AUSL Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO
1 Rating

1. Featured Review

"Math and Reading focused"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

People care about making a difference for their students, it's nice to work with like-minded peers. AUSL brings in sports and extra curricular activities for students. If you teach math/reading you will get a lot of coaching and have the tools necessary to do a lot of data driven instruction.

Cons

Be prepared for most of the focus to be on improving math and reading scores. If you care about teaching science, it's important to find a school that best fits your views and values. They offer coaches for new teachers, but if you are not math/reading you will loose your coach if they have a shortage. There are a lot of high expectations that can really be a time suck, like bulletin boards and classroom environment. It is very easy to loose your home and work life balance as you strive to be the best teacher you can be.

Also, depending on the school, you may feel like you're putting on a "dog and pony show" for visitors that does not really reflect what is happening at the school.

Advice to Management

- Make sure culture and climate is consistent at all schools. There should be clear expectations for school wide behavior management; it should not vary from classroom to classroom.
    - More professional development for special and science teachers.

May 17, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about AUSL. I would welcome an opportunity to talk a bit further about your experience. Please e-mail us at hr@auslchicago.org.

2. "Grants Manager"

Pros

Great mission, smart, driven people

Cons

There are not any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Classroom Teacher"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

some good structures for support, management and teachers stand by their belief in the children

Cons

very little positive feedback is provided to teachers, funding for programs may not be available

Advice to Management

provide more positive feedback for teachers, allot funding for the programs that need it

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work at your own pace, pay is excellent!

Cons

Directors are disrespectful, and talk to you very unprofessionally.

Sep 9, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I would welcome an opportunity to connect with you to learn more. Please feel free to e-mail me at hr@auslchicago.org.

6. "A gem in the rough of people working hard for underprivileged Chicago youth"

Pros

AUSL is packed with incredibly hard working, passionate, and highly skilled people dedicated to changing the lives of underprivileged youth in Chicago's toughest neighborhoods. People wanting to make a real and important difference in transforming life outcomes for underprivileged Chicago children should dedicate their skills, passion and donations to AUSL. AUSL has competitive salaries for a non-profit and has great benefits, especially considering it is a non-profit.
    I believe AUSL has the best urban teaching Master's residency program in the country. The AUSL Chicago Teacher Residency program is challenging, not for everyone, and absolutely worthwhile and necessary to transform educational outcomes for students in the lowest performing schools. There are amazing principals, teachers and students receiving significant professional and financial support through AUSL's donors and support staff. No one is perfect, but everyone at AUSL and in AUSL managed schools is trying their best.
    AUSL has partnered with many foundations, individuals and corporations to provide incremental supports for high-need schools. Without AUSL's,team and the donor confidence in AUSL, these extra and critical supports would not be provided. As I read the horrible headlines each day, I'm thankful for this non-profit and its bright light on its students' lives.
    More specifically, I love coming to work each day and am very proud of being a part of AUSL's mission.

Cons

Building awareness of the both the transforming student experiences in AUSL schools and the specially trained teachers from the residency program is an area for AUSL to grow. Despite the importance of the mission and AUSL's commitment to serve, many people are not aware or familiar with AUSL. AUSL is often lumped in with negative issues surrounding CPS incorrectly. AUSL supports union teachers, supports underprivileged schools and students and funnels funding, expertise and programs into neighborhoods that need it and deserve it the most.
    Some members of the AUSL team are driven passionately and may not be aware of their impact on others. Continued professional development of management, school leaders and staff and focus on improving climate and culture will build on the existing great aspects of AUSL.

Advice to Management

I encourage everyone at AUSL to continue to fight the good fight for equity in education for Chicago students by spreading the word of AUSL's work and building support from families, businesses, community organizations, and neighborhood elected officials through visits, meetings, and conversations.
    Based on review of the glassdoor reviews, I would suggest AUSL management and school principals continue to work hard to value and support the staff and teachers through active and regular listening and responding to their needs. The work is challenging and rewarding; and it is important to support each other in the most positive ways to keep the strong momentum of transforming educational outcomes.

7. "Resident Teacher"

Current Employee - Resident Teacher
    Current Employee - Resident Teacher

I have been working at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training at becoming a teacher, provides one year of on the job teaching experience that provides excellent teaching opportunities.

Cons

Greatly implies that a full time teaching job will be available at the end of the year, but it is definitely not guaranteed. Dependent on what teachers are leaving their positions.

Advice to Management

Don't allow mentor resident coaches to have so many residents. Some only have a handful while others have more than ten.

May 23, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello! I appreciate your feedback! I'd like to hear more about your experience. Could you kindly e-mail us at hr@auslchicago.org? Thanks!

"Keep looking!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working with the kids, the community, and a passionate team of CPS teachers.

Cons

I had to deal with countless unannounced observations, no opportunity for feedback and/or constructive criticism, fighting against the push to employ a scripted curriculum, an oppressive work environment, an abusive administration, a "ghost" administration (never there when you(or the community) needed them), baseless poor ratings, no opportunity for real PD surrounding SEL and/or learning variations, punitive discipline, and an overall disregard for anything CPS (AUSL trains, hires, and promotes their own teachers with an overt disregard, dislike, and distrust for veteran CPS teachers).

Advice to Management

Stop employing and encouraging principals to lead who don't know the first thing about teaching in the inner city or building a collaborative and professional culture.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Central Office Staff Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Central Office Staff Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in public education is incredibly rewarding - every student should have a great school environment and many employees care deeply about the overall mission of the organization

Cons

Everyone below director level is treated like they are expendable. I watched multiple staff members in 1.5 years get threatened or terminated if they dared question upper management. A few directors are great, but most range from out of touch to downright incompetent.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at who you need on the team to push the residency and the schools in the right direction. Quit spending money on expensive consulting firms when you have people who already work for you and can do those projects. Don't fire great staff members when they disagree with bad decisions. Make more of an effort to keep your top talent from leaving - we're observing a toxic culture and trying to get out!

May 17, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello! I would welcome an opportunity for us to talk about your experience in AUSL. Please e-mail us at hr@auslchicago.org so we can discuss further. Thank you for your feedback.

"Do you enjoy getting yelled at?"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

Working with kids. Masters degree if you make it.

Cons

I was yelled at by my mentor on a daily basis in front of kids. I was taught to be mean and authoritative in order to improve child test scores.

Advice to Management

None, they don't care.

May 17, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I would welcome an opportunity for us to talk a bit further. Please e-mail us at hr@auslchicago.org. Thank you.

11. "Dynamic Environment"

I worked at AUSL full-time

Pros

AUSL thrives on change. I began my career there and because of structural changes and a willingness for managers to recognize my strengths, I was able to be promoted into a different role pretty quickly. AUSL attracts some really top talent as well. Wonderful coworkers.

Cons

There is a lot of employee turnover which makes for difficult working environment sometimes. It is a nonprofit so it doesn't pay well - especially for those at the bottom.

Advice to Management

Find ways to minimize employee turnover. This may be tied to low pay. The best way to show employees you value them is by compensating them fairly.

May 17, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to connect with us! I appreciate your feedback.