Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Fran Horowitz
1 Rating

1,656 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Abercrombie should continue to work on helping associates have a better work-life balance (in 156 reviews)

• Either hire a separate over-night team for floor sets or pay the associates more money than minimum wage to work until 4am on weeknights (in 408 reviews)

1. "A good job to have for about 1 year"

Former Employee - Stock Lead in Whitehall, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Lead in Whitehall, PA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-lots of work to keep you busy
    -fun environment, you can listen to music in the stockroom
    -don't have to deal with customers all the time

Cons

-sometimes there would be too much shipment that we couldn't get done
    -some managers would over stress about things
    -no room for advancement unless you have a college degree

Advice to Management

Lose the requirement for a Bachelor's degree to be a manager because it has nothing to do with whether a manager will be competent or not.

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, learned how to manage a store, the employee discount was pretty good, and learning merchandising/floor sets was fun. If you stick out working in stores long enough and you really love the company the opportunities can be really cool. My friend works in China now on the new stores team! But she had to deal with managing an AnF kids for a long time before this opportunity arose. I did have insurance when I worked here, which was the only time in my life that I had insurance. The company itself has seemed to improve since Mike Jeffries stepped down from the CEO role.

Cons

Terrible pay, hard to move up, having to deal with bad associates (no call/no shows), the worst hours, having to work holidays, not able to work over time. A lot of times DM's and RM's make promises they can't keep. I know one manager who has been the SM for the same store for 3 years because she can't move. Being at a store for that long in the same position isn't ever good.

Advice to Management

The managers need to be paid more. Also, corporate does a lot of hand-holding. I work part time at Gap now, and their managers have way more freedom when it comes to how the store looks.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong family like network between yourself and your coworkers if you manage it well. There are lots of opportunities to prove yourself and work your way up in the company.

Cons

Not many hours.
    Deal with a lot of unhappy customers who are unable to speak english.

Advice to Management

None

4. ""Brand-Representative" in the store"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with your work schedule. If you're unable to work one day you can usually almost always give your shift away.

Most everyone is the same age as you so you have the opportunity to make friends

Cons

Store management is only 2-3 years older than the brand representatives are and spend a lot of time scolding brand representatives for the way they're wearing their clothing or talking to other employees, but spend most of their time talking to their favorite employees and chatting with other managers.

Nothing to do in the store except for walking around folding clothes and "helping" customers which can get boring because most customers are just looking and when there are no customers to help management will still tell you to go "help" a customer which just annoys the customers. It's like management has never shopped in a store themselves before and don't understand that it's annoying to have a store employee walk behind you as you try to just shop.

Advice to Management

Understand a better way to run the store rather than what looks good on paper.

5. "Builds Appreciation for Retail Workers"

Former Employee - Brand Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Brand Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to work on interpersonal and customer service skills.
    Provides flexible work hours, with opportunities to work as much or as little as you'd like.

Cons

Typically has pretty terrible management when it comes to maturity and professionalism.
    You will be responsible for picking up the slack of others.

Advice to Management

Be sure to only reward employees who are deserving of award and acknowledgment, rather than by favorites. Your employees will pick up on this and it will reduce associate morale.

6. "Average Job"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment, I didn't have trouble finding shifts to work, and I only had to go through one interview to get the job.

Cons

The pay wasn't nearly enough to keep me working there, and the benefits weren't very great either - although I was only a part time worker there.

Advice to Management

The managers could have been more serious about their job. Sometimes they would spend a lot of time just talking, and (as a stockroom worker), it seemed a little disorganized when I came in to work some days.

7. "Part-time stock associate"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in New Albany, OH
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in New Albany, OH

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends there.

Cons

Very unprofessional management team there.

8. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assist Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assist Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment , fun, motivated, employee discount, good for beginners, learning a lot of stuffs in retail industry , quick learning process, good working space

Cons

Little pay, employee qualities, limited ability, not enough benefit , management team are not at the same level, career path is not motivated enough, hard to get promoted to high level corporate positions

9. "Brand Rep"

Current Employee - Brand Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

- nice co workers
    -nice managers

Cons

- not enough hours, hardly get any. get 4 hours once every 2 weeks
    -boring

Advice to Management

give more hours

10. "MIT"

Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT) in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager In Training (MIT) in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be dressed relaxed, while stylish! Outside that maybe the discount? Overall it's ok, not the greatest. Stay at least until you find something better!

Cons

1. Nonsense updates. 2. Marketing changes too often. This means you take down signs that took all dang day to find the day before, only to change it again the next day! 3. A&F loves to hire college staff and pay them minimum wage. This results in a slew of no call/no shows, late employees, and apathetic ones. You'll find maybe two solid workers, the rest are awful! 4. Working weekends all the time/holidays are a nightmare!

Advice to Management

Like they'll really listen. 😒

Showing 1,656 of 4,395 reviews