Cover image for AUSL

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
    There are no pros to display at this time.
Cons
  • "Hostile work environment(in 4 reviews)
  • "Continued professional development of management, school leaders and staff and focus on improving climate and culture will build on the existing great aspects of AUSL.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Leading and learning

Oct 5, 2022 - Educator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team! Great work! Great impact!

Cons

Health insurance premium is costly

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good intentions, poor implementation

Oct 14, 2022 - Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

When you first arrive, you think you are contributing to good work

Cons

Highly toxic senior management practices, manipulation of staff by ED and MDs, poor implementation of education practices across the board

3. Join the AUSL team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Great kids!

Jul 15, 2022 - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great kids and hardworking staff.

Cons

Self care is needed to have a more balanced work and home life.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Glad that’s over

Oct 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Connected me with great and like-minded teachers (rare experience) who either weren’t aware of what AUSL was before being hired like myself, didn’t go through residency, or were always critical.

Cons

Don’t trust any educator who uses Teach Like a Champion as their bible. I don’t value obedience over education and kindness.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not Fun

Jul 15, 2021 - Associate Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Helping children and teachers to be their bet selves.

Cons

Very hostile work environment at the senior management level.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Toxic work environment

Apr 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely hardworking teachers, really invested in professional development

Cons

The senior leadership staff is among the worst I've ever encountered. They are highly unqualified, and rest on their titles to ensure that their demands, based on the whim of the week, are met. The environment is toxic in that you MUST do whatever is asked of you, not for the betterment of staff, students, or families, many of whom are the minorities the organization comically parades to gain headlines and recognition for doctored data. If you offer feedback that is deemed misaligned by the powers that be, you are ostracized and targeted. The fact that this organization is still running is unbelievable.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 3.0

Math and Reading focused

May 14, 2016 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

People care about making a difference for their students, it's nice to work with like-minded peers. AUSL brings in sports and extra curricular activities for students. If you teach math/reading you will get a lot of coaching and have the tools necessary to do a lot of data driven instruction.

Cons

Be prepared for most of the focus to be on improving math and reading scores. If you care about teaching science, it's important to find a school that best fits your views and values. They offer coaches for new teachers, but if you are not math/reading you will loose your coach if they have a shortage. There are a lot of high expectations that can really be a time suck, like bulletin boards and classroom environment. It is very easy to loose your home and work life balance as you strive to be the best teacher you can be. Also, depending on the school, you may feel like you're putting on a "dog and pony show" for visitors that does not really reflect what is happening at the school.

3 people found this review helpful

AUSL Response

Director of Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about AUSL. I would welcome an opportunity to talk a bit further about your experience. Please e-mail us at hr@auslchicago.org.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Teach from the Heart!

Aug 20, 2018 - First Year Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Residency Program is amazing. I started the program with the knowledge that it would be a very rigorous program; I believe that I did well and am well prepared to begin my first year of teaching not only because of the amazing training and support that I received during my Residency Year, but also because I was not only dedicated to the process, but I also am one who can take critique as a means for growing not only as an Educator, but also as a professional. I believe the Residency program is well developed, I also believe that those on staff from my recruiter to my Mentor Coach... has been instrumental in my success. The work that we do is important, however, it's not for everyone, because it does take passion and dedication to push through on hard days, there will be hard days, but it's well worth it.

Cons

I believe some people come into the program and feel a since of entitlement that manifest in their attitude towards the work and those whom they work with, and then blame the Program for their short comings. I learned that the program can prepare us to be great teachers, but we must also come into the program ready to grow and take accountability.

10. 1.0

No work life balance

Aug 25, 2020 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not sure of them yet, if any.

Cons

Crazy workload, treating children like robots, coming in and taking over schools in Black communities and kicking Black teachers out

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Teacher

Feb 11, 2016 - Resident Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The kids. There are great kids in all Chicago neighborhoods, though, and this has nothing to do with AUSL.

Cons

Mentor teachers recommend that residents and new teachers go on antianxiety medication to handle what happens in these schools. You are coached (yelled at) in front of kids, out loud. The residency only teaches conformity and how to teach to tests. Many who have come before you have had complete nervous breakdowns, and mentors and administrators call them by name regularly (i.e. "don't be another [name last name]") Years later, I regularly have nightmares about my time there. Phenomenal teachers are regularly fired because they do things like try to call attention to the inappropriate behavior of administrators. At a high school in the network, an assistant principal took a group of high school kids to Florida on vacation (not a school trip, a vacation) and put the photos of them together on facebook. He is still employed, even though there was evidence (my former coworker showed me them, clear as day). Nepotism is the word in this whole network. If you are a person of morality, or even one of professionalism, there are better pathways to teaching. Also, so you are aware, the other reviews about salary are about Chicago Public Schools' salary - not AUSL. The residency pays $32k.

8 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 Reviews
</>Embed

AUSL Reviews FAQs

AUSL has an overall rating of 2.8 out of 5, based on over 64 reviews left anonymously by employees. 35% of employees would recommend working at AUSL to a friend and 25% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AUSL employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AUSL. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

35% of AUSL employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AUSL 2.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.6 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AUSL to be career development, coworkers and the cons to be management, culture, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with AUSL Job Seekers