AT&T Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

4.0
AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are better than I’ve ever dreamed imaginable" (in 890 reviews)

• "There is a proper work life balance" (in 503 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor work life balance if you have a family due to American working hours" (in 1082 reviews)

• "very long hours; no work-life balance" (in 312 reviews)

1. "Sales and Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing industry, the top firm in the telecom/IT space, exciting and evolving strategy. Many very smart people. National presence and variety of positions/opportunities.

Cons

Very large company, often with positions that are remote, so can have limited camaraderie opportunities sometimes.

Advice to Management

AT&T has an excellent, long-term-view strategy to continue as the industry lead. It is critical that managers be made to manage DOWNward as well as upward, with at least as much attention/energy/focus.

2. "Great Company to work for."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is opportunity for career growth and advancement. Great benefits. Affordable health insurance.

Cons

I can't think of anything right now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

3. "Good experience, ruined by bad management"

Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Support Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-It offers good pay for retail
    -If you're good at selling (or a favorite of the good old boys club that ran the DC stores), lots of opportunity to move up in the company
    -I learned a lot about operations and audits, which I was able to leverage into a new job at a different company whose values much more closely matched my own
    -At least when I was there, I got a full 50% discount on my AT&T bill. Who knows if they still offer this though.

Cons

Where to begin....
    -A rotating series of (mostly) bad managers. My first manager was fired for sexual harassment. My second manager was great. My third manager should have been fired for sexual harassment. My fourth manager was reported multiple times to the Ethics department by my colleagues for doing very sketchy things. My fifth manager was absolutely amazing.
    -Corporate had a well-known policy of shaking up and rotating around managers every 6-12 months, leading to a lot of instability in any given location.
    -Sales goals were set by out-of-touch people maybe a dozen levels above the frontline reps in the stores, meaning that sales reps were constantly required to sell services and products no one wanted and aggressively reprimanded when they inevitably fell short (e.g. Try selling Digital Life in DC, where most of your customers lived in multi-family or townhouse-style homes that for a long time didn't even qualify for the service).
    -Pay and benefits were cut constantly - you had to work harder for less and less as the years went on. This was especially true for Sales Reps on commission (as an SSR I did not make commission).
    -There was constant pressure to cut corners, misrepresent services, and in some cases straight up lie to customers in order to hit metrics. I refused to participate in these schemes, and when I was told I had no choice, I decided to find a new job and had one within a month.
    -The company culture, at least in my experience, felt very much like an old boys' network. If you weren't "in," you weren't going anywhere. If you were, you could literally steal from the company and they'd protect you. At my store, I watched the managers hire hire about 15 men and 0 women while telling me that sexism had nothing to do with it. Right.
    -CWA is the most useless labor union ever. What union in its right mind doesn't negotiate for ANY sick leave for its employees? AT&T gives a decent amount of PTO, but you have to request it 2 months in advance, which means you have to take sick time unpaid and accrue attendance penalties every single day, which can lead to your firing. I saw good coworkers be put on final warning and fired because they or their family members had the audacity to have a bad illness or injury.

Advice to Management

Take care of your frontline employees. The pressure they're under gives them a strong incentive to misrepresent products to customers to make sales, and in turn that contributes to customers' dissatisfaction with the company.

4. "ASM"

Current Employee - Assistant Store in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

money is decent now that its base is more and the commission is less. about 25/hr 6,000 commission /yr if at 100% to goal. Can really make a lot with enough overtime. Even with all the bullshyt and problems I'm a better manager from it. If you can make at AT&T you can pretty much make it anyways. What doesn't kill makes you stronger...right?

Cons

enormous amount of pressure to sell with unrealistic goals. upper management in my area are cut throat. They smile in your face but are ready to through you under bus to save their own butt. not the right accountability. standards and expectations are not even across the board. A lot of mixing business and personal relationship too. A lot of politics no every says what they mean, and if you are a person that does you won't last long.

Advice to Management

we get it stake/share holders are important, but so are the low level employees and the customer we serve. its hard to get sales rep to sell when your constantly cutting their commission and increasing their goals.

5. "AT&T Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

Well Paid
    Great People
    Company invests in developing employees

Cons

Too many people working from home - disconnected/disengaged feeling
    Constant reorganizations
    Wireline products do not work

Advice to Management

Locate offices in urban and suburban areas

"Network Enterprise Architect"

Current Employee - Lead Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent leading edge technical responsibilities.

Cons

lack of continuity due to technical staff physically located domestic/internationally. Slow reaction time.

Advice to Management

Provide a more robust communication tool.

7. "Great Company benefits, but growing too fast to keep great employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent training opportunities, good salary range, telecommuting available for some positions, some great managers who trust their people can and will do their jobs.....but still some micro managers in need of people training

Cons

Growing so fast, acquiring additional companies adds to employee base, you never know if/when you will be on the lay off list created by phantom persons (not your direct management chain) so you can be the best at what you do, get awards Star Performance or Key Contributor Awards every year and still get hit in the next Lay off, so you work 60-70 hours a week to stay above average but can still get hit, my advice work your 40 and call it a week no matter what level you are at.

Habit of promoting technical people into management positions without training them to become people managers causes difficulties in their transition from doing the job to managing the people doing the job, managers need to team build, encourage, create career paths with employees not try to do the job of the employee.

Advice to Management

Take a breath, realize how your buying spree is impacting the families of the people you are laying off, many of us that have been laid off dedicated ourselves to your success, we have been cast aside without given real opportunities to train for your "newly acquired " companies positions, applying for those positions is a waste of time as it seems if your name is on the list of laid off during that 2 month period from notification to exit date it's nearly impossible to get an interview with the hiring manager of that new company (which it seems is where most positions are available from) as they are thinking of where their people need to be placed once their safety net expires under the purchase agreement. Get team management involved in layoff decisions, over 20% of my team was laid off, I was told that there is no way up to my group VP I would have been laid off if they had a say in the decision, they have reached out to me since my leaving trying to get me to apply for one opportunity or another at the company or at a vendor of the company.

8. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Retail Management in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent hours, good co-workers.

Cons

Unrealistic quotas, little room for growth.

9. "Sr. Tech Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T (More than a year)

Pros

Good management syle and upward mobility

Cons

Processes to wide ranging. No cross project team coordination

Advice to Management

Synergy

10. "Good Experience but Lots of Red Tape"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who you work with directly are great and you form a great team. Obviously you get out of it what you put into it.

Cons

Office politics often determine who gets opportunities for growth. Also, the company actively changes the goals or compensation plan to insure that no one regularly exceeds the targeted commission structure. The term "no good deed goes unpunished" certainly applies to all commissioned levels of AT&T.

Advice to Management

Performance based promotions would be a key. Also reward don't punish your people who exceed the goals that are established for them.

Showing 50 of 18,485 reviews