and while there have been challenges each and every year I am proud of my company and I have many great friends here.

Cons

You have to constantly grow and reinvent yourself to ensure your relevance in our workforce and fully embrace change. This is a challenge, not a negative. I think of the time tested axiom, "change or die".

Advice to Management

Always lead by example, not just edict. Always choose integrity over expediency.

5. "Employee Resource Groups"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros to working at ATT are the resources for employees. If an employee desires to improve themselves and their careers, the ERGs provide an outlet to do that.

Cons

The Cons are the size in which employees exist as a business where competition is strong. Employees are struggling to do the work, training and finding their place in a continually changing environment where management by RIF is a monumental concern.

Advice to Management

Don't just look to continually improve, but become more intimate with the conditions, reality that spark the increased drive to spark improvement.

6. "Little focus and no employee value"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Tools and Technology in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Tools and Technology in Bothell, WA

Pros

Honestly, there isn't really anything positive about AT&T. Phone used to be free, no they charge.

Cons

Awful health benefits; no profit sharing; employees are not valued, Pay is not competitive, leadership at management levels are poor

Advice to Management

Place value in employees, better pay, allow tenured employees to make business decisions.

"Sr. Technology Solutions Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Solutions Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Welcoming/inclusive atmosphere
    Current applications of technology

Cons

Extremely high levels of stress and anxiety
    "Sweat shop" work environment
    Very limited internal career opportunities

Advice to Management

Provide real, meaningful oppurtunities for your workers and low-level managers to move to new roles within the company. Executive management talks about how such opportunities exist, but they really do not. It often takes months, sometimes years, after applying for dozens of jobs which often result in no interviews and no feedback, to finally be given a new opportunity. Also, the actual jobs often do not match their descriptions or how they are advertised.

Work harder at reducing the stressors your employees face each day. The last role I had with AT&T, which I was pressured into taking when my executive director decided our team was no longer needed and eliminated it, was not a good fit for me. I went to work every day filled with dread and apprehension, and finally had to leave the company after searching unsuccessfully for a new position for many, many months. I felt that my 18 years of service with AT&T were completely unappreciated by the company I had worked hard serving.

"They think they're a tech company but really they an old-school telco."

Former Employee - Technology Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's better than Burger King. Well, almost. At Burger King you get free food, no such luck at AT&T. The benefits are not great.

Cons

The benefits are terrible, they are not market-competitive. Getting anything done requires too much red tape, and management has a "If you don't like it, leave" attitude. Which is why I left.

Advice to Management

Your employees can be your greatest asset. One day you'll learn this, pray it's not too late.

9. "AT&T Can Do Better"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

Longevity is key to security

Cons

Recognition and encouragement. Educational oportunities and training support

Advice to Management

Show respect to subordinates. Come up with some fresh ideas. Diversify the business. Be agressive about inovation.

10. "AT&T - OK to work for, but unfair in downsizing"

Former Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Security Manager

Pros

The pay is very good compared to others, I think. I had the luxury of working from home and that was a tremendous benefit. Most of the direct supervisors I'd had in my time there were excellent, one was spectacular, and a couple were awful... probably about the average. I felt that my immediate supervisors (the good ones) were supportive and appreciative of my abilities and my work and the standard system of "team awards" (bonuses) was a very nice extra.

Cons

Upper management is clueless about how to treat the worker-bees. There were generally NO opportunities for company supported technical training - one high level executive had stated that since he never had taken formalized training classes he didn't believe that anyone else should need them. It has become, over the time I was there, a back-biting, take care of yourself type of environment and if you don't have a "friend" up high to watch your back... well you're suddenly "surplussed!"

Advice to Management

The company is too big for its own good at this point. Stop acquiring new companies and spend time seeing what you have and how to KEEP the people that have made it all work for you. I think the company is being run by the HR department, everything done to cover the butts of management to keep from being sued. Own up, remove or discipline the truly useless employees and concentrate on how to retain and reward the ones who are working hard for you.