Abaxis Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Abaxis Chairman, President, and CEO Clint Severson
Clint Severson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company, great people"

I have been working at Abaxis full-time

Pros

Open, honest employees with great products

Cons

Goals can be high and lots of competition

Advice to Management

Would be great to have a forum to give feedback on management, no real resource for addressing concerns about direct managers

"Great people and great products!"

I have been working at Abaxis full-time

Pros

The people at Abaxis is the best reason to work there. Good people and great culture.

Cons

Would love to have an updated gym and more games than ping pong.

Advice to Management

Only advice to analyze management and to see if they're the best fit for the role.

3. "R&D Lab"

Current Contractor - Laboratory in Brentwood, CA
    Current Contractor - Laboratory in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at Abaxis as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everyone is very nice. Great management. Very flexible with my hours, great company parties, picnics and benefits

Cons

Hard to become hired from temp to permanent position. Might have to wait for years. Pay is weak in some positions

Abaxis Response

Nov 4, 2015 – HR Rep

Thank you for your feedback. I checked my records and I don't see anyone working for us through an agency that has been here as a contractor for 8 years, so it looks like your status may have... More

4. "Great Company"

I worked at Abaxis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great company to work for. we worked well as a group. The lab was the best lab in the country. My direct supervisor was amazing as was the President and VP of the lab.

Cons

They sold the Laboratory to a competitor and laid everyone off.

Abaxis Response

Nov 4, 2015 – HR Rep

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you had a great experience while you worked with us. I was sorry to start working with Abaxis, right at the time of the AVRL closure. I know it was a... More

5. "Great company experience so far!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Union City, CA

I have been working at Abaxis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has been very helpful to me. I started at this company with one set of job expectations, but those expectations changed rapidly. I have had a great opportunity to learn and grow, to make important decisions, and to provide leadership during my Director's leave of absence.

Cons

I took a pay cut to come to Abaxis. That was base pay only. As my responsibilities have increased, I believe I have been treated very fairly as far as earning potential is concerned.

Advice to Management

This is a successful company and I expect it will continue to succeed. Plans need to be put in place for succession as many in roles of leadership approach retirement. The company has a conservative approach to compensation, and it has proven to be a successful approach to date. As the marketplace changes, an appropriate response could make the difference between finding the quality team members we need, and just scraping by with those we can afford to hire.

"(avrl - before we were sold out)"

Former Employee - Mlt in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Mlt in Olathe, KS

I worked at Abaxis (More than 5 years)

Pros

I considered leaving several times because I was overwhelmed and overworked.... But at the end of the day, they knew and they cared and they were trying to do something about it...
    Great team and company.
    Awesome work environment.
    Steady workload
    Learning encouraged

Cons

Bought out
    Big abaxis only wants sales
    All employees were dropped on their behinds like it was no big deal, brush your shoulders off....

Advice to Management

Know your techs, I knew how to fix half your problems in under a week, but I read people better than most.
    Amazing guy, honestly. Always willing to teach if you were willing to learn.

7. "Engineer"

Pros

Work hours are flexible and colleagues are helpful. The management seems to be trying to move company to greater height.

Cons

Some people have been here for a long time and not a great risk taker. Changes can be slow at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Company is moving in the right direction.

"Great Company to work for"

I worked at Abaxis full-time

Pros

Great benefits: Stock plan, profit sharing, and nice company picnics. Mostly friendly working atmosphere

Cons

Personalities who are consistently trying to undermine the efforts of different departments to work in harmony

Advice to Management

Do not overlook the interdepartmental working relationships

"Good experience, small company feel with growth potential."

Pros

Excellent benefits, and work environment. sometimes challenging however not particularly stressful.

Cons

The scientific end of the operation, not really R&D, more development, was very arrogant and brittle. they tried to manage engineering efforts however did so poorly resulting in ten to fifteen year old designs that never improved. Manufacturing was always left hanging. They often would comment in terms of their importance, referring to all other functions and people as "rote" or not significant- Not team players!

Advice to Management

They need to decide whether or not the company is going to grow, and if so get out of the way and hire the key operations, engineering, and yes, R&D staff that will allow for unfettered growth. Too much old baggage with the current executive management team.