ATCO Reviews | Glassdoor

ATCO President, CEO and Director ATCO and Canadian Utilities Nancy C. Southern
Nancy C. Southern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Corporate culture, management, human resources (don't even get me started on what a worthless group that is) (in 4 reviews)

• However, the reality is that business operations are what matters and will always trump everything else (in 3 reviews)

1. "Scaffold Builder"

I worked at ATCO full-time

Pros

Good working hours 8-5 Monday-Friday

Cons

No benefits, no raises,

"Not a caring company"

Former Employee - Customer Service - Clerical in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Clerical in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

They will give you a good start to get into the industry but they are only a stepping stone to real work.

Cons

The management are completely insular, they don't share any but the vaguest of goals for the company. There is absolutely no positive feedback and they make you feel like everythign you do is worthless. They also allow cliques to be formed in positions so that is can be difficult to be a team player.

Advice to Management

TALK TO THE PEOPLE!!! Work hard to show people you care (fake it even) give feedback on projects completed. Respect that people on the bottom make you look good or bad...

"Pay is good but if you want any sort of job satisfaction, STAY AWAY!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

The only reason someone would want to work for ATCO is money. Plain and simple. And in speaking to the money, it's not even that great. We are talking middle of the pack, never an industry leader. Always a follower and as of late, there are zero perks. I mean nothing. No external health subsidy (ie. gym membership), no flex time, no telecommuting, no nothing. Standard 3 weeks vacation to start and no increase until 8 years in. As recognition, we got a freaking ugly yellow jacket for the 75th anniversary of the company. The place just smacks of discontent.

Cons

Brutal management and no training whatsoever. They throw you in the deep end and expect you to swim.

Advice to Management

Train people.

""A navigational hazard in an ocean of employers""

Former Employee - Accountant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

The salary and benifits are very competitve

Cons

Work life Balance is definately not a priority. With the high salaries come an expectation that they can call on you 24/7. No boundaries appeared to exist.

Lack of goals or objectives, performance evaluations, and career development programs. In over two years I did not have a set of objectives on which a constructive evaluation could be completed. The attitude of "You shouldn't have to be told if you are doing a good job" seemed to prevail.

Poor leadership from middle management. Many middle managers lacked common sense leadership and people skills. What would have worked on an employee from 20 years ago will not work on today's employees.

Corporate culture is change resistant. "Thats the way that we've always done it" is the battle cry when new ideas arise.

Visible lack of respect for non-professionals or union employees. Senior mangement has created a hostile environment of us vs them rather then fostering a we're in it together spirit.

Advice to Management

Read the every exit interview to gain insight on how middle mangement is really doing.

"Incompetent management, old school structure---Feel like working in 1970's again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Work life balance
    Work location is near downtown core

Cons

Incompetent management with poor technical and leadership skills
    Extremely old school structure. The Southern family brainwashed the existing mgmt to apply their 1970's working style.
    Reluctant to change resulted in extreme inefficiencies

Advice to Management

All the baby boomers need to retire immediately and management need a full house change.

"It's OK."

I have been working at ATCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, and some opportunity to move around the ATCO Group of Companies.

Cons

Old school culture, archaic management practices, "old boys' club", disorganized processes, favoritism, and LOTS of red tape and bureaucracy so that things move painstakingly slow.

Advice to Management

There needs to be new blood at the middle to senior management level, more diversity is needed in the company, and not everything needs to be approved by the President.

"Incompetent executive at POS level who are afraid to tell Nancee the truth"

Former Employee - Senior Executive in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Executive in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. This is a dismal company who are inherent in promoting incompetency

Cons

Everything. Old school who fake their values

Advice to Management

Whistleblower

"disappointed"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATCO (More than 10 years)

Pros

the doers on the front line are good people

Cons

management is untrustworthy and can be abusive at times

Advice to Management

Management drove its best employees with 400 plus hours per year of unpaid overtime as a rule of thumb to exceed expectations in 2014. The company delivered record earnings for 2014. But then management refused to make any incentive payments at all for 2014 - even when a forecast of total incentive pay for 2014 had been authorized by the public utility regulator - so the incentive program funds were 100% pocketed by shareholders after asking the regulator for them to incent employee performance. Excellent behaviour to kill morale altogether and lose your best people. Coupled with terminations in early 2015, it is clear management does not care about its people just lining its pockets and hoping the government does not notice.

"Worst career choice I have ever made"

Current Employee - Currently Employed in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Currently Employed in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at ATCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, fitness centre pretty much that's it and I have to write twenty words. So sad when there aren't twenty words I can think of as a pro for this company

Cons

Everything else. Corporate culture, management, human resources (don't even get me started on what a worthless group that is). It was as if they wanted me to leave my brain at the door everyday and heaven forbid I make even the smallest suggestion without telling my manager first so she could passport off as her idea. Shameful.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop relying on nepotism for your management pool. Be better than that. Employment equity, look it up! Be honest. You know what's happening but chose to hide or sweep it under the carpet and in the process ruin lives of some very bright and truly good people. How do you sleep at night?

"Worst career choice I've ever made"

Former Employee - Marketing in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at ATCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co workers were nice, that's it and I have to write 20 words.

Cons

Terrible management: liars, bullies, secretive. Bad and unstable technology, bad processes, lazy leadership, abuse culture

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, give them the tools they need to do their jobs properly. It seems if you have a voice or idea on how to make things better they get rid of you, big fear culture. The president is also a joke, she claims she wants to change things and make them better yet she's not willing to invest in any software to make it easier for employees to get work done. Super old school and a low par company to work for compared to its competitors. About 80 per cent of their employees will retire in the next 10 years and there's no young people to take over. They need new blood and to get rid of all the old folks who sit on their thrones and do nothing.