AUSL Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Resident Teacher"

Former Employee - Resident Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Resident Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and professional development opportunities.

Cons

A turn and burn mindset, do it our way or leave. The climate and culture of the turnaround schools is heartbreaking. The students are expected to meet behavior expectations similar to the military or prison. Teachers are expected to show their worth with test scores. Classrooms are littered with anchor charts. You can nearly gauge a teacher's stress by the amount of anchor charts on the walls to get them through testing season. Very little heart or joy to be found in the classrooms. Most teachers leave within 2 years to teach at non-AUSL schools, where they are quickly given leadership positions (a testament to AUSL's great professional development opportunities).

2. "exodus"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

Employees want to do the work.

Cons

Compensation for work is not equitable.

3. "Resident teacher"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

Supposedly a lot of useful feedback? Experience in a classroom for a year with a mentor that is supposedly around to help you develop? Great community within your cohort. Classes on Fridays so you can get your master's in a year if you're able to make it through the year getting fired.

Cons

Clearly strapped for cash. Uninvested, untrained mentors who just want a pay bump, but don't care too much if you succeed of fail, or haven't been given the tools necessary to coach teachers in training. Disposable teacher residents. Honestly you have to be such an authoritarian that it just isn't for everyone, and definitely wasn't for me. If yelling at children/threatening children makes you uncomfortable, I'd keep looking.

Advice to Management

The residency just isn't working. Almost every resident was miserable/angry with the organization.

4. "Disagree with Philosophy"

I have been working at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of coaching
    -Many classroom resources ($)
    -Easy to get a job (lots of turn over)

Cons

-Teaching philosophy and school culture that's bad for kids
    -Rote teaching
    -Adults yelling at children
    -Hostile work environment

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Network Coach in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AUSL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, place that cares about their employees, overall nice place to work. Good work/life balance. Very interesting model for turning around schools successfully without all the politics of charters in Chicago.

Cons

None. Overall, AUSL has provided professional development and support at a level above the previous districts and charter networks I've worked for.

Advice to Management

N/a

6. "Great mission but..."

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

Great mission, some of the best people I've ever met have worked here.

Cons

Favorites are played- people are not treated fairly based on performance, but whether so and so likes you because you play the game. You also never know who is going to go behind your back or what is actually happening.

Advice to Management

There is nothing more important than human capital, something that seems to be lost on those in charge. Respect your employees- you never know who you're upset or disrespected and where they will end up.

7. "Grants Manager"

Pros

Great mission, smart, driven people

Cons

There are not any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Classroom Teacher"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

some good structures for support, management and teachers stand by their belief in the children

Cons

very little positive feedback is provided to teachers, funding for programs may not be available

Advice to Management

provide more positive feedback for teachers, allot funding for the programs that need it

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work at your own pace, pay is excellent!

Cons

Directors are disrespectful, and talk to you very unprofessionally.

AUSL Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I would welcome an opportunity to connect with you to learn more. Please feel free to e-mail me at hr@auslchicago.org.

10. "A gem in the rough of people working hard for underprivileged Chicago youth"

Pros

AUSL is packed with incredibly hard working, passionate, and highly skilled people dedicated to changing the lives of underprivileged youth in Chicago's toughest neighborhoods. People wanting to make a real and important difference in transforming life outcomes for underprivileged Chicago children should dedicate their skills, passion and donations to AUSL. AUSL has competitive salaries for a non-profit and has great benefits, especially considering it is a non-profit.
    I believe AUSL has the best urban teaching Master's residency program in the country. The AUSL Chicago Teacher Residency program is challenging, not for everyone, and absolutely worthwhile and necessary to transform educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools. There are amazing principals, teachers and students receiving significant professional and financial support through AUSL's donors and support staff. No one is perfect, but everyone at AUSL and in AUSL managed schools is trying their best.
    AUSL has partnered with many foundations, individuals and corporations to provide incremental supports for high-need schools. Without AUSL's,team and the donor confidence in AUSL, these extra and critical supports would not be provided. As I read the horrible headlines each day, I'm thankful for this non-profit and its bright light on its students' lives.
    More specifically, I love coming to work each day and am very proud of being a part of AUSL's mission.

Cons

Building awareness of the both the transforming student experiences in AUSL schools and the specially trained teachers from the residency program is an area for AUSL to grow. Despite the importance of the mission and AUSL's commitment to serve, many people are not aware or familiar with AUSL. AUSL is often lumped in with negative issues surrounding CPS incorrectly. AUSL supports union teachers, supports underprivileged schools and students and funnels funding, expertise and programs into neighborhoods that need it and deserve it the most.
    Some members of the AUSL team are driven passionately and may not be aware of their impact on others. Continued professional development of management, school leaders and staff and focus on improving climate and culture will build on the existing great aspects of AUSL.

Advice to Management

I encourage everyone at AUSL to continue to fight the good fight for equity in education for Chicago students by spreading the word of AUSL's work and building support from families, businesses, community organizations, and neighborhood elected officials through visits, meetings, and conversations.
    Based on review of the glassdoor reviews, I would suggest AUSL management and school principals continue to work hard to value and support the staff and teachers through active and regular listening and responding to their needs. The work is challenging and rewarding; and it is important to support each other in the most positive ways to keep the strong momentum of transforming educational outcomes.