AT&T Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Randall L. Stephenson

"Great Company"

Director, Product Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Company, I like work for them

Cons

None, no cons to mention. positive

Advice to Management

none

AT&T2019-02-02
  2. "Stable if nothing else"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable large company that was around before your lifetime and will be there after you’re gone. Good benefits and discounts. Decent work life balance

Cons

You’re just a number. It’s difficult to truly manage your career if passionate about a line of work. Best for those who are passionate about company and not necessarily what they do. They don’t want long term employees since they are too costly to pay benefits for. The definition of bureaucratic

AT&T2019-02-14
  3. "Director of Business Customer Information"

Former Employee - Director Market Insights in Dallas, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable environment to work in.

Cons

Slow to develop employee talents

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees again

AT&T2019-01-28
  4. "My #LifeAtATT"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Allows me to give others a look inside at my amazing career with AT&T. It's a place where you can grow , learn new technology, fine tune your skills and have fun at the same time.

Cons

I have been with AT&T for most of my career life and can honestly say, I don't have any cons about my career here.

AT&T2019-01-23
  5. "Keep moving forward"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

culture, benefits, colleagues, important work - new discovery district coming soon!

Cons

decisions take too long at times

Advice to Management

listen to employees, keep up to date technology for employees so we can move faster

AT&T2019-01-23

"Toxic Work Environment + Desperate People = Run"

Current Employee - Director in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discounts on wireless, TV and internet are nice. You can also pretty much apply for any position within the company and land it, even if you have zero experience in that area. In fact, the less experience you have in certain fields, the better off you are as a candidate since AT&T rarely follows anything like industry standards (other than Agile or what they think is Agile). I guess that's a pro?

Cons

One of the worst corporate cultures I have ever seen. Corruption is off the charts, rampant backstabbing whenever an opportunity presents itself, undermining of efforts through the withholding of information needed to complete tasks, work silos, and the list goes on and on. Every company has politics, but AT&T is on a whole different level. There is also an incredibly unfair "country club" culture at work in... Atlanta, with hostile groups that will box you out if they don't like you...and they don't like anyone that doesn't fall in line with their way of doing things. And God help you if you're in a time zone other than Eastern, because they will treat you like a nobody, and will make it very difficult for you to complete your work. Video subscribers are churning more than a Land O'Lakes butter factory. And it's only getting worse. The DIRECTV brand has been tarnished. The WarnerMedia acquisition has created severe debt problems for AT&T, and the company is promising Wall Street a rapid "pay down," and one of the ways they plan on doing that is through massive layoffs, which are referred to as surplus events internally. A layoff culture, like AT&T's, creates a workforce that is more conflict than collaboration, and right now, I would describe the workforce in some organizations as "all-out war."

Advice to Management

Start assessing your level 3 and 4 employees (directors and AVPs). Many of them are harming your business by creating ridiculous rivalries and turf battles; that, or they're "leading from behind." Manage them out before it's too late. And as much as I hate to say this, the layoffs need to continue. AT&T desperately needs a youth movement because, as it stands, the company looks like a ship that, while not... exactly sinking, doesn't look seaworthy...and will soon be blown out of the water by more formidable vessels (Disney, Netflix, Apple, Verizon). And the reason for this is a massive workforce full of 20-40+ year veterans that simply refuse to change, and will sabotage anyone that tries to innovate or remove layers of bureaucracy. I'm sorry, but it's truly that bad in many groups. Short and sweet: Clean house and pay down the debt. Recruit the right people. Innovate instead of acquire.

AT&T2019-02-08

"This company is really terrible"

Current Employee - Director in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

They're big and that can open up opportunities for you. Also the name looks good on a resume.

Cons

Just about everything else. This is the most disorganized company I have ever had anything to do with. What annoys me most, though, is the phony company culture that preaches about caring about the customer and employee while CONSTANTLY laying people off and trying to exploit and trick the customer. Also, many of the business units are run like sweat shops. This is a very unethical company that needs to be... broken up by the government.

Advice to Management

Actually act on your words. Everyone knows AT&T is run by a bunch of double-speaking phonies.

AT&T2018-11-19
  8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Variety of positions available - not boring

Cons

High stress - lots of hours - unrealistic expectations at times

Advice to Management

Plan better and stop believing rosy sales forecasts

AT&T2018-09-23

"Positive experience, but comes with all the big company issues"

Director, Strategy Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Work is interesting, hours are manageable, benefits are pretty good

Cons

Difficult to get things done given all the approvals and red tape.

Advice to Management

Add daycare, doggie care, gym, healthier food options to the campus

AT&T2018-09-12

"Few things about AT&T"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great long term strategy and stable company

Cons

Moving many jobs to Dallas is silly for such a global company.

Advice to Management

Improve communication to employees on changes. Delegate decision to employees makes for better morale through empowerment. Less re-orgs to create stability and continuity

AT&T2018-09-10