AVANIR Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2019

2.8
AVANIR Pharmaceuticals CEO Wa’el Hashad
Wa’el Hashad
Pros
  • "10% 401k match is very competitive(in 5 reviews)

• "Good company culture and leadership team(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't trust upper management; it's going to be a rough year or two(in 6 reviews)

• "Early pipeline doesn’t exists and limited product portfolio(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and grow as a professional. Lots of training opportunity and upward mobility. Great work environment.

Cons

Management can be unclear sometimes.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-08-19

September 4, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

We appreciate what you’ve shared here, including feedback on where we can improve. We are very pleased to hear of your happiness with the resources we provide. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

2. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - LTC Neuroscience Area Manager

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

10% 401k match is very competitive.

Cons

Mediocre product and a disease state that is not a priority.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-09-27

October 3, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

We are pleased to hear that you are satisfied with the benefits provided at Avanir. Our goal is to address the unmet medical needs of people with central nervous system disorders. Providing access to patients who otherwise would be left out is important to us. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

"Disgraceful and Toxic"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

There aren’t any. All good people were smart enough to leave before the organization collapsed.

Cons

This company has too many issues to list here. It was run by unethical leaders who were replaced by even worse unethical leaders. Any 5 star or positive reviews you see here past July 2017 is due to the corrupt HR team asking people to write good reviews on Glassdoor. Be smart and do your homework. Don’t distroy your career by joining this company even if you are unemployed. They seem to hire many unemployed... because no one else would want to leave a job to come to this pit. Ask yourself why the are only 6 open positions when in reality there are closer to 100. They cannot hire because the parent company will not let them. Ask why there is so much turnover. This company’s days are numbered. Not much longer now.

Advice to Management

You drove this organization into the ground. You had no business doing this job. This is a small industry and your repution is public knowledge.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-10-12

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing positive to report for this sorry company.

Cons

Horrible managers who are just average with poor leaderships and too ignorant to see the big picture. Management just trying to check off the boxes and report parent company, Otsuka, in order to meet false and unrealistic metrics. Recent failure of final study results were due to poor management and planning and it shows. This very small company has just been fined for $116 millions for kickbacks/off-label... prescription push in addition to whistleblowers payments. This company is a complete failure and a joke and has ruined careers of many people. The former CEO and others has ripped off Otsuka for $3.5 Billion and left with a huge mess to clean. The positive reviews on Glassdoor were very likely have been coerced by new employees to block the negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Implosion to come.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-10-05

"Do not join the company."

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The benefits team strives to ensure they offer the best in class benefits. Holiday shutdown is appealing.

Cons

Unfortunately Avanir is not the “IT” company as they are claiming, striving to be. There is a lot of work in store for them to build a reputable company that should be based on 100% ethics and integrity. Avanir is far from that journey - they are CORRUPT. The leaders and even some individuals not on the executive team are two faced and only manage up just to get what they want. Some individuals are only about the... money and title and once they get promoted they treat you as you are beneath them. In addition, there are some new hires brought on that are people leaders that cannot even lift their own finger to help get the job done -- all they do is push the work onto others while resources are already limited. This is to be a culture of where everyone plays a part in getting the work done. Even the Chief People Officer claims that part of the mission, vision, values is for everyone to do the right thing. This is not true unless the organization is claiming to cover up concerns and issues, micro manage, point the finger, and leaders don’t do the job hired to do? I am quite disappointed to witness leaders mentality of what they perceive to be the reality of their employees. The employees, past and present, that are posting reviews on Glassdoor are not disgruntled employees. They are the employees that are/were fed up with leaders that feel empowered to talk down to their employees as well as to their peers. This is the reality. Employees are tired of being treated as scum, talked down to, treated as if they lack intelligence, etc. I could go on and on but I’ve made my factual points. HR wants to hear what is on the minds of employees especially if there are concerns but nothing is done, just a lot of written notations on paper that just gets filed under, “I listened, jotted down the facts, and here is where it will sit…on this pad of paper”. The fact that the CEO and executives implement programs such as “culture of accountability” but they themselves cannot adhere to the principles set forth. This is a place of contradiction. New hires are asked to post reviews. Here is a thought. Why doesn’t HR who is promoting the positive reviews of new hires to only increase the ratings have them report their review of the company and process from 30 days to 1 year (if the employee is still employed at that time)? I bet the reviews from day one to year one are much different, swaying to the negative scale. There are a lot of employees looking to leave. I hope that Otsuka is understanding that Avanir is corrupt and that Avanir is only damaging Otsuka’s reputations; lies, falsifying data, etc. Employees past and present are not objecting to change. Employees know change needs to exist to help sustain growth. However, employees leaving, that have left, are fed up with the behaviors that are allowed from those that are in leadership roles. When this occurs, the organization is promoting negative behaviors and lack of trust. I do not support the behaviors in HR. I do not support backstabbing. I do not support two faced managers. I do not support employees that act superior than you and brown nose their managers and clients. I do not support the CEO. And, I do not support Avanir because the company does not operate with integrity. That being said while the grass might not always be greener on the other side, the grass is definitely of better quality than Avanir’s.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this point. The organization has had many opportunities to do the right thing. And after many investigations, internally, they still continue with the same irresponsible behaviors.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-07-25

September 25, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re sorry we didn’t meet your expectations. We strive to create a workplace our employees are proud of coming to every day, where they feel valued, appreciated and respected. Our management teams are chosen to inspire commitment, trust and motivation for our shared vision. One of our top strategic focuses in 2019 is the employee journey – so feedback from all employees of all tenures and levels help us better understand issues and solutions. Providing access to patients who otherwise would be left out is important to us. We’re committed to not only build a culture of integrity and ethical behavior – but also serving together, rising to the challenge and energizing each other. We value all our team members and hope to reassure our appreciation to each Avanir employee. We take pride in having employees that are always willing to jump in to help the team. We work hard at fostering growth and skill development for all employees. We will continue to roll out improvements - it is not always perfect, but we are committed. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

6. "They walk the talk"

Commercial Director in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals

Pros

The Management Team is available and walks the talk. They are focusing on doing the right things to move the company forward and treat people really well.

Cons

As with all companies, there's more work than time in the day.

Advice to Management

Continue to find efficiencies; keep up the good work!

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-06-16

July 9, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

We are glad to hear about the great experience you've had while working at Avanir! Our management teams are chosen to inspire commitment, trust and motivation for our shared vision. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

7. "Great place to work with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Avanir are some of the best around, I truly enjoy working with my colleagues. Its one of the main reasons I love this company! Avanir offers several opportunities for growth and development. There is a management training program, my career journey, and most recently a women's leadership program. The benefits offered are great! - 10% 401K match - 2 paid weeks of company shut down (week... of 7/4 and Christmas) - Healthcare is low cost through Anthem - paying $110/bi-weekly for a family plan with a $2700 deductible (Avanir pays $2,000 of the deductible) - Summer family event at corporate

Cons

As most pharmaceutical companies it is fast paced, and people are held accountable for their work - some may call that a con.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to offer better benefits, family events, and growth opportunities.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-06-12

June 18, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

We are very pleased to hear of your happiness with the resources we provide. At Avanir, our team's happiness and level of appreciation is important to us. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

"Run. Away."

Former Employee - Director, Executive Management in Aliso, CA

I worked at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no scientists left to get in the way of writing what the study results are. July 4 week off. Benefits and 401k match is the same as all pharma. National press coverage. Good learning opportunity. Some amazingly smart, nice people mixed in with the rest.

Cons

No pipeline. Current CEO is a bully. Salary is not competitive. Don’t fall for the “dad” act. (Pro tip: Ask about remote work or leaving before 5:30 on Friday. He went on a 30 minute rant about how Americans are lazy.) It is now a team of C students and bench warmers. Current leadership was trying but has become cut throat with hr issues. Pharma without science is not pharma. They haven’t had a head of... research in 2 years. No head of medical affairs for 2 years. Head of manufacturing job was open for a year, etc. Key jobs are open for years so it’s dysfunctional from the ground up.

Advice to Management

HR is toxic. Who is policing HR? Try to get back to science and developing pharmaceutical drugs.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-04-24

June 10, 2019Social Media Director

We appreciate what you’ve shared here, including feedback on where we can improve. We take all reviews seriously and your feedback will help inform how we improve and move the company forward.

"Not a Company for Anyone with Integrity or a Desire for Professional Excellence - RUN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some sharp people with an eye toward doing the right thing.

Cons

There are some mentions here about nice benefits and compensation -- they are actually average and not worth being associated with such an unintegrous and poorly run company. (the nicer 401K match doesn't come close to making up for the equity you'd get at any other biopharma company publicly traded in the U.S. and bonuses are not guaranteed given the company's poor performance) Created a Mission Vision Values... credo that neither the executive team nor the majority of the employees live. Executive team is inexperienced and in over their heads. Leadership rewards the bad behavior of poor performers who appease management and hide the wrongdoings of the company, and crucify experienced people who share insights for making crucial improvements. Major compliance and financial issues. HR behaves like bratty junior high schoolers. Extremely high turnover. Uncertainty, lack of communication and transparency both internally and externally. Laughable pipeline. The one product candidate the company is relying upon could be significant but there are major challenges and the people running that program in Clinical/Medical and in Commercial are not equipped to navigate the road ahead. Inconsistent and unclear decision-making processes. Middle management positions are not empowered to make decisions. The company has attempted a turnaround but it is completely surface level -- at Headquarters, naive staff who simply want to continue living in Orange County with a nice paycheck want to believe it's not that bad but it is. Don't trust upper management. Overall, this is a horrible company where the end justifies the means. If you are savvy enough to be doing this research, you care about your career -- find another place to work if you are looking for a company that operates in integrity, operates in excellence, has an enjoyable culture, and has a promising future. I would give zero stars if that were an option.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-03-03

June 17, 2019Avanir Communications Representative

Thank you for the feedback. At Avanir, we continuously look to improve employee satisfaction by encouraging varied perspectives and experiences from all our employees. We’re disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. Regarding your feedback on upper management transparency; we’re dedicated to improving our internal communications so that our commitment to being transparent, with employees and the public, is clear. It’s not always perfect, but your feedback is valuable to helping us continue to improve. We appreciate you taking the time to provide suggestions to help our company improve.

"Heaven help this Co."

Current Employee - Manager in Aliso, CA

I have been working at AVANIR Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are good, but so are most companies.

Cons

Too many problems to mention. High turnover. All new hires come for the title and big salaries. Most of the Exec team are horrible. CEO has too many problems to solve.

AVANIR Pharmaceuticals2019-02-01

June 10, 2019Social Media Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We strive to provide the means to ensure both professional and personal success for all employees. We are committed to continuous improvement. We appreciate what you’ve shared here, including feedback on where we can improve.

Found 50 reviews