AXA Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

AXA Advisors Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It is true that you can make a lot of money right out of the gates (in 18 reviews)

• Ability to make A LOT of money (paid for what you do) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary until you make 15 applications and/or 3,000 PCs (production credits) (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours with a lot of sales training (in 35 reviews)

1. "good career with tons of dedication and some luck"

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

great learning experience (finance, entrepreneurship, sales, etc)

Cons

difficult to find answers; proprietary business sales pressure

Advice to Management

a happy, supported employee leads to a healthier, sustainable business for everyone

2. "Financial Professional"

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Wide variety of products to position in front of clients.

Cons

You get nickle and dimed for everything. Placed with inexperience manager. Very poor employee benefits. People are willing to help, but you have to give them a cut of your commission.

"Not a scam; Great, solid, global company to work for"

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Flexibility in your schedule
    Unlimited income potential (option of base salary + commission or full commission + bonus contract structure)
    Great compensation plans, benefits, and products
    Retirement Benefits Group is a great option for people lacking a natural market as you are given a market of people to sell to, helping you break into the industry and branching out from there!

Cons

You do pay for your licensing up front, but you get fully reimbursed after 90 days on contract. This is simply to avoid the company being used and abused for licensing purposes since you have to be sponsored by a company to get your FINRA licensing.
    Not a get quick rich scheme. It takes a lot of effort, but can be extremely rewarding and lucrative for the right person.
    May work non-traditional hours to accommodate your clients.

4. "Actuary"

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I first started working in the company, I thought it was great. My coworkers are very professional.

Cons

Expenses cut, Moving to NC, IPO... all contribute to the loss of employee

5. "AXA"

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Great Company, Nice people, Technology, Products, Relationships

Cons

Cold calling, PEP, expensive, products, fees

"Great potential for long-term career if you're willing to put in the work.."

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Running your own schedule: You set your own hours but its a very competitive field so if you're not working 50+ hours a week in your first two years you won't make it for long. If you put in the hours and see enough people, you're bound to get some good clients.

-Uncapped Income: For most advisors, you're going to come across a few clients that close big cases for you and you earn big commissions. Truly uncapped but again depending on how much work you put in, and how lucky you get, to come across such big cases.

-Plenty of resources: AXA does give you the tools to succeed but they won't hold your hand the entire way. It's up to you to go out and do the market researching, lead generating, and all other types of income-generating activities that takes for you to succeed. If you're self-motivated and can manage yourself, you're going to do great.

-Great environment: My team was great and we all got along very well. I made very close friends in the time I was there. My team would plan team-trips once in a while just to hangout outside the office, and the company itself provides company-trips for those who qualify.

-Location: I worked in the midtown Manhattan branch and the office was very nice. Many companies close by to prospect at, many good food choices, and access to all types of trains. When clients would come over for a meeting they mostly would compliment the nice reception/conference room area.

-Long-term opportunities: You truly set your own future here. If you want to be just an insurance agent then you can focus on insurance and make a great living. If you want to be just an investment advisor then AXA offers great funds through LPL Financial (it will just take you a while to build your book). You can become a manager after a couple of years and train people. The choice is yours, just make a decision and commit to it if you want to last.

Cons

-Your entire income is through commissions. If you stop working hard and stop prospecting, then your income will show in a month or so when the business starts slowing down. This can be an issue if you don't have any savings on the side.

-Negative Commissions: Most of the commission you take on life-insurance products are "paid up" commissions, which means that they are paying you a year's-worth of commission upfront in anticipation that the client will keep paying their premiums as they promised. If the client does not pay most of what they promised, then AXA will take back what they paid you in commissions accordingly. This can be an issue if you close a $5,000 commission client, then 6 months later the company tells you that the client stopped funding their policy and now you're in a hole of $3-5K with AXA and they will take it off from your next commission until its all paid off. Again, if you're not prospecting constantly, and managing you existing clients, then you're gonna find yourself in some tough situations.

-Big push for insurance products: AXA is a financial firm with a strong focus on insurance (life, disability, long-term care, variable annuities, etc.) If you're not selling insurance products then your not making a lot of money.

Advice to Management

Focus on training agents better on whats going on in the markets. Insurance is very important but its only a piece of financial planning.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great resources and benefits packages

Cons

- Long hours due to independence

"AXA Advisors"

Current Employee - Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

Management is great and very personal

Cons

Long hours with a lot of sales training

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "good company on the global scale"

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company helps you get up and running with licensing and training. The company has some top-notch products and is stable.

Cons

The focus is on Life insurance and Annuities for young reps, financial advising training is only for Annuity products. Many coworkers have a what's in it for me attitude and some will not interact with you until you make it and are around for a few years unless you do "joint work" splitting commissions. They want you to sell to your family and friends just like any other Life insurance company. If you leave the "joint partners" usually get all your family, friends, and clients that you brought to the company.

Advice to Management

Support staff, well you get what you pay for I guess. The support structure needs to change for new sales employees to succeed past year 3, just because people stay for 3 years (on subsidy) does not mean you have a low turn over rate.

"Not what I was promised - I will be leaving this horrible pyramid scheme soon!"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at AXA Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of your schedule

Cons

Managers lie to recruits and promise rainbows of unlimited income - they will hire ANYBODY which has given this place a horrible reputation. It's getting to the point where you talk to a potential client and they know about AXA because they or someone they knew got scammed by a family or friend into putting all of their money into an expensive AXA annuity and then they left AXA soon after.

The only people who win at this game are the managers who end up inheriting the clients left behind

Advice to Management

Hire people that will have a chance of making it in the industry. Stop focusing on upping the "body count" and stop lying to people. Managers are judged on how many people they hire which leads to garbage man today and "Financial Consultant" tomorrow

I will be leaving this horrible place within a month to get a real job!