Abacus Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave MacDougall

1. "Very Good Contract Employer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Abacus in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on a RSAF contract. Abacus gave us excellent benefits including a great compound and the best medical care. They treated the single guys the same as the married men as far as housing and that was a real plus for me. They also had a good 401K plan. My direct supervisor was a good guy and treated us fairly.

Cons

Some of the upper management was a bit out of it. Abacus lost the contract finally because they weren't up to the task of dealing with the RSAF.

"Absolutely horrible place to work."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Naples, FL

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They start you with a decent starting salary and the promise of health benefits. Keep reading because anything possible stops here..................

Cons

Well first of all they treat their employees like dirt, and their customers even worse. They lie and cheat their customers regarding pricing and availability and then you are supposed to keep them engaged so they don't cancel the order. The nice salary they offer you is soon gone when you can't meet their quota guidelines. You can't meet the quota because the management aka the ownership already has the good accounts and you are expected to make something with dog accounts that have been called and pestered to death. And those health benefits they promise you, well they have to be the worst health care coverage(and most expensive) I've ever seen in my life. Did I mention they treat their employees worse than a dog?

Advice to Management

Get some ethics and morals. Stop shafting everyone in site, both employees and customers. Stop lying.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Abacus Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting base salary for inside sales. Micromanaging actually helps speed up the learning curve.

Cons

Although the base salary is higher than industry standards, I think they do that because it takes a good while to build up a book of business and make some real money in commissions.

Until then, you are completely micromanaged and held under the microscope like no other sales position I've been a part of. However, to be fair, there's good and bad to being micromanaged. The good is that there's constant, immediate feedback on your calls and you learn very quickly. Of course, the bad is that you're suffocated professionally and made to feel bad even if you just get up to get a drink of water or go to the restroom. This is a position where you need to sit at your desk, call, call, call and do nothing else. Everything is monitored and your numbers are reviewed daily and if that wasn't enough, a weekly one-on-one meeting is held to yep, you guessed it, go over your numbers for the week. This is the strictest environment I've ever seen and I actually didn't have a problem with it because I'm a very disciplined person. However, this is NOT for most people and hence the revolving door of new hires they have coming in and out of there.

I could tolerate the constant micromanaging, the requisite updates every hour to our manager on how we were doing 'numbers wise' for the day (it was constant ) and everything else, but the final blow was when I learned that they would actually start taking money out of your weekly pay if you didn't hit your numbers. I've never, ever heard of such a practice and feel that not only is it bad business, but the negative incentive sends a bad message to the employee. I don't remember being told about that during the hiring process and although I was well on my way to hitting my numbers, I know that sales and success in sales can be cyclical. I didn't want my paycheck fluctuating just because it was a bad month or a slow time of the year. With all that, I decided to go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Kudos on the high base salary to get new talent in the door. Train them well and just trust them to do the job you hired them to do. No need for constant brow-beating and micro, micro management. If they're not motivated to make money, then you'll find out soon enough and can get rid of them. As it stands now, people are constantly leaving because the environment is so bad. When you have to ask a managers permission to step outside and take a five minute emergency phone call, then things have gone a little overboard. Relax a little bit. This isn't a bad place to work but it seems that you're trying to make it that way.

And for all things holy, don't dip into a persons paycheck when or if they don't hit their numbers. That's just wrong on so many levels.

"Full Time"

Current Employee - Senior Scheduler in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scheduler in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Abacus Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A flexible and good employer.

Cons

Government contracting can be up and down.

"Satisfied Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Naples, FL

I have been working at Abacus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very high pay, one of the highest paying companies in Florida. Phone sales, so you're never waiting for a customer to show up, you don't need to spend your time driving and only speak to 10 customers a day. You can literally speak to over 70 people a day without leaving your chair. Never need to call non industry people like people at their houses... Your customers have the job title buyer, they are given a list of things they need to buy everyday and they'll either buy them from you or someone else. You just need to have a friendly enough personality that they choose you instead. Also... Naples, Florida is a pretty nice place to live. I can get to Fort Lauderdale (best airport) in 1.5 hrs, Miami 2 hours or less, Tampa 2 hours and Orlando in 3. All while having some of the best art, culture, restaurants and schools in Florida. Really hard to beat. Every weekend here is like a vacation as long as you are not the kind of person to sit at home. I have not yet been to the other offices.

Cons

Make no mistake, this is a high level position, I was a stock trader before coming here. So not just anyone makes it here. But if you are smart enough, willing to work hard and want to become stronger and better at your sales craft, this is a great job. People who just want an hourly rate and surf facebook stay away, this is for people that value money and want to work a little extra to get more of it. There were some uncomfortable times where I was stressed, but I used my intelligence and got stronger and was successful. Not everyone is able to do that.

Advice to Management

More office culture, parties, lunches or other times when the more mature members can teach and connect with the new people. A lot of the older employees have families, so they don't spend the extra time after work. Maybe a BBQ 4 times a year or something on the weekend?

"Hardcore, inside sales!"

Former Employee - Sales in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naples, FL

Pros

Great pay for the work. Manager always on hand to help.

Cons

Really strict on time management. Be ready to do 120-150 dials per day... They're counting!

Advice to Management

Realize that for what you're paying and the industry your in, your employees are going to be intelligent. Listen to their advice and encourage constructive growth.

"They fire 80% of their staff before the 60 day mark"

Former Employee - Quality Control Inspector in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Control Inspector in Naples, FL

Pros

Better pay than the average entry level. No experience required. They are always hiring due to terminated so many employees.

Cons

Benefits do not accrue till after the 60 day mark. They will terminate 80% of their staff before that time. There is no career goals. They pay their employees salary to avoid paying overtime. They will allow time off unpaid which is the same as an hourly employee. No guaranteed pay like a typical salary employee. There is no orientation, training plans, or employee relations. They are strictly looking for someone to do the job and keep silent the entire time.

Most employees won't see a raise or review on a annual basis. I was lucky to acquire a position with a better company. When I gave my two week notice, they terminated my employment a couple days later. Each position has a quota and if you do not hit that quota; you will also be terminated. Quality Control Inspectors must QC 25 shipments a day minimum no matter how detailed each one is. It is a very dry environment and be prepared to work in a sweatshop style environment. It is frown upon if you do not work through your lunch and nobody leaves at end of the day. Everyone works over; it's expected!

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a reliable company that can make Abacus great!

"Satisfied Senior Sales Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Account Executive in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Account Executive in Naples, FL

Pros

I have been an employee at Abacus Technologies for the better part of 8 years. I began as a sales assistant/shipping dept. and a year later became a sales executive, am now a senior sales executive. Like any sales position, some months are more lucrative than others and some more stressful than others but months become more predictable as the sales rep and accounts become more seasoned. Part of that can be attributed to repeat business coming in from customers, additional rapport and trust being built, comfort levels that come with familiarity and a job well done time and time again.
    Abacus is a fantastic company to work for. The base salary pays well and sales reps are compensated additionally via a generous commission plan which fluctuates depending on the Gross profit shipped the previous month. The better you do as an account executive, the more you will make the following month. There are also opportunities to give yourself a salary raise contingent upon Gross profit goals being met. In addition, there are sales contests which allow for some extra pocket money throughout the month which is always appreciated and keeps sales reps focused on daily numbers. Abacus has paid holidays, 401k (the company matches 100% of a generous percentage- double previous companies I've worked for) and health insurance. I've enjoyed my coworkers throughout the years- everyone gets along well for the most part. Salespeople are grouped into teams, each with a manager that they answer to but that manager has the same job that they all do so it's more like a "mentor". Each salesperson is responsible for meeting their own individual quotas which are agreed upon by the salesperson and manager. In my experience, salespeople who do what they are asked to do, and follow the "system" laid out for them and are consistent in their efforts, are almost 100% of the time successful and the company supports those who are on the right track or on their way there. Once you reach your "flow" and find your system that allows for you to achieve all that is expected, this is an extremely rewarding job. All in all, I think very highly of Abacus Tech and would highly recommend to motivated individuals with a passion to make money.

Cons

Because a book of business isn't handed to you, and you have to build your own (contacts are provided but not "accounts"), it takes a while (a year or so) to reach the point where you're shipping the gross profit monthly that a seasoned sales rep should be shipping but each month is an upward slope towards that point and the team managers help to keep you on track and hit your goals. Sales techniques can be learned and mastered as you go. There are some years I've made $125K and others where I was at $80k+. It does take a year or two to get to that point but once you do, it's just maintenance and continued hard work. . There are rules/regulations that all employees must adhere to- for example: PTO requests and daily end of day reports must be submitted formally via an intranet site in addition to support requests. All call log activities must be logged into the company system, etc. The corporate system took a little getting used to for me and was a bit annoying at first but once it clicked, it became second nature, seamless and allows things to run more smoothly and efficiently in the long run throughout the company- everything is easily trackable via the system and can be referred to. . If you don't follow directions well, aren't great at juggling several things at a time when needed, or holding yourself personally accountable, this probably isn't the best career for you.

Advice to Management

Suggestions: positively reinforce jobs well done, have more employee events more often (xmas party, pizza lunch, bowling etc) to bring everyone together more as a team.

"Great Opportunity With A Great Company!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Abacus Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are motivated to make money, and thrive in high energy/fast-paced atmosphere this is the opportunity for you. Abacus is a great company with excellent benefits including: paid vacation/sick days, holidays off, health insurance, and 401k which is matched 100%. This job requires individuals to work extremely hard in an inside sales environment (phone calls/emails), and receive a very good reward for their work. Your leads are given the first day you begin, and if you show continuous improvement and growth you could be rewarded with more. The company is structured very well, and the rules/expectations are very straight forward. You basically own your own destiny as with any sales job. Your numbers will speak for themselves if you maintain a high work ethic. The company is expanding into different markets as well as adding more employees daily showing its potential for growth. The commission and salary are linked by how much gross profit you ship each month. If you sell more not only will you be commissioned, but you also have the ability to get paid more in salary - how awesome!

Cons

As with any company, there are always those employees who do not want to be accountable for their work. At the end of the day, you work for you not anyone else. With my experience, anyone who has a lot of negative to say either did not get on board with the sales process or something did not go their way. I encourage anyone who is looking to add their positive attitude and high work ethic to a team of bright salespeople to consider this opportunity.

Advice to Management

More frequent visits to office locations nationwide. Also, continuous involvement with salespeople and managers on different processes. Prizes or gifts.

"Worst company I have ever worked for! And that's no bull!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Abacus Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting salary. Some good people. They also had new updated equipment for the office.

Cons

UN-ethical. I was told to lie to the customers, and tell them we had stock when we did not stock parts. They are strictly a broker. There was also a ton of talking behind peoples back going on by the manager and others. The list of contacts they give you to cold call is large, but 98% of them have nothing to do with or use any electronic components.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. Also you should not deduct $200 a week and $400 a week from their salaries. Just because they don't happen to hit there sales numbers for 1 and 2 months respectively. I have never heard of anything like that from any other companies I have worked for. Bad way to motivate people to push through and kill it the next month.