Abbott Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

1,044 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,044 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management does not appreciate employees at sites outside of Chicago (in 22 reviews)

"Not a good place for unbiased scientific research"

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Abbott Park, IL

Pros

Realized later that the only good thing was the pay... I am glad I negotiated well at the beginning and then when realized how bad a company it was to work for, I resigned.

Cons

Frequent restructuring; managers treating team members bad; inflexibility in giving time off due to family/leave issues; office politics taking over research...

Advice to Management

The higher management should listen to the employees down in the hierarchy. Many things don't reach the upper management, if it does it reaches in a filtered way, so the upper management does not know what is going on in terms of the problems down there.

"Poor leadership at all levels of the organization"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is difficult to be terminated at Abbott

Cons

Poor Leadership
    A general disrespect for contributors
    HR very very poorly ran
    No sharing of best practices between divisions

Advice to Management

Make leadership development your major focus and that will have an impact at every level of your company!

"What was I thinking?"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Out of office all day. The friends you make during training become lifelong friends. Car allowance.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT. No future. Never know when you will be let go. No more access in doctors offices. Most doctors do not want you around. Busy work that has nothing to do with selling. Waiting in drug closets for an hour for a signature. Obamacare.

Advice to Management

You have already killed this career.

"adversarial"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company feel, profit sharing is a big benefit, ability to transfer to other divisions

Cons

quickly assemulates cultures to be the same. Pay for growth, but no support to gain growth. Management seems inept with diferent agenda. More worried about thier power point presentations vs. taking care of business. Hostile relationship with sales and marketing.

Advice to Management

seek advise of field leardership and market participants. those closest to customer have good advice to share.

"If You Don't Mind Leaving Massachusetts, Abbott Labs Could Be Great For You"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer in Worcester, MA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't require education to be respected at Abbott and in fact earlier you commence career and remain with Abbott, better off you will be.

Non base pay benefits exceed many provided by other Massachusetts companies.

Cons

Worcester site:
    Tolerant of harassment including physical harassment.
    High turnover rate for Manufacturing.
    Rather than mar PR image, employee bullying prominent to reduce Manufacturing staff.
    Reduction of Manufacturing staff and overtime to show management's ability to reduce labor costs has caused a cessation in cross training outside the plant hindering career growth for those desiring to move outside the plant environment.

Advice to Management

May want to take claims of harassment more seriously.

7. "Internal Auditor"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling around the world was great.

Cons

Mgmt is very poor and plays favoritism.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

"Abbott Blabs"

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Some really good people or as they call it "human capital."

Cons

Worst managed company I have ever worked for. Everything is for the benefit of a few in Operations and they are staffed entirely by rejects from other departments who do as they're told and question nothing. They claim to be a #1 minority employer but they only recruit female minorities to make both lists for the record. The only thing that never changes is their capacity to lie to their employees with a straight face.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp your compensation package. Stop rewarding the same old cronies with bonuses and start listening to your employees.

9. "Tech Accountant"

Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers good benefits -nothing special compare to some other companies; 18 day vaca, 7sick days for non exempt, 401K match, tuition reimbursement. You must work July 4th depending on the department. They have great nutritionist available for all employees.

Cons

I was part of a Consolidations group in the corporate finance and I have to say it was a very difficult group to work for. No training, no development, sucky management. If the managers like you then your life at work is great, if they don't then you have horrible experience like I did. Favorism is a huge part of management at Abbott - all across the board. Very resistant to any changes, lots of bitter old women that don't like to incorporate any changes, and ideas you have get shot down, they don't even want to listen to suggestions. Comments like "Check your stupidity" are on daily bases. The company is going thru restructuring after spin off and people are scared for their jobs. Morale is very low, no motivation, you just go there to work and that's it. You sit in the cube most of the day with very little interaction with others. My team had deadlines that would never be met because management kept extending them and during reviews they would blame analysts for not meeting deadlines. Their monthly close is 11 workdays which is extremely long. People say Abbott is a great place to work for, but I've been there for 16 months and I hated it since day one because of management. I've worked with a woman that was there for 23 years and didn't want to share knowledge and every time I asked her to explain something to me she pretended she didn't understand what I was talking about and always answered "I'm not sure, I don't know the answer to that". There are only few good divisions at Abbott that people enjoy working for like Nutrition but corporate finance is not one of them. My manager was so unprofessional and very fake which is a normality at Abbott. She would always talk badly about other employees in front of her group. You never hear "Great Job" and there is a lack of encouragement to do better. I got goals for year 2012 during my review in 2013 which was a joke. They have this "onboarding" process for new employees that doesn't exist. Manager don't take development seriously so don't count on having great reviews. They only promote their favorites.

Advice to Management

Allow innovation and incorporate change. Allow younger generation to provide suggestions and take them seriously.

"The worst company I have worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Representative in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Representative in Orange, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable sized territories.

Cons

Too much overtime and senseless busy work. I worked 10 to 11 hour days and always had work on the weekends. They also moved me to 5 different positions in 6 years. It interrupts client relationships and is not good business.

Advice to Management

Create a work life balance for your employees and cut the busy work to the field force. Don't keep shuffling the deck and move your employees around so much. Interrupts relationships with the clients. More transparency with what is going on in the company.

"Don't stay"

I worked at Abbott Labs (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for gaining some experience but I would not stay long. The benefits and pay are good compared to other industries but if you stay for a long time you will eventually be underpaid compared to your peers at other healthcare companies.

Cons

Very political culture. Had many poor managers. Was there for over 25 years and was let go because I was close to retirement age...which is a cost to them. They do not value employees being there for a long time.

Advice to Management

Advancement people based on performance and integrity. It is all about who you know and if you are in the "club".

Showing 1,044 of 1,159 reviews