AVG Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

AVG Technologies Chief Executive Officer Gary Kovacs
Gary Kovacs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • VERY management bloated - your job is at risk every min unless your senior management (in 8 reviews)

• Work/life balance seems to be an issues (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, including Medical, Dental, and Vision. Very low copays for doctor visits. Lots of Vacation/PTO. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Once AVG was acquired by Avast, many layoffs resulted.

2. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AVG is truly an international company with all its perks and challenges. You get to meet amazing people from all over the world, management is open minded, a lot of great perks and to some extend work-environment flexibility. Either way, the people are great. And salaries are more than decent too.

Cons

It's a big company. A lot of processes and levels but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It's annoying but it "comes with the job".

"New Lead Recruiter LOVES LOVES LOVES AVG!!!!"

Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

The on boarding was seamless! It took me 3 minutes to sign my offer using the very smart Docusign. Filling out an offer can be tedious. Not AVG! It was SMOOTH! Filling out my payroIl & benefits took all of 5 minutes. I love the medical, vision, & dental offerings. It was literally $6 out of my pocket per pay check.

Lunch
    We are sooo lucky that we get catered food everyday. I save like $60 per week alone. So happy about this

My Team
    I absolutely love the team I got hired on as I get to work with bright folks from all around the globe (San Francisco, Czech Republic, Canada, Georgia,etc). My boss Holly Costa, SR HR Business Partner has been a great mentor thus far. She plays to my strength, empowers me to do my best, to be awesome, to be inspired. She allows me to be the subject matter expert, encourages me to build relationships with other team members. Our HR Generalist Alex Freeman, on my team in SF is so helpful with on boarding, HR programs, how to navigate through AVG, connects me to everyone, has been a great listener and business partner. I am excited to learn more from both of them and really grow my career exponentially. I do not believe I could do the work I do without their great support everyday. :)

Cons

None to report as of yet

Advice to Management

Have fun! :)

4. "Great!"

Current Contractor - Social Media in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Social Media in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience so far. Working on a team of other hard workers. I appreciate the flexibility of being able to work remotely.

Cons

Nothing in particular to note.

5. "Good Company, Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team (family really) at my location. Always moving fast, always moving forward, always looking for ways to improve processes and put out better product. Also great interaction with other teams around the world. Fast-paced but relaxed at the same time. Really feel like the new CEO is addressing problem areas and putting into place senior management with common sense to move company forward.

Cons

Communication up and down is getting better, but sometimes feel that lateral communication between product management and others at more senior levels could improve.

Advice to Management

Continue on path of putting good senior leaders into place. Continue streamlining of processes to keep product and operations moving forward.

6. "Excellent Place To Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at AVG as a software engineer for a little over a year now. I am very satisfied with my job and would definitely recommend working here. Here are some of the reasons I love working here:
    1. They take a lot of care in hiring smart people. I constantly find myself working with people equally or more intelligent than myself every day, which is very important to me.
    2. My team primarily works remotely. This comes with its own challenges, but since we hire smart, motivated people this is a great benefit because I can work from home which is nice.
    3. An important aspect of any job for me is working with cutting edge technology. I can say that at least my team works with very modern technologies and we develop modern, cool products with these technologies.
    4. I don't feel like a number. I've worked at places in the past where I just feel like a number and that no one in management cares about me. At AVG I feel like my managers really know me and care about me.
    5. Ability to think for myself. I've also worked at places where I have very little freedom with design choices or technology choices. At AVG I feel like I am paid because I have valuable opinions and I am allowed to make design decisions without having to cut through red tape.

Cons

My only con is that career paths are not very clear at AVG. They tend to hire you for a specific role and they don't provide very clear paths to move up in the ranks. This isn't super important to me because I enjoy being an individual contributor, but if this is important to you this might be a concern.

Advice to Management

Continue taking great care in hiring smart people.

7. "Earn more spend less"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A way to get 200k salary
    flexible hour
    relaxing
    Good office management

Cons

Company culture is too relax
    Spent too much on salary and lunch
    Confidential information are open

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly the people, great community of friendly and passionate people. A lot of small startups have been acquired so the talent here is through the roof and it's never boring. No matter what your role, there's always room to explore and push yourself with room for internal growth both personally and professionally. Great salary!

Cons

Working with different timezones on a global scale can be challenging... but then again there's lots of travel involved so this doesn't really qualify as a con.

"Interview is very easy"

Pros

goog salary in beijing good manager good salary

Cons

small office small office small office small office small office

"Fun, dynamic, high-growth company"

Current Employee - Chief Policy Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Policy Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Past-paced, dynamic, interesting work, great leadership. Working on protecting consumers and kids online.

Cons

Recently gone public, which limits some of the edginess of the company. Government decisions will have impact and the company continue to innovate quickly.

Advice to Management

Grow the company faster!!! Great innovation which needs to be showcased more.