ATS (Airport Terminal Services) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard B. Hawes

Pros
  • We had flight benefits letting us fly for free or a minimal fee (in 10 reviews)

• great people, great opportunity for promotion (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay/ minimum morale Disrespectful "children" running shifts (in 11 reviews)

• Flight benefits could be improved (in 8 reviews)

1. "Ramp agent"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Easy job , decent pay , and they do respect seniority. It's a good job to have if you already have a part time job.

Cons

Bad management , no training , and always fear of losing your job . They don't let you do any hours that aren't scheduled to you .

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience , adults , and not just promote your friends

2. "Ramp agent to ramp supervisor"

Former Employee - Ramp Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Ramp Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay. Worked 4, 11 hour shifts (hour for lunch). Fun co-workers. Always a challenge to get the job done (sadly it was mostly due to understaffing and equipment issues, but always had fun being challenged). Makes me appreciate current job working for an actual airline knowing things could be a lot worse. All the overtime you could wish for (could easily go 2 weeks without clocking out). Promotes based on merit and within company, unless it's for middle to upper management (see cons). Station management usually worked from home and was very hands off, as long as we didn't take too many delays or have complaints from contracts, we never had to deal with management. Rarely got in trouble for taking a delay because all you had to do was say something about the "plane talk" card and everything was fine. Annual raises. Really good winter gear. Sadly one of the better contract companies I've worked for. If I recall correctly we had 5 days that were considered for holiday pay.

Cons

Let's start with staffing. In 2 and a half years with the company I can recall maybe a dozen times that we had enough staff. Station HR worked from home so no real help there. Went through 4 station managers, always hired from outside the company for this spot and passed up on a great chance for an exceptional manager from the supervisors of the station. Majority of station managers showed up maybe twice a month just to show they still worked there. As a supervisor had to do client billing and such (was never trained on how to do it just left a username and pw and told to figure it out). No formal supervisor training when I had accepted the position, majority of it was learning from trial and error. Never held employees accountable for their attendance (had multiple employees who just took nights off without telling anyone with no repercussions. Some employees had revoked/suspended licenses making it harder to assign jobs. Equipment was garbage. Had to beg and borrow most equipement from other companies (heat carts, air starts, towbars, lav and water) and had to steal some things too (cones, chocks, wands, by-pass pins). Even had someone steal a belt loader and sell it, it took a few months before anyone realized it. Fuel truck caught fire once or twice. Airport banned it from driving through tunnel under runway so we had to drive our equipment to it. Plus it rarely started so we usually had equipment run out of gas. Mechanics wouldn't fix much because ATS contracted them, but since no station management was around they rarely got paid. Initial ramp training was just printed off power points and quizzes, no actual trainer. Thankfully we had good supervisors who did the OJT (but people rarely got hired). Usually had to load and unload aircraft alone or with one other person (737-700s and 717-200s). I could go on and on but I'm tired of typing so I'll end with two words. (RON) Cabin cleaning (that is on top of all under wing activities).

Advice to Management

Stop hiring station managers from outside the company (at least what I saw). I know my the majority of my experiences are station specific, and that station is no longer in operation, but listen to your front line employees! It took 2+ years for corporate to realize how horribly mismanaged the station was. Station management was saying everything was fine and that some employees were staying clocked in longer then they were suppose to, in reality the PM shift (1500-0200) had a total of 5 people, including supervisors, to cover 7 days a week (the look on our regional managers face when he flew in and realized this still gives me a smile). Also spend less on upper management and more on front line employees. A supervisor should not have to explain an incident 25 times to 25 different regional managers, safety managers, and contract managers (or what ever made up title you keep giving to people who sit at corperate with nothing to do).

3. "ticket agent"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) full-time

Pros

free flight if HR ever turn in you info.

Cons

Under staff quick turn over,

Advice to Management

work with your people please

"Ramp agent/ crew chief"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Columbus, OH

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) (More than a year)

Pros

We had flight benefits letting us fly for free or a minimal fee. Great people on the ramp that work hard and feels like a big family. Working out side is a pro and a con depending on the season.

Cons

Poor management shift bids constantly and cutting hours dropping almost everyone that was full time to part time. Equipment barking and having to work with minimal staff to do the job per the company's safety standards but not staffing to meet the standards they set.

Advice to Management

Look at your schedule and staff according. We understood there is a bottom line for the company. Take care of your employees and they will preform above and beyond when they feel appreciated. Treat them like they are disposable then your leadership sets the tone

"ATS not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no pros that i can think of

Cons

all of it sucks and would not recommend

Advice to Management

get new ones

"Do not bother to apply, unless you want to be overworked and underpaid."

Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free flight benefits after 60 days. Great way to meet people traveling from around the world.

Cons

Most of the coworkers act immature and are not willing to help out their new teammates. Head supervisor requires you to make other coworkers cover your shifts, in order for you to take advantage of your free flight benefits. This means you are having to beg other coworkers to work either on their days off or double shifts, in order to take your shifts, so you can take time off to take a trip somewhere. Most coworkers are not willing to do so, therefore it is very hard to try to plan a trip and take advantage of the free flight benefits, which is the only benefit ATS offers, unless you are full time, which is not likely.

Poor training done by a resentful supervisor, who treats everyone like they are stupid. Unless you are lucky enough to be flown to their Headquarters (in San Francisco) for Professional training. When you are finally trained, management can care less to help you out. Or depending on the supervisor on duty, they can micro manage you to death and point out to you everything you do wrong.

Over worked and underpaid. They require that you perform duties in different areas, where if it where a major airline, you would be paid a lot more.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, so that the employees that have been there more than 60 days can take advantage of their flight benefits. Do not make employees have to ask coworkers to cover for them in order to take advantage of the free flights, if it only involves a few days off. Obviously, if it's going to be a longer trip that involves more than 3 days off work, then it's okay to ask them to arrange for shift trades among each other. You can arrange this by limiting the amount of days employees can request to take off per year or month to month, it's called a "vacation"; everyone should be entitled to at least one week off a year. As an employee, asking other coworkers to cover for my shifts in order to fly, when you are already short staffed to begin with, is bad for everyone involved! No one wants to work double shifts or on their days off. Again, HIRE MORE EMPLOYEES! Make the effort to do more "on-hands" training, which is really where the work begins.

"Training Was Terrible"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Palm Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Palm Springs, CA

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Next to none unless you like working around aircraft.

Cons

Lots of heavy lifting.

Supervisors do next to nothing.

Training was rushed.

Very low pay for the level of work.

Unprofessional work enviroment.

Advice to Management

Get some better training and pay a bit more for such a dangerous job.

8. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime when it's busy. Great coworkers as well . They do s great job of promoting from within the company especially the hard working ramp agents

Cons

Low salary die extensive working hours . Very odd hours , well you can pick your schedule as in choose to work mornings which is usually 3 or 4am

Advice to Management

Start by increasing the wages of hard working employees, that's the lesser you can do

9. "Great Management"

Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) part-time

Pros

Higher management is really looking out for their people. Very accommodating and down to earth supervisor.

Cons

Only problem is salary not enough for the workload.

10. "Dont"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at ATS (Airport Terminal Services) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None come to mind sorry its not a good place to work

Cons

Promots harassment, have to argue pay everyweek used to take time out of your check when you never took a lunch or break crappy management low pay low chance of extra hours you can get promotions if u kiss up and thats the only way, sexist environment