Abbott Labs Reviews in Abbott Park, IL | Glassdoor

Updated October 25, 2017

Abbott Park, IL

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging (in 32 reviews)

• Lot of initiatives implemented at one time by senior management resulting in continuous change in the operational processes (in 25 reviews)

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair work schedule for Operations, decent team of people to work with

Cons

The Abbott "family" feel is long gone, lower management likes to provoke people one against another.

"Outsourcing IT Globally"

Former Employee - GIS in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - GIS in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many since they lost Humira. The money is gone. They have no C-Level executives in IT because they don't value it.

Cons

Don't go here if you're an IT professional. Only a skeleton crew left after they outsourced technology to India.

Advice to Management

Enjoy your bonuses?

"Abbott IT Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people in IT that you work with are passionate about what they do. Compensation and benefits are above average. The overall company genuinely believes in its products and the people they benefit.

Cons

Ever since the company split with AbbVie, it seems that IT has been viewed as nothing but a a burden and a cost by executive leadership. Senior IT leadership seems to have been tasked with significantly reducing IT's cost profile apparently without being given the latitude to make strategic investments that will eventually reduce costs. As a result, it seems that they have been forced to reduce headcount by outsourcing which has appeared to lower business satisfaction with IT. That, in conjunction with poor change management and communications, significant leadership changes, and lack of a clear strategic direction, has resulted in extremely low morale among those of us who are left. It seems that people who can leave either have left or are trying to leave. Those who have outdated/obsolete skills, have been there so long that it wouldn't make financial sense to leave, or have no desire to re-enter the job market come to work each day with the fear that their job will be next to be eliminated.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate the short and long-term plan for IT and maintain open and transparent communication channels to employees. Share IT's challenges so that we all have a stake in addressing them. When will the layoffs be finished? Invest in IT's culture so that remaining employees feel that they are valued. Abandon the perceived prevalent attitude that "you should be happy you have a job."

4. "Messaging & Collaboration Analyst"

Former Employee - Messaging & Collaboration Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Messaging & Collaboration Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

Pros

Great managers great work enviroment provide training take care of their employees

Cons

No cons very fast busy work enviroment which IT business is

Advice to Management

No advise

5. "Divisional Vice President-Diagnostics"

Former Employee - Divisional Vice President in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Divisional Vice President in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global, great benefits and highly talented people

Cons

Tremendous focus on milestone achievement

Advice to Management

None

"No loyalty from employer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some are great people to work with. The benefits are mediocre but Ok.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement unless you're politically savvy. Its not what you know, its who you know at Abbott. There is also no loyalty from the employer (Abbott) but the employer will expect/demand lots of hours (beyond the 50hrs/wk). Abbott been laying off people for a couple years now. They layoff employees in batches every quarter to go under the news radar. Then, they launch an employee longevity campaign to convince the public that employees stay at Abbott for a long time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Let the employee's work speak for itself and don't just focus on which employee is scratching your back.

"Senior Manufacturing Professional"

Former Employee - Illinois in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only real pros where the salary and benefits.

Cons

Very little internal movement allowed at the manufacturing level; Poor resource allocation at times of tremendous change; Senior management has little to no experience as to what the manufacturing personnel actually do or need for their job

Advice to Management

You need to hire more people so loss of knowledge at key manufacturing positions is not compromised.

8. "higher level management is smart, driven but arrogant and ultimately did not share my values"

Former Intern - MBA Management Development in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Intern - MBA Management Development in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good and the perks are good. As an MBA intern, I was treated very well. I had an inspiring cohort of fellow interns, and there were numerous social and professional development events planned for us throughout the summer. Some of us had more direction and support in our internships than others. I did not even receive a performance evaluation at the end of the summer, even though I was told initially that there would be one.

Cons

I received some strange feedback while there, from upper management. One told me that it would be the "personal brand" that I cultivated that would ultimately determine my salary and professional advancement at the company. Quality of work and ethics were strangely omitted as factors in that. Another told me that it was not a gay-friendly environment, and that, if you were lgbt friendly, being closeted was also necessary for advancement.

Advice to Management

I hope things have changed since I was there and the culture has become more lgbt friendly. It would also be nice to make sure that interns, no matter how bright or motivated they seem, get the proper support and guidance while there.

9. "IT Operations Lead"

Current Employee - IT Operations Lead in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - IT Operations Lead in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company allows movement within the company

Cons

Outsources employees for benefit of the company

Advice to Management

Remember your employees have a life outside of Abbott. Working Sat / Sun should be limited.

10. "Analyst"

Current Contractor - Human Capital Analyst in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Contractor - Human Capital Analyst in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated very fairly in the organization, respected just like a full time employee during my contract. Trusted to do the work with minimal supervision

Cons

Organization has a lot of compartmentalization that they are working on to break down these barriers and advance team work levels

Showing 148 of 1,294 reviews