Abbott Vascular Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Abbott Vascular Chairman & CEO Miles D. White
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Generous benefits, genuine and caring people, and flexible work-life balance programs (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits and excellent good workers (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance that Abbott preaches is sometimes ignored when projects get busy (in 16 reviews)

• Overall, archaic systems, poor middle & upper management, lagging behind in product development (in 14 reviews)

"What a joke"

Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Abbott Vascular (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Food in when we were not allowed to leave the building.

Cons

Horrible management. Hours were unnecessarily long. Sales reps & leaders were incredibly rude to inside support team. Leadership was not at all helpful. New employees treated like door mats by leadership & staff. Felt hazed constantly.

Advice to Management

Likely hopeless. All med device Co's think they are gods gift. Try to teach your sales staff not to be jerks. I earned 1/4 of what they earned & probably worked 2 times longer every week - didn't need to also be talked to like a dog & screamed at - hospital purch departments have processes for purchasing & docs don't buy product or make product decisions for hospitals, nor do they give sales reps ultimatums stating they better have a contract to them in a day, an hour, or a week. It just doesn't work that way so cut out the lies.

"Poor culture and management"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The benefits are good
    Nice coworkers

Cons

micromanagement
    middle management (at least the person I dealt with) is not qualified for people management
    High turnover
    no open communication

Advice to Management

Be open to your people
    Choose your (middle) management thoroughly, please!

"Sugar-coated jurassic company!"

Current Employee - Office in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Office in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The former Guidant employees still makes this workplace a good place to be.

Cons

They only care about profits. They don't update their software, laptops, computers, printers, etc. We still have Internet Explorer 8 which doesn't work with our current apps then you end up calling IT which is also contracted out somewhere in India. They laid off our shipping/receiving and facilities people whose average years of service is 20+ and contract them out. Now we are being asked to pick up our own Fed Ex/shipments doesn't matter the size because they left one person to handle a 3-man job. And did I mention that hourly employees only gets 6 sick days a year.. and get this at 75% of pay? Yap! You get 100% of pay for all 6 sick glory days when you reach 15 years of service. In comparison to hotel workers in San Francisco gets 10 days full pay. Great company huh. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Sell it to a company who knows how to bring out the best in their employees.

"top heavy/extremely lean/no growth"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the only reason I have managed to stay 2 years at Abbot vascular in Santa Clara, CA is my coworkers.

Cons

Extremely top heavy. in RA organization of 40+, there are 9 directors!!! 3 left last year and only one was replaced. So yes there were 12 at one point. Last year we had 15 employees leave due to work stress. Management did not blink an eye. Handful contractors were hired and left due to poor treatment. They rather start out with new contractor vs hiring the existing ones. Maybe 4-5 permanent people were hired to fill those positions. We are told to be lean! the worker bees are expected to work 12-14 hour days because we're a global company. And if you want a promotion in 2-3 years you need to put in overtime and you might just get it. Yet compensation is at least 10-15% less than other companies.
    There is also a lot of outsourcing. IT is mostly gone, you deal with people in India who are not trained properly to do their job. Clinical has been outsourced to a CRO. There is one person left in doc control! Business slows because of broken systems and lack of proper resources.

Advice to Management

Treat your remaining workers with respect and provide opportunities for grow. Otherwise you will have a 40%+ turnover rate and difficulty filling positions. People have no loyalty to company that treats them like dirt.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Assembler in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Some of the people were nice.

Cons

Management lacks respect. Even with a bachelors degree, ones chances of moving one step up the ladder takes 2 years. Not very reasonable.

"Terrible & Unethical to High Achievements & Positive Energy back to T&U!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Abbott Vascular (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits across the board. CEO an excellent example of Leadership. Employees genuine, team-oriented and high-spirited!

Cons

Many but not all Middle and Upper Management 2-faced, berating, manipulative and insincere when attempting to be managerial effective. Do not walk the talk. Caused many employees illnesses. Ask 1 or all the nurses left employed or former.

Advice to Management

It's too late. What's done is done. You all left many wounded and those that survived just play along for their own reasons. If you sleep well every night, it's KARMA in-queue. You're all forgiven by some of us that took the better road.

8. "lack of leadership and talent,"

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Abbott Vascular (More than 10 years)

Pros

company was a leader in stent and cardiac implantable devices

Cons

went down the tubes after acquired by Abbott Labs

Advice to Management

Grow up and hire people with experience. You laid off your most valuable assets, the engineers that were the life blood of the company and now you are struggling to catch up

"Questionable future prospects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time

Pros

- Passionate people
    - Good mission with technologies to help people
    - Great benefits
    - Competitive compensation

Cons

- Unmotivated employees given number of reorganization and staff layoffs
    - No future product pipeline
    - Over worked. Lean staff due to layoffs but work still needs to get done.
    - Poor Senior leadership

Advice to Management

- Stop cutting jobs but rather create a strategy that will grow top line sales. Be tough and make strong business decisions, even decisions the CEO may not like or agree with
    - Care about your employees and rebuild the culture. Used to be a great place to work with a bright future. You need an army to support the business but if you don't care about your employees you can't expect them to fight for the cause.

"ABT Vascular--How do they make it?"

Current Employee - Coronary Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coronary Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

discounted baby formula & muscle powder......

Cons

Worst run company ever been associated with. Upper mgt is the 'good ole' boys club' & have no idea of what reality might be in the real medical sales environment. Always cleaning house by laying off reps but upper mgt is the problem & has no clue of reality. Doubt Myles White even has a clue about how corrupt top mgt is........

Advice to Management

Clean up your house & stop the 'good ol boys club' thing..........

"Sr Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Abbott Vascular full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many. Lost for words.

Cons

Work environment, you are only a number, excessive work hours. Thankless setting.

Advice to Management

Flush management out. Start over.