AVG Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
AVG Technologies Chief Executive Officer Gary Kovacs
Gary Kovacs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Freedom, chance to meet great people and learn from them (in 21 reviews)

• work / life balance and compensation & benefits are great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance seems to be an issues (in 4 reviews)

• The thing the top management did with company is very upset me (in 6 reviews)

1. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great deal of autonomy and freedom

Cons

Old commoditized products, weak product pipeline, poorly conceived/executed acquisition of leading competitor

Advice to Management

Step aside and bring in professionals who know what they are doing

2. "Political and bloated company..."

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch provided every day.
    A good number of smart and engaged co-workers.

Cons

Middle management is very weak - focused on their own personal gains and not overall corporate ones.
    Executive management is SO disconnected from the rest of the folk.

Advice to Management

Listen. Actually take the time to listen to what your employees are saying. Not just lip service and generic all-hands - but genuinely take time to understand.

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Work from home.
    * Always a lot of work to do.
    * Benefits were on par with most major companies.

Cons

* Poor decision making from upper management.
    * Definite cultural differences between CZ folks and US. CZ is ran like former USSR mindset.
    * HR department is a complete joke.
    * Sold out after the CEO told folks in December that this was just a rumor.

"Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AVG Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great. Great salary for the area, 100% employer paid medical insurance, 50% match on 401k, and FSA for medical and dependent care. Company outings were frequent when hitting sales quotas. Casual work environment, and fun atmosphere in the office.

Cons

They would release updates during peak business hours instead of during downtimes like night and weekends. The #1 question I got from my clients was "do you test your product before you release it?". The #1 comment it got from resellers is "I spend more time contacting your tech support than I do contact my own clients.

Advice to Management

Not a pitch and hope it sticks type of sells process. Focus on what you do best and fix what isn't working before adding more items to quotas of you reps.

"Steer clear if your not Management"

Pros

Great base pay, flexible work from home perks. Overall pretty decent people.

Cons

No management feedback
    Extremely poor communication to employee's
    VERY management bloated - your job is at risk every min unless your senior management
    Poor leadership in SMB
    Mgmt seems to be very volatile and do NOT listen to business challenges

Advice to Management

Fire 25% of your exec team - most do nothing and drain your #1 business expense.

"Not a rewarding experience for developers of any skill level"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home seemed to always be an option for me (not for everyone else and definitely not a guarantee in the future)

- PTO and vacation days were granted upon request in my experience and were more than enough

Cons

- Examples of good code simply don't exist here, and the current resources are moving in a direction to ensure its non-existence

- Communication channels are often tense, unsure of project requirements, or literally have no experience in the fields they occupy

- There seem to be very few parts of the process here you would ever want to take elsewhere (branching strategies, agile, scrum, PM communication, etc) because of persistent, unremitting misapplication

- Objectively, there was not a single instance the entire time I was employed here in which I felt seniority was a function of talent, past success, or even a basic understanding of the technologies we were using

Advice to Management

If you are lucky enough to find a dedicated and experienced developer in this area, let him make what improvements he deems appropriate without protest until you find a better way. At that point, discuss with him why you believe it is in fact a better way. If it seems as though you want to create a layer of inexperience to deal with or potential hazard, and he wants to do things in an established or otherwise intelligent way, just let him do it. Keeping your product competitive should always be the concern that trumps all others.

"Stay Away - Below Average Environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Function in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Function in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AVG Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Hardworking employees.

Cons

Political. Don't look to get credited for your efforts. That's for the person you report to to take. Not a lot of upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Base rewards on what people do. Look at who is actually doing the work. Medium sized company yet you have enterprise size politics.

"Expect you to deliver 100% yet give you little to no direction or tools to achieve set goals or develop"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits, Set Hours, Company Name, Company background , Know logo, Established customer base, Known in their channel, Work days, Holidays off

Cons

No roles or structure for advancement you are what you are, Don't give you a clear line of sight on how to achieve the goals they set, We ask for tools that we never receive, It's like we are expected to make tools on our on, Pay is not on track with other companies similar to other companies in the market, The goals are so high they are hard to hit and often goals are set when the month or quarter is already up, but are held accountable for missing them, Not really a "fun" environment, managers are not focused on employee moral! Employees constantly feel like their walking on thin ice. Management hears what we need but views it as complaining and instead of fixing issues, holds us accountable for voicing our opinions

Advice to Management

Provide Goals in a timely manner, Create more structure around each role. Provide more tools when asked for, and in a timely manner, Listen to the employees at the ground floor, Provide more structure this company has been around to long to be this unorganized, Help drive employee moral, managers get focused on numbers and don't focus on employees enjoying what they do. At this point its more a there's the door type environment.

"Too much work with no realistic goal setting"

Pros

People are unique, interesting and fantastic characters

Cons

No transparency in company decision making creates a lot of tension

"Software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Above average technologies, smart engineers.

Cons

Human resource is a big joke in this company, don't even know they are outsourced or contractors, HR don't reply any emails, they only contact you whenever they need something from you. Totally disconnected, one way communication.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, they work LONG hours > 10-12 hours everyday. On call during the weekend also.