ATCO Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ATCO President, CEO and Director ATCO and Canadian Utilities Nancy C. Southern
Nancy C. Southern

Pros
Cons
  • Corporate culture, management, human resources (don't even get me started on what a worthless group that is) (in 4 reviews)

• However, the reality is that business operations are what matters and will always trump everything else (in 3 reviews)

1. "ATCO Engineering Internship"

Current Employee - Field Engineering Summer Student in Airdrie, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Field Engineering Summer Student in Airdrie, AB (Canada)

Pros

They treat there employees very well and there are lots of opportunities for overtime, overall good company to work for.

Cons

The fact I can have that much of an right when it comes to my a in my room and my I a lot to work with out on my mind is your life with a

2. "Corporate Finance Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATCO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big organization and an interesting industry

Cons

No growth opportunities and no coaching

3. "ATCO Pipelines - Co-op Student Review"

Former Intern - Engineering Co-op Student in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Intern - Engineering Co-op Student in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere. Everyone is super helpful and kind. I loved my time here and it definitely sets a high bar. I look forward to staying in touch with the people I met here.

Cons

There were no real cons. It was a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Very welcoming and helpful.

4. "Poor"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATCO full-time

Pros

Absolutely none. Terrible place. Do not enter.

Cons

If you enjoy being refered to as a lump, work here. To use the term leadership would be ironic. None of the so-called leaders have any integrity.
    This is an absolutely horrible place to work. They have no idea what to do, and could not care less about thier employees. This family only cares about making money for itself. Bush league management.

Advice to Management

Leave.

5. "Stay Away! WARNING"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

I have no pros - the only management that was ever good/nice was picked up and moved out.

Cons

The majority of the people that work here are condescending, belligerent, greedy, nosey, double-crossing. Raises haven't been giving out in over three years, not even cost of living, bonuses are only paid to a few select people, no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Change your management team completely and move into the 20th century

6. "Enjoyable corporate culture, friendly office"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO as an intern

Pros

The people you'll work with

Cons

Company reluctant to give out bonuses

7. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people

Cons

Job opportunities and ability to grow

"Terrible place to work. Executive team only cares about the all mighty dollar."

Former Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. Not a career a job. I would say the only good thing about it is Monday to Friday but in reality you're expected to work 24/7

Cons

While there may be benefits to working for one of their companies head off staff are treated no better than a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Loyalty. That's what you're missing. Be loyal to the staff that work hard for you. Ms. Southern your father would be ashamed of how you treat your employees.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Communications in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Communications in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Pay was decent but below industry average. The pro was walking out the door to a better opportunity.

Cons

Just about everything else. Lots of micromanagement, backstabbing, office politics, nepotism, and different direction from various management.
    Right from the first phone call with HR girl who was not friendly and had the personality of a rock, to the unbelievable favouritism shown by my manager, the entire experience was awful. I saw Nancy scream at employees for making suggestions on how to improve - which is supposedly encouraged by management.
    The place is a revolving door. Four people were in my position in under 2 years. Avoid this place at all costs!!!

Advice to Management

Nothing I can say will help improve this horrible place to work.

"WORST EMPLOYER EVER!"

I worked at ATCO full-time

Pros

Great friendly staff and decent supervisors.
    Benefits are decent
    Good office locations
    Provide uniforms and any equipment needed
    Encourage employee participation in the community
    Wages are on industry par.
    Vehicles were kept in good shape, thanks to the efforts of the staff mechanics.
    Work is clean and safety protocol is expected
    Most Supervisors are very good people
    A good portion of the Managers are very decent and fine people! There are a few exceptions however.

Cons

CEO not to be trusted! She has proven on a number of occasions, that she does not make herself accountable
    Harsh layoffs done every 20 years without notice. This is done to save the company money on pension and benefits. It was done in 1995, and then repeated without any notice in 2015. The CEO had just informed the employee's that "no layoffs would be forth coming".
    If you would like a part time job ( elsewhere); , you have to write a letter to the President to get his or her consent - first!
    While I was there I observed blackballing / blacklisting of certain individuals, stifling their ability to get promoted or move on to another department
    While I was there, I noticed frequent incidents of harassment of various types. The penalties for harassment, was negligible, at best! Most harassment was perpetrated by the Supervisors themselves.
    Nepotism at its very worst! In fact; they seasonally run a, "Sons and Daughters" program
    The absence of "LEADERSHIP PROGRAMS". They would rather promote or create a position for, someone's son or daughter. Promotion is done on a, "who you are in favor with" basis.
    Their commitment to safety in my opinion was nothing short of a ruse. Safety was on the back burner.
    SENIOR MANAGERS LOVED TO BULLY AND EXERT THEIR AUTHORITY.
    I was once FORCED to drive a truck with bald tires in the winter time! Once more the company at that time, would only change two tires, instead of the full four that is required by law.
    A few of the "Senior Managers" are very childish in nature. Holding grudges, bullying practices, and putting themselves far above others. A few of them do not lead by example and serve as poor role models to the other employee's. It's all about image, and less about content.
    Very few times did I see hard work and extra added effort rewarded or even mentioned.

Advice to Management

You need do make certain changes to stimulate the creative juices of others. Managing to daunt people or make them afraid; is a poor practice.
    Leadership programs should become compulsory for anyone even desiring to become a Manager. Most managers were very good; but the poor ones were allowed to continue on "unchecked".