AWeber Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
AWeber Founder & CEO Tom Kulzer
Tom Kulzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free lunch every day is an amazing perk" (in 19 reviews)

• "Team members were always positive and wiling to work across departments to solve problems" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "I wish there was a dedicated work from home program" (in 8 reviews)

• "However when he starts getting his hands into the day to day, his personality is abrasive" (in 3 reviews)

1. "AWesome culture and benefits!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chalfont, PA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Chalfont, PA

I have been working at AWeber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since joining here at AWeber, I have been welcomed with nothing but open arms. With all of the support I received from my manager and colleagues, I have been able to hit the ground running and get right into a normal day to day. The training period you're given during your first 1-2 weeks was also extremely helpful in learning the product inside and out.

The biggest pro for me is the work-life balance. This was something I didn't have at my previous role and was more than pleased to find that the work-life balance here is REAL. As long as you are working hard day in and day out, you'll be able to get in at a time that's convenient for you (between 8 and 9) and leave right at 5 (or before if you need to!) I feel like I'm treated like an adult here and I'm trusted to do my job without too much oversite and NO micro-management.

So far, so good!

PS: the people you work with here make coming into work everyday inspiring and enjoyable!

Cons

I really don't have any cons other than the maternity/paternity leave policy. I know that management is working on this though.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees! The feedback you've implemented has seemingly made this place even better, so the AWeber process is working.

"Great place to work"

I worked at AWeber full-time

Pros

It was a great environment to learn and grow. Team members were always positive and wiling to work across departments to solve problems. You can't beat the perks they offer like the free lunch

Cons

Seemed like the product itself was behind the rest of the industry at times.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people and pushing them to perform at a high level.

"Spam, scams, and free meals."

I worked at AWeber full-time

Pros

Great benefits at the cost of lower pay and a force fed wannabe silicon valley culture.

Cons

You know that website you wish you never gave your email address to?

Years ago the company had a serious advantage being one of the first to market in sending spam to peoples email addresses. Since then the industry has failed two fold:

1. Email service providers such as gmail, yahoo, etc. fought back and sidelined the delivery of the emails and when they actually reach someones email box, who pays attention to spam anymore?

2. The service has become such a commodity that someone can compete from their dorm room since there is no infrastructure needed whatsoever to be successful. Every last ingredient to AWeber's advantage can now be successfully outsourced very inexpensively and new email marketing services are popping up like clockwork.

So who's signing up? No doubt the customer the company wants to reach is the average small business owner with just enough savvy to use the service and collect costumer email addresses but that doesn't seem to be the case. For every 'feel-good' customer there must be a boat load of those who were sucked into a get rich quick scheme or a borderline illegal multi-marketing scheme involving spam via email lists.

So how is the company trying to expand in the light of a failing industry? One thing is it's trying to expand outside of the US and recently added a graveyard crew to customer solutions. Aside from that, it started a boiler-room of sorts with sales telemarketers gaining the contact information of valuable customers to competitors and actively trying to convey them to make 'the switch'. Just another aspect of a questionably sound industry to begin with that has had the FTC step-in numerous times.

The company is exceptional at public relations and marketing to attract talent with the benefits offered but behind closed doors it comes at a cost. From the outside it looks like a joyful setting with the kindergarten-like arrangement of the building but the culture here reeks of indecency. If feels like a totalitarianism dictatorship at times and if you don't praise your leaders you might be humiliated in a group effort headed by none-other than the HR department itself. There in fact is a 'dark side' as another reviewer alluded to. Also take into account that HR pushes reviews on this website to co-workers regularly and if you are currently employed leaving a negative review there would be a collaborative 'reckoning' if you were found out.

That being said, the food is great and good luck on your job search.

Advice to Management

The CEO should stop micro-managing everything or step aside, sell the company, liquidate, etc. before it's too late.

"Feels Like Home!"

I have been working at AWeber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This office feels like home to me, so coming to work is always easy. I'm friends with almost all of my teammates, which makes every meeting feel like a little party. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but it's true about 90% of the time. The flexibility here is inviting and the atmosphere is comfortable. I'm encouraged to be myself, try my best, and support my team. I really love working here.

Cons

I would not advise someone to work at AWeber if they had high hopes of moving up in the company over a short span of time. This is a place where every position is valued. Promotions happen, but not necessarily as quickly as they would in a company with a different attitude.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage your team with supporting their work/life balance, and keep on having open conversations even if they aren't easy.

AWeber Response

Jun 8, 2018 – Sr. Recruiter

Glad to hear that you've found your home! It feels like home to me too!

5. "No better time to join the team than now"

I have been working at AWeber full-time

Pros

Having worked for AWeber for several years, I absolutely love where this company is right now. I love what we've learned. I love how we handled adversity. I love where we're headed.

There was a period where the product, and company as a whole, was not innovating to the level that they desired. It took some time, but the company has really found it's groove. They're releasing new, exciting, and engaging features for their customers, and the business administration continues to try to make AWeber a desired place of employment for both current and prospective employees.

The company recently increased the amount of PTO that employees accrue after being employed with the company for a certain amount of years. This change was based on employee feedback, so it says to me that the company continues to listen to it's employees and act on their feedback. I'm really excited to see where this company is in just 2 years. I don't think it will be long before AWeber is back on top as the best email marketing option for most small business owners.

Cons

There are several opportunities for team member growth and development that the company provides; however, some of those opportunities, like dedicated leadership training, are not available all year round due to scheduling and/or team member availability. Where I understand why this occurs, it'd be awesome to have more frequent leadership training opportunities that occur throughout each year.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and actively having conversations with them about what they believe could help improve AWeber.

6. "Still Awesome"

I have been working at AWeber full-time

Pros

The people, the people and the people. The team is what makes this place truly awesome and it's a pleasure working with such bright and passionate people every single day. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of perks working at AWeber but for me it's about the people.

Cons

AWeber is not for everyone. No specific cons however it's a fast paced technology company that is not right for everyone. If you're thinking about joining this team bring your "A" game but ask a lot of questions to make sure your preferred pace is a good match.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on creating remarkable experiences for the team and our customers.

"If you want to coast, this isn't the place for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chalfont, PA

I worked at AWeber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-You will not find a more inclusive environment and incredible people who want to help you grow.

-Fast paced work-environment which helps make the days go fast and you're always learning something new.

-You can talk about the free lunches all day but the real benefit is getting the chance to socialize with team members in other departments. If you take advantage of that opportunity consistently, you'll learn from passionate smart people and help you develop your career.

-Opportunities to learn; AWeber hosts a quarterly meeting of business leaders(forget the name of the organization). If you know about it, ask your managers to attend and learn from other business leaders in the region. Also, the marketing team will host different meet-ups. They typically start at 6 but if you want to be more proficient in digital marketing, go to these every time they happen. If you're interested in Product Development/UX, talk to MeghanN, she works with a meetup group in Philly. She's an awesome person to learn from and the meetups are really informative.

-Consistent education opportunities. the CPO will set up and run education to help you grow in multiple skill-sets. This includes Leadership Development, Predictive Index(PI), cultural/personality management.

-Career pathing. This is specifically for Customer Service; Once you become proficient in your role, you'll be provided an opportunity to go down a self-driven career path. You are partnered with a mentor in that skill-set and you get the opportunity to learn from wicked-smart people and tuition reimbursement.

-Monthly happy hours ensure that you get the opportunity to relax and socialize with your team outside of work.

-The company was profitable every year prior and during my tenure. You want job stability? This is the place.

**In my 8+ years there, I took full advantage of the networking events, socializing with team members outside of my department and tuition reimbursement. I am now in a leadership position at another software company because of the effort AWeber put into my development and the work I put in to grow myself. If you're dedicated to put in the hard work to be great in your role and work hard to learn more, you can do the same.**

Cons

-At the time I left, we were behind the competitive bell-curve and there was a struggle with product's direction to fill the needs of our clients. From what I've saw in Q4 of 2017, the product looks to be on the right track. 2018 will be a key year to see if that continues.

-CEO is a visionary and is clear with direction. However when he starts getting his hands into the day to day, his personality is abrasive. Think Elon Musk but with the social skills of Sheldon Cooper. It comes from his passion for making this company successful but his communication style doesn't jive with the everyone.

-As mentioned in the title, this isn't a job for the meek-minded. The one thing I always appreciated from my leaders was that there was a consistent focus on accountability. Expectations were clear and if you weren't meeting them, coaching would be provided but you were always reminded that there was a job to do. Be aware that if you accept a role here, you are expected to perform.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on developing team members from within. This was/is the best way to develop a strong core of client and company advocates.

Keep developing tools that clients want and prioritizing bugs to lower customer pain.

Get leaders hired so that the CEO can stay focused on the 30,000 foot view and not in the day to day. His passion tends to overwhelm his communication and causes = harm and burnout from the team.

"There's a Dark Side Here"

I worked at AWeber full-time

Pros

Great benefits. The building is really cool, but the slides are mostly for show. Some good people work here.

Cons

Two of AWeber's supposed core beliefs are to foster respect and welcome feedback. Both are bogus. You can ask or say anything you believe, but it can and will be used against you. And respect is definitely selective. Management frequently belittles and demeans people in subordinate positions. They have a vindictive streak you need to watch out for.

Advice to Management

Either change your core beliefs or abide by them. Actually treat people like they matter.

"A Truly AWesome Place"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chalfont, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chalfont, PA

I have been working at AWeber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First off....many of the negative reviews (especially the recent ones) are, for the most part, inherently false.
    - HR does not push team members to lie or only post positive reviews, but to speak openly and honestly (just as our core ideals promote)
    - Our "Chief People Officer" is one of the most caring people I have ever met in the workforce. She truly cares about everyone at this company and bends over backwards to make sure everyone feels safe.
    - Anyone that speaks negatively to the culture here: 1. May not have personality to deal in an open and fostering culture. 2. Probably has never worked anywhere else.

On to my review...

AWeber continues to define what I perceive as the best place I ever worked. The people here are nothing short of amazing and they company does a great job of fostering a culture of learning and having fun.

The opportunities to learn and grow are limitless and you are only held back by your own ambitions. Employees are actively encouraged to grow and develop new skillsets.

AWeber supports the idea of promoting from within. If you have a desire to switch roles/teams/concentrations you will be encouraged to do so. The company sees that the best leadership and product knowledge comes from those that have been working w/in the product and the culture.

The other awesome aspects are the perks. From free gourmet lunches, to paid benefits, 401k match and profit sharing; you will be hard pressed to find a company that gives more to its employees. Even time off can be flexible - everyone is given 15 days upon starting, but it has been said 'the PTO policy is fair, not even'. If you need more time and are deserving of that time, it will be granted.

Cons

While his intentions are good and he has a deep love of this company, the owner/founder/CEO actively holds back a lot of the teams by having his hands in too many parts of the organization. Due to the need to backfill some roles, he is stepping in as product manager for 3 teams. While in that role he does not foster the same sense of cooperation that other teams have. It is more of a 'my way or the highway' approach. There is often talk that we have been "Tommed" when he dips his hands into another team's process or overrides a team/engineering decision due to his wants/thoughts.

Aside from that, there is absolutely nothing negative I can say about this organization. Anyone that speaks negatively about the culture or people (aside from CEO) here are either lying or have not seen other workplaces.

Advice to Management

Get the CEO out of the day to day operations and allow him to function only as a CEO. Avoid allowing him to impact the culture and process being established.

10. "Great Culture & Facility"

Current Employee - Sales in Chalfont, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Chalfont, PA

I have been working at AWeber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are really genuine and really enjoy coming to work every day, which creates a really low-stress environment. Being surrounded by hard workers and intelligent people is kind of addicting! The lunch is amazing! The facility is gorgeous.

Cons

No work from home options (yet) - but with such an awesome location/culture, I can see why.