AVX Reviews | Glassdoor

AVX President, CEO, and Director John S. Gilbertson
John S. Gilbertson

1. "Regional Manager"

I worked at AVX full-time

Pros

Great intelligent and hardworking people.

Cons

The company culture very confusing or nonexistent. Upper management was very removed from the remainder of the company. High turnover rates. The company seems to be in it's late maturity or decline phase.

2. "AVX"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at AVX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked around professionals who taught a young engineer a lot
    Fair Pay for an engineer who was getting established.
    World Travel throughout career.

Cons

Upper management was at sometimes disconnected to lower level employees. Volatile periods of mass layoffs. Some of the travel were to dangerous places.

Advice to Management

Plan for the long haul and see your employees as a valuable resource.

3. "Applications Engineer and Labratory Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Applications and Test Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Applications and Test Engineer in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at AVX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Got to meet many professionals and work with them on a business and technical level. We represented the cutting edge technology for crystals and many other timing device components. Since I was the technical representative for the company, the distance from my office to 90% of our customers was minimal. Was able to work with many bright professionals who knew their product and quick to adjust to a changing marketplace.

Cons

Many customers called me because they could not reach the people they needed within our organization at other locations. Associates would drop the ball or not read bulleted emails causing numerous lost opportunities. Being the only technical person in the America's for my product, there were no alternatives for me to call on when I was on vacation to cover for any issues. Management was always quibbling over reimbursements and vacation days making it difficult to plan any family time with any notice.

Advice to Management

Manage with known facts rather than emotions. Re-evaluate when new tolerances are required as to what impact that has on our product in the customer's design. Our product has the best build quality in the marketplace and there is no reason why there has to be spec issues. Find ways of getting calls and messages quickly forwarded to your proper professionals. Many customers want to give up and go elsewhere as they have no other choice.

5. "operator"

Former Freelancer - Opeator in Coleraine, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Freelancer - Opeator in Coleraine, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at AVX (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and possibility of advancement

Cons

Bad hours solvents are widely used

Advice to Management

I feel that many improvements in working conditions can be made especially when it comes to the emitting of solvents.

6. "a bit stresfull last time"

Former Intern - Worker - Controller and So On in Lanškroun (Czech Republic)
    Former Intern - Worker - Controller and So On in Lanškroun (Czech Republic)

I worked at AVX as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits - free massages or medicine, company parties for everyone at least once in a year, organizing some trips, possibility to change your shift or work longer

Cons

big pressure from leaders (wc brake, lunch time and so on) and not so much friendly colleauges (trying to put theire misstakes on the other, mostly on newies)

Advice to Management

if people will feel comfortable at working place, they will be not so tired and mean more productive

7. "I have had many opportunities to excel and been successful in solving and managing issues that have hampered others."

I have been working at AVX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging task, stable workforce, interesting coworkers and excellent locale. Lots of opportunities to apply expertise and learn at your own pace.

Cons

Very little opportunity for advancement, stagnant pay scales. No cost of living adjustments have been made to the pay scale in 20 years. Year long pay freezes are never made up in subsequent years. No rewards for individual performance.

Advice to Management

Employees need mentors and should be informed of the standard promotion pace. Cost of living adjustments need to be part of the pay scale review. When the company is doing well, do more to make give the current employees a share in the wealth. Reward outstanding individual performance even in lean years.