Abcam Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Abcam CEO Alan Hirzel
Alan Hirzel

Pros
Cons
  • They don't practice what they preach (work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Several middle managers appear to be poor at their job and would rather be doing something else (in 4 reviews)

"Overall great company"

Current Employee - Logistics Technician in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Logistics Technician in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Abcam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the culture are the best parts of Abcam, in my opinion. It's a very friendly and open environment which is welcoming to new hires. The Logistics team is great, with a fairly young group who get together outside of work quite a bit. Everyone is focused on improving and becoming more efficient, while still having fun on the job.
    The benefits package is much better than any of my friends' or family members' at their current jobs. This is the first job for me after college, so I don't exactly have a good sense of what to expect with benefits, but after hearing what my friends and parents are offered and have to pay, it's clear that Abcam goes above and beyond most other companies.
    The company is growing rapidly, and recently made another acquisition. The office is expanding soon to make room for the growth, which is really exciting.

Cons

While it's exciting that the company is growing so much, it kind of seems like it's growing faster than it can catch up. There are plans in place to expand multiple offices and completely overall the IT system, so it's good to see that the issues are being addressed. Perhaps they should have been addressed sooner, though.

Advice to Management

Continue working on personal development with each employee and continue being as open as you can with changes, objectives, etc.

2. "good work environment"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Agent in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Agent in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Abcam as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a very good work environment, and the people I worked with were professional but very pleasant and personable.

Cons

As with most customer service jobs, the actual tasks I had could get boring and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Please continue to foster good team work and employee appreciation! :)

"Temp Survey"

Former Employee - Temp in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Temp in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Easy going staff, kitchen stocked for breakfast, accessible location. I was hired for a two week span, from 10-2 in order to get a certain # of customers to take a survey. Most customers were pretty willing to talk, so it was fun (except a few).

Cons

I was hired as a temp for a project done once a year. I had to cold call customers and get them to take a survey, asking about their customer satisfaction, some of which weren't interested and could be rude.

"Nice People, Don't Know How to Keep Employees"

Former Employee - Research Technician III in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Research Technician III in Eugene, OR

I worked at Abcam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technicians have a huge amount of freedom and this culture makes Abcam's Eugene office an intellectually challenging place to work. The work/life balance is good, but then that should be expected for hourly positions. The 401K contribution is a nice perk. PTO is easy to manage and is reliably given when you want it.

Cons

There's very little possibility for advancement. Raises almost never happen, and when they do they're minimal. Compensation is well below the industry average even in the region. Fortunately they're right next to the University of Oregon, so there's a pretty constant stream of new faces as new graduates get experience, but it's a shame they aren't willing to step up to try to keep some of their more talented employees for longer.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Scientist in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Abcam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Abcam has a grassroots policy, giving employees a real channel to voice their concerns, feedback or to give new ideas to the company

Cons

A lot of re-org in some areas of the company, which can be unsettling for some.

"Good place to work...but really could be a "great" place to work with a few changes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Abcam has a very nice environment and a lot of ambitious plans as a company. I am proud to say I work there, and when people find out I work there (if they know who we are), they know I am working for a good place. I receive good benefits (100% paid insurance!) and other perks. It's great.

Cons

I don't like trying to find a place to park there, and they do not provide parking. Also, it feels like I cannot advance and get promoted, because the people managing the place have been there a long time and are not going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job. Abcam is a good place to work, and still has a small-business feel. I enjoy my job.

"Great for many different people"

I have been working at Abcam full-time

Pros

It has a great culture, and most departments are very collegial. It offers excellent benefits, and accessibility to leadership, who are often very good about providing feedback.

Cons

not all departments have growth opportunities, and as a result some departments have higher rates of turnover. That can cause issues with continuity or the ability to build relationships among different departments.

Advice to Management

Recognize the efforts of employees more consistently, and do more to give individual recognition (especially to the unsung heroes).

"Great company to work for, but lack of traditional ladder"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Abcam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are superb. No 'remit culture' with people sticking to their specific tasks; everyone wants to get involved in projects if they can add something - in Marketing, any way.

Management are eager to try things, and seem invested in pushing their teams to achieve.

Social life is good, but don't expect it to come to you. Making connections and meeting as many colleagues as possible will always give you a night somewhere each week.

Cons

Office spaces leave a lot to be desired, however they are building a completely new HQ within 3 years.

Hard to know what the next logical career step is. But they are trying to change this! Too many managers.

Advice to Management

More clarity and transparency over what a career path at Abcam looks like. You don't have to take on an old school philosophy, but just make everyone aware of what is possible and how to get there.

"Energetic, friendly, interesting, sometimes too reactive"

I have been working at Abcam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, enthusiastic dynamic culture, hard work is valued, valuable work going on to improve quality to the scientific community

Cons

Sometimes too reactive, agility is both a strength and a weakness

"a very friendly team"

I worked at Abcam part-time

Pros

Friendly environment;
    easy access to help;
    hardly any beyond office hour work;

Cons

career development seems limited