AT&T Reviews in York, PA | Glassdoor

AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson
Randall L. Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • little work life balance opportunity (in 979 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance you'll trade time for (in 278 reviews)

"Retail Cellular Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in York, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in York, PA

I worked at AT&T (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting base pay. Raises come relatively quickly after you start. Perks and benefits are good. Company cell phone provided. With commissions, was on track to make total of $45k or more first year.

Cons

The micromanagement in the retail setting was exceedingly over the top. It was a regular occurrence where you would be scheduled to a certain time and end up staying an extra hour, 1.5 hours even 2 hours sometimes when a customer came in at the last minute of your shift. There is so much to learn. Probably take even a tech savvy person a good year or more to learn everything if you haven't worked specifically with cell phones before. This can be very stressful. Retail customers could be very rude and demanding. I had one customer come in and off the bat say something like, "I want a new cell phone and I don't want to pay anymore for it or I'm going to Verizon." I attempted to help her out, but I made a mistake in the price quote because AT&T had recently made changes to the quoting software. I apologized to her and she just got up and walked out in the middle of the transaction. Apparently she came back at a later time and said, "I was the ONE who was rude." Management sat me down and had a talk. I confirmed to them she was the one who was rude and they know this kind of thing happens with customers all the time, but they weren't interested in backing me on it.

Advice to Management

You anticipated a 40% drop in device sales because the market is saturated. That was known. Why make salespeople bear the unrealistic brunt of that with extreme micromanagement? Come out with some new products people need instead of trying to resell them another cell phone every 1 to 2 years. Don't be so BIG on customer service that you put the demands of rude and unreasonable customers above the respect of good salespeople. Create a better work / life balance by allowing employees to go home when they are scheduled to go home.

Showing 1 of 16,503 review