AXA XL Reviews in Exton, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Exton, PA

I have been working at AXA XL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had lots of growth opportunities, generous vacation time, flexible work arrangements.

Cons

More time spent on accountability measures than necessary.

Advice to Management

No advice. I love working here.

2. "Better in retrospect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at AXA XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have posted here before but wanted to add some insights now that I've been at another firm for a while.

Strong company culture. Frequent communication from senior leadership, whether town halls or even just regular emails, so that you don't feel they are so removed from the day to day.

HR and IT/help desk, while they could definitely use improvement, are worlds above some other companies. Performance management was taken seriously and there was frequent communication about the annual performance review process - I'm not a fan of these processes generally but admit that they did put some effort into it and communication/ instructions were good. By that I mean, you know the due date, there's a culture of honest and open peer feedback, there frequently communicated trainings about how to fill out the assessments, etc.

VERY strong benefits. Strong starting salaries and fair annual raises.

Generally strong leadership and an authentic passion for innovation and for doing good work. Nice, down to earth people throughout the firm. I felt proud to work there and wanted the company to succeed.

I think McGavick is a very strong leader. I hope that lives on with Greg at AXA.

Cons

A lot of legacy processes and systems in place that didn't get enough investment to overhaul and seriously hindered productivity. Too much "process" that can hold back actual innovation, even if the innovation culture is there. For example creating lots of weekly results spreadsheets and reports instead of using that time to build new ways of doing things. A well intentioned effort to offshore some of the process work only made this worse as onshore employees needed to spend tons of time redoing work by unskilled, untrained, or underpaid colleagues abroad.

Also, unfortunately, in some offices, a bit of a "wait your turn" culture when it comes to promotion and getting exposure to interesting work. A lot of people have been with XL or its predecessors for many years, which is a good thing, but it can hold back young talent. Didn't seem to be truly pay for performance - ratings might be differentiated but pay was barely distinguished, which can hurt incentives. Limited bonuses and promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

Make a stronger effort to retain top employees. Give them opportunities and recognition, including pay.

"Unbelievable but it is true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Pros

Good benefits
    Cafeteria
    Co-workers worked well together and supported each other
    Some of the managers are nice
    Good location
    Good company
    I would recommend people to work there but not for 2 units in the company

Cons

I worked at XL for years in various sectors of the company. Never in my life did I ever think I would be a victim of such a horrific experience as I did in my last years with the company. My direct manager was filled with hate toward individuals she managed, was extremely controlling, micromanaged to the point that it caused interference with production, lied to keep us from doing things that the rest of the company was allowed to do like work from home, held information back, sought managerial advice from lower level staff, had lower level staff perform managerial duties, was able to mentally push nerve wracked people out the door, turned Senior Management against us too, and Senior Management also said inappropriate things to us too. The staff was so upset, everyone was taking anxiety pills to survive. Human Resources became aware and did nothing about it. We all worked hard, we all tried our best, but we were treated with cruelty and hate. How this continues and managers like this are not fired is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Be nice to people. Stop the hate. Be professional. Stop talking and gossiping about people and other managers. Needs high level of improvement.

"Not a bad place to work"

I worked at AXA XL full-time

Pros

Competitive compensation/benefits for mid to low level jobs, plenty of flexibility and minimal supervision

Cons

Strange “elephant in the room” dynamic with difficult colleagues with little to no emotional intelligence or self awareness. Preferential treatment given to suckups, disingenuous management always trying to work some kind of angle through double talk and petty games

Advice to Management

Address glaring and obvious issues rather than fostering an environment of rampant gossip and disingenuous nonsense

"CYA"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Exton, PA

I worked at AXA XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None really, maybe that they have free coffee?

Cons

Management tells various untruths constantly. Your job is secure, we are not looking into getting rid of the complete Scottsdale office/claims unit. What is laughable is there is now a open position in Scottsdale? They just told the claims department that they are all fired and their last day is December 30, 2017. What is with trying to hire someone with the job title offered when you have just let someone go?

Advice to Management

Stop trying to send claims overseas. India is not Little America, they are not legally licenced to adjudicate claims from the United States. What you are planning and implementing is illegal and disgusting too.

6. "HR Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator in Exton, PA
    Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator in Exton, PA

I worked at AXA XL as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent organization. Management is friendly and creative.

Cons

Contract is always short term

Advice to Management

Long-term contract would be assets for the organization

7. "Tech Service Mgr"

Former Employee - Tech Serv Manager in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Tech Serv Manager in Exton, PA

Pros

Work variety, great bench depth and resources

Cons

Political jostling between departments. Hard to get promotions.

Advice to Management

Streamline processes

"I had very bad experience with this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at AXA XL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a friend working there.

Cons

It is a bad place to work in Regulatory Data Reporting group. Because the manager is a bully. And also one of her team members is a bully too.

Advice to Management

Upper management should do what they should do by eliminating bullying in the regulatory reporting group located at Exton.

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Exton, PA

I worked at AXA XL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits - company is involved in the community

Cons

Upper management does not communicate effectively

Advice to Management

Involve employees in events that may impact department as things progress

AXA XL Response

Nov 14, 2013 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your pros, cons, and advice to senior management. We appreciate your input to make XL even better!

"Upper management clueless"

Current Employee - Re-insurance Accountant in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Re-insurance Accountant in Exton, PA

I have been working at AXA XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work in London you get 30!days off a year

Cons

If you work in the USA, they use you

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the people below you who make you look good.