AVG Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

AVG Technologies Reviews

Updated July 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Freedom, chance to meet great people and learn from them (in 21 reviews)

• work / life balance and compensation & benefits are great (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance seems to be an issues (in 4 reviews)

• The thing the top management did with company is very upset me (in 6 reviews)

1. "Excellent Place To Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at AVG as a software engineer for a little over a year now. I am very satisfied with my job and would definitely recommend working here. Here are some of the reasons I love working here:
    1. They take a lot of care in hiring smart people. I constantly find myself working with people equally or more intelligent than myself every day, which is very important to me.
    2. My team primarily works remotely. This comes with its own challenges, but since we hire smart, motivated people this is a great benefit because I can work from home which is nice.
    3. An important aspect of any job for me is working with cutting edge technology. I can say that at least my team works with very modern technologies and we develop modern, cool products with these technologies.
    4. I don't feel like a number. I've worked at places in the past where I just feel like a number and that no one in management cares about me. At AVG I feel like my managers really know me and care about me.
    5. Ability to think for myself. I've also worked at places where I have very little freedom with design choices or technology choices. At AVG I feel like I am paid because I have valuable opinions and I am allowed to make design decisions without having to cut through red tape.

Cons

My only con is that career paths are not very clear at AVG. They tend to hire you for a specific role and they don't provide very clear paths to move up in the ranks. This isn't super important to me because I enjoy being an individual contributor, but if this is important to you this might be a concern.

Advice to Management

Continue taking great care in hiring smart people.

"Not a rewarding experience for developers of any skill level"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home seemed to always be an option for me (not for everyone else and definitely not a guarantee in the future)

- PTO and vacation days were granted upon request in my experience and were more than enough

Cons

- Examples of good code simply don't exist here, and the current resources are moving in a direction to ensure its non-existence

- Communication channels are often tense, unsure of project requirements, or literally have no experience in the fields they occupy

- There seem to be very few parts of the process here you would ever want to take elsewhere (branching strategies, agile, scrum, PM communication, etc) because of persistent, unremitting misapplication

- Objectively, there was not a single instance the entire time I was employed here in which I felt seniority was a function of talent, past success, or even a basic understanding of the technologies we were using

Advice to Management

If you are lucky enough to find a dedicated and experienced developer in this area, let him make what improvements he deems appropriate without protest until you find a better way. At that point, discuss with him why you believe it is in fact a better way. If it seems as though you want to create a layer of inexperience to deal with or potential hazard, and he wants to do things in an established or otherwise intelligent way, just let him do it. Keeping your product competitive should always be the concern that trumps all others.

"Stay Away - Below Average Environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Function in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Function in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AVG Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Hardworking employees.

Cons

Political. Don't look to get credited for your efforts. That's for the person you report to to take. Not a lot of upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Base rewards on what people do. Look at who is actually doing the work. Medium sized company yet you have enterprise size politics.

4. "Earn more spend less"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A way to get 200k salary
    flexible hour
    relaxing
    Good office management

Cons

Company culture is too relax
    Spent too much on salary and lunch
    Confidential information are open

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

5. "great place"

Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Winthrop, MA
    Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Winthrop, MA

I worked at AVG Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

great co-workers and managers, fun environment

Cons

ever changing company direction and focus. Lack of communication

"Ok place to work but upper managment needs to follow a road map"

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology, great co-workers, catered lunches and snacks.

Cons

Good people keep leaving, either they quit or groups of people get laid off on change of direction but the change of direction keeps changing causing the employees to feel that there is no directions.

Advice to Management

Stop the fighting at the upper managment level....

"Sweet office near Caltrain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like I mentioned before, there is a great open office converted from an old warehouse with brick interior and exterior.
    Catered lunch
    Accessible and passionate executives

Cons

Constant turnover, which is normal considering the Bay Area market.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly the people, great community of friendly and passionate people. A lot of small startups have been acquired so the talent here is through the roof and it's never boring. No matter what your role, there's always room to explore and push yourself with room for internal growth both personally and professionally. Great salary!

Cons

Working with different timezones on a global scale can be challenging... but then again there's lots of travel involved so this doesn't really qualify as a con.

9. "New employee who is glad to have joined the team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wouldn't give any company 5 stars because there are always cons to any work environment. I'm one of the new U.S. employees who is happy with coworkers and the management team, especially the new executives who've come on board in the last year. There is a lot of opportunity at the US office to make your mark, be a part of a global company shift, and gain experience with jobs you may not have the opportunity to do if you were the same level at another company. Keep in mind this is not the same company it was just a year ago, so the newer employees are probably much happier than the older ones. The benefits package is great. I actually took a tiny pay cut from my old job to come here for the health benefits, the work/life balance, the HR support, and because I really like my direct supervisor.

Cons

Being able to do jobs and gain experience that you may not get the opportunity to do while having the same title at another company also means that you have more work! You don't just have 3 jobs you have about 10.
    Company is in transition from an employee, an executive, and a business standpoint so while the strategy is clear the movement in getting there is not a well-oiled machine just yet. It will also take the international managers and employees a while to get used to having many executives at the US headquarters. The company overall still seems very Czech and European-centric.

Advice to Management

Other managers need more knowledge about the U.S. customer and US Marketing / Branding needs overall.

"Commission based quotas become impossible to acheive"

Current Employee - Sales in Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Newton, NC

I have been working at AVG Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent group of people to work for and with in my particular office. Excellent benefits package and group outings.

Cons

Very secretive company, the everyday employees never have a clue whats going on above them. Roles have changed multiple times with little or no warning. Commission based quotas are increased every month if you have a successful month to ensure you never hit 100% of bonus quota. We often do not receive monthly sales quotas until after the 20th of the month.

Advice to Management

Be more open with employees. Set an aggressive but achievable monthly sales quota.