ATA Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Larry Dion

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, working on your own" (in 12 reviews)

• "flexible hours and enjoyable work if you like grocery stores" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be difficult to adequately service a store within the allotted target time" (in 10 reviews)

• "What I considered a great part-time job is now not so great" (in 7 reviews)

1. "retail merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Kitty Hawk, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Kitty Hawk, NC

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

wonderful people to deal with

Cons

very few hours. pay is not all that great for experienced merchandisers

Advice to Management

more opportunities and hours

"I worked there for a week and then got the heck out of there."

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I worked at ATA Retail part-time

Pros

I had a nice supervisor. You work alone.

Cons

So many. It's not really a hard job, but overall, it was stressful because they just don't give you enough time to get the stuff out and they don't want to pay you for all of the time you spend shipping stuff back to Fed Ex and filling out orders when you get home.
    It wasn't a flexible job for me because I had to be there when the managers were there in the stock room. They were also uncooperative and I was told I had to basically kiss his butt so that he would be nice. Give me a break. The guy thought it was funny to put large, heavy boxes all the way up on the highest shelves so I had to climb up there and break my neck trying to get them down.
    The managers in the store hated us. They didn't want to have us putting all that crap up all over the place and half of the time they'd have stuff moved which took time to reorganize.
    Their tech support stinks too. I can't tell you how long it took me to get a glitch resolved so I could fill out some employment agreement. I could see it being a real nightmare if there were problems with the order forms.
    I found myself always thinking about the damned job when I was home, making sure I knew when the stock room people were going to be in, having to call them to double check etc.... and all of this was on my personal phone, and on my laptop. It was just not worth the money and the pressure they put on you to work on your own dime is just not right.

Advice to Management

Pay your merchandisers without nickel and dining them.

"Flexible"

Former Employee - Part-time Merchandiser in Perry, GA
    Former Employee - Part-time Merchandiser in Perry, GA

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to work a very flexible schedule, was reimbursed for mileage on certain jobs. The boss I dealt with directly was very helpful.

Cons

Unrealistic time limits for some jobs. Also unrealistic product expectations for certain stores. I was constantly "restocking" things that hadn't sold because I had to reorder a certain amount

Advice to Management

More time to do jobs.

4. "Corporate"

Former Employee - Corporate in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Hayward, CA

I worked at ATA Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ATA was a great privately held company to work for. They have since merged with LAMI products so I'm not sure about the company culture now.

Cons

They are now owned by investors

Advice to Management

Keep the family dynamic the same as it was.

5. "Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Houston, TX

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offers Flexible Schedule & Hours
    Flexible Route depending on Zip Code &
    Friendly Support &
    Neighbor grocery Stores

Cons

Mileage- Lack of Miles- Internet Usage -Administrative Time -Not Enough Pay Covered! So much time allowed to complete the project on each store assigned and entered the information afterwards. -- Researched ---many merchandisers did not get paid fairly on every level i.e. Time, projects, mileage and Administrative Time.

Did not accept Position after receiving On Board paperwork -- which I completed, I changed my mind-- after researching due to "Google" Federal Wage Lawsuits on both companies prior to the merger.

Be aware--- please research---

Advice to Management

Please provide better package for part time merchandisers!!!! Do not stiff the important of this job-- this will cause additional lawsuits in federal/state court(s) even though both companies merged.

Provide bonuses, more administrative / internet time & car mileage for the entire routes plus car maintenance allowance.

Merchandisers need a data entry device.Or yet company laptop to do the job within the store.

News America Marketing is best for providing all this to the merchandisers to the same stores that Jacent does!!!! But Jacent needs to get on board right away and do it! Hey,
    Jacent. --- please no more lawsuits by your merchandisers due to unfair wages--- please.

"Since merger with LaMi, micromanagement and some pressure to work uncompensated."

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time

Pros

Assigned a group of stores (route) which are serviced (usually weekly). You will order, maintain and pack out merchandise on clip strips throughout the store following a detailed action plan. My supervisor is awesome and always easily reached if any issues arise. If you are a person with a good work ethic who takes pride in a job well done and can work unsupervised, who doesn't mind low hours and driving from store to store, this job can be a good fit.

Pays more than minimum wage.

Cons

Service times can be tight.

Can be difficult to adequately service a store within the allotted target time. Service times are figured based on order size. There are times you will be expected to service a 15-20+ aisle store, with clipstrips located every 8 feet on both sides of the aisle, packing out an order, while writing a new order, straightening/rotating/cleaning existing stock, in an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes. If the order is larger, service times increase. If you go over service time, you will be paid but you need to provide an adequate reason and get approval from your supervisor.

Prior to the merger, I never felt pressure if I went over service time. Since merger, new LaMi Territory Managers micromanage, appear distrustful of overages in service time and travel time. Therefore, some pressure to work uncompensated exists unless you're willing to cut corners and do a subpar job. Also since the merger, there has been an increase in administrative tasks which can also be uncompensated (for example, TMs as for "clarity" regarding overages in service time or regarding travel time. You will have to write out a detailed response and you won't get paid for this time). I never had this issue when the company was ATA.

No raises. No advancement. It is what it is.

They will change a person's route (adding or removing stores with significant changes to travel) without input from the affected employee.

When all is said and done you may find you spend a fair amount of time weekly on uncompensated "notes", phone calls, etc. which can be particularly galling since you service times are calculated to the minute (i.e. Service Time: 1 hr. 37 minutes). You may find you used all your service time to adequately service a store and order entry and payroll are input on your dime, not theirs.

Outlook unclear. What I considered a great part-time job is now not so great.

Advice to Management

Service times should take into consideration the size of the store, not just order size. The micromanagement of good employees by new LaMi TMs is belittling and dehumanizing.

"Full time work with Part time pay and all the Hostility, Disrespect, and intimidation you can handle!"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fee stapler, Collapsable crate, And zip ties to use around the house.

Cons

Unfortunately companies this lack of employee appreciation still exist in America. It doesn't take long to read between the lines of complacency and ignorance especially in the area of Management. "Full time work for part time pay" is the only guarantee. When your manager gloats of zero proven achievements in an interpretive mindless arena as "clip strip" display and hasn't updated their haircut since the​ 80's, Run

Advice to Management

You've been a success at one thing that's for certain a "Hostile work environment" that prey's on the weak and elderly. Start by putting the respect and compensation where it belongs back to the employees. And if you keep any of your Dilusional, Sub par, scapegoating managers send them to ethics and formal Management classes sometimes I hear you actually can fix stupid!

"Stocker"

Former Employee - Stocker in Sterling Park, VA
    Former Employee - Stocker in Sterling Park, VA

I worked at ATA Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that it's a job.

Cons

When problems arise (with the stores you serve) ATA Management is no where to be found. They tell you that you don't work weekends...but you do. Training is easy. But the lady that you Skype with seems a little racist. (They way she referred to "blacks") Management tells you that you can call them any time but when issues come up and it's past 5 p.m. you're better off sending Smoke Signals.
    A lot of times you get merchandise that is useless but they force you to put it up with little (Christmas stuff in july) time to do so. Most of the time the floor plan is off. For example aisle 1 (the bread aisle) shows aisle 6 ( the juice aisle)

Advice to Management

Listen to your new employees ideas and have their backs. Answer your phone when one calls for assistance. At times the job is stressful and you guys do not support your employees. Just because most of your work force is retired or are college students doe not mean that everyone will put up with the stress. Be understanding.

"Has been good to me"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at ATA Retail part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Thorough training, flexibility, autonomy, good relationships with store personal, have good territory mgr if questions or concerns.

Cons

Low mileage pay when traveling. (Recently changed to fit IRS amount though)

Advice to Management

I wish I still had the same mgrs. They changed to LAMI supervisors when the companies merged. (Now there is constant breathing over my shoulder and pressure)

"The days are "over""

I worked at ATA Retail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management provided a bonus structure (though inconsistent) to suplement sub-standard salaries base on individual and company performance.

Cons

Ownership did not acknowledge or reward the individuals who excelled in their roles and delivered a paridigm change in company performance. This has lead to an equity buy-out and substantial wealth for the "amigos" and benevolent leader. Many key team members responsible for the company's performance have retired or been forced out; leaving the kool-aid drinking minions. Not surprising, just disappointing.

Advice to Management

you need to convert the buyout soon before the customers get wise tonthe poor service at store level. The merchandising standards of the combined companies are suspecrt at best.