AT&T Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 970 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 277 reviews)

1. "AT&T Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

Well Paid
    Great People
    Company invests in developing employees

Cons

Too many people working from home - disconnected/disengaged feeling
    Constant reorganizations
    Wireline products do not work

Advice to Management

Locate offices in urban and suburban areas

2. "ASM"

Current Employee - Assistant Store in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

money is decent now that its base is more and the commission is less. about 25/hr 6,000 commission /yr if at 100% to goal. Can really make a lot with enough overtime. Even with all the bullshyt and problems I'm a better manager from it. If you can make at AT&T you can pretty much make it anyways. What doesn't kill makes you stronger...right?

Cons

enormous amount of pressure to sell with unrealistic goals. upper management in my area are cut throat. They smile in your face but are ready to through you under bus to save their own butt. not the right accountability. standards and expectations are not even across the board. A lot of mixing business and personal relationship too. A lot of politics no every says what they mean, and if you are a person that does you won't last long.

Advice to Management

we get it stake/share holders are important, but so are the low level employees and the customer we serve. its hard to get sales rep to sell when your constantly cutting their commission and increasing their goals.

"Network Enterprise Architect"

Current Employee - Lead Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent leading edge technical responsibilities.

Cons

lack of continuity due to technical staff physically located domestic/internationally. Slow reaction time.

Advice to Management

Provide a more robust communication tool.

4. "Great Company benefits, but growing too fast to keep great employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent training opportunities, good salary range, telecommuting available for some positions, some great managers who trust their people can and will do their jobs.....but still some micro managers in need of people training

Cons

Growing so fast, acquiring additional companies adds to employee base, you never know if/when you will be on the lay off list created by phantom persons (not your direct management chain) so you can be the best at what you do, get awards Star Performance or Key Contributor Awards every year and still get hit in the next Lay off, so you work 60-70 hours a week to stay above average but can still get hit, my advice work your 40 and call it a week no matter what level you are at.

Habit of promoting technical people into management positions without training them to become people managers causes difficulties in their transition from doing the job to managing the people doing the job, managers need to team build, encourage, create career paths with employees not try to do the job of the employee.

Advice to Management

Take a breath, realize how your buying spree is impacting the families of the people you are laying off, many of us that have been laid off dedicated ourselves to your success, we have been cast aside without given real opportunities to train for your "newly acquired " companies positions, applying for those positions is a waste of time as it seems if your name is on the list of laid off during that 2 month period from notification to exit date it's nearly impossible to get an interview with the hiring manager of that new company (which it seems is where most positions are available from) as they are thinking of where their people need to be placed once their safety net expires under the purchase agreement. Get team management involved in layoff decisions, over 20% of my team was laid off, I was told that there is no way up to my group VP I would have been laid off if they had a say in the decision, they have reached out to me since my leaving trying to get me to apply for one opportunity or another at the company or at a vendor of the company.

5. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Management in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent hours, good co-workers.

Cons

Unrealistic quotas, little room for growth.

6. "Sr. Tech Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Good management syle and upward mobility

Cons

Processes to wide ranging. No cross project team coordination

Advice to Management

Synergy

7. "Good Experience but Lots of Red Tape"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who you work with directly are great and you form a great team. Obviously you get out of it what you put into it.

Cons

Office politics often determine who gets opportunities for growth. Also, the company actively changes the goals or compensation plan to insure that no one regularly exceeds the targeted commission structure. The term "no good deed goes unpunished" certainly applies to all commissioned levels of AT&T.

Advice to Management

Performance based promotions would be a key. Also reward don't punish your people who exceed the goals that are established for them.

8. "Client Solutions Executive"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive I in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Salary, benefits, commissions and schedule. If you want that sales job that gives you a 9-5 Monday through Friday. This would be that type of career. Meet with small business owners across your territory and get those guys over to the best wireless company in the world. AT&T provides a numerous amount of resources to make you successful in your position. Fast and Great opportunity to
    Move to different role with higher pay each year based upon your previous years results.

Cons

Don't max out your quotes every month because they will sky rocket your target the next month.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Job Security & Decent Benefits, No Room for Creativity"

Former Employee - Retail Management in Washington, DC

Pros

-When working in Dallas and Atlanta, everyone was drinking the corporate koolaid and singing AT&T's praises. It really built up morale.
    -I moved a few times within the company, AT&T is always willing to work with you on relocation packages and adjusting salary offers for cost of living.
    -Lots of tickets to baseball games! AT&T pretty much sponsors every MLB team so I went to Braves, Nationals, Orioles, and Giants games.
    -Job security for anyone at the Store Manager level and above
    -For people in the retail organization, there are many opportunities to get additional bonuses
    -Great senior leadership, those at the VP level (sometimes even at the director level too) and above have a great vision and really inspire those who work for them

Cons

-Managers under the VP level are so results-oriented that they don't remember that this organization needs to value its employees.
    -No room for creativity -- they want you to get things done in the least innovative way possible
    -I worked in retail for some time and the Union is utterly useless. It only works to make your job even harder as a store manager and area sales manager. While this isn't AT&T's fault, it makes it incredibly hard to do your job
    -Company tries to focus on feedback loops to develop employees but very few at the organization actually do this; mostly managers just tell you where you need to improve without trying to help you get there (there are, of course, exceptions)
    -No culture of accountability
    -Takes a very long time to get anything done within AT&T - both in regards to customer accounts and business processes

Advice to Management

-Be positive! Feedback should be encouraging, not discouraging.
    -Inspire your team and show them that you're willing to get in the trenches and work with them. Show up at a retail location on a day no one else wants to be there -- Black Friday or Christmas Eve or New Years Day/Eve
    -Have more team builders. People want to have fun.
    -Don't micromanage.
    -Leave room for creativity and innovation.

"Director of Dignitary And Executive Services"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative and Director of Dignitary and Executive Services in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved AT&T's High Standards and superior products and services. The work atmosphere was empowering and flexible, and I had complete trust and authority to build & grow my business in an entrepreneurial fashion.

Clientele with whom I worked and supported were involved in world-changing events and included: The White House & State DepartmentProtocol offices, Political Campaigns, Presidential International Travel, The White House Press Corps, and the various traveling Heads-of-State (Presidents, Kings & Queens, Prime Ministers, and various other ministers all the Foreign Embassies in DC and NY, and VVIPS attending Official White House State Visits, or other events, such as the G8, G20, Peace Talks, various special Summits, Camp David Events, United Nations Opening and Special Sessions, IMF & World Bank meetings, and Heads-of-State personal travel in the USA and selected global events depending on the event. I also had access to cutting edge technologies.

Cons

Limited budgets and legacy processes and databases. Sometimes responsibilities overlapped the work of other teams, which could cause challenges in roles and responsibilities, and revenue credit.

Advice to Management

Try to become a bit less conservative concerning change and the adoption of newest trends and technologies.

AT&T Response

May 31, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback – it’s very important to us and the work we do to make AT&T a better place to work. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the work... More

Showing 47 of 16,202 reviews