Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur Martinez

4,318 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Abercrombie should continue to work on helping associates have a better work-life balance (in 156 reviews)

• Either hire a separate over-night team for floor sets or pay the associates more money than minimum wage to work until 4am on weeknights (in 407 reviews)

1. "Stay Away from Abercrombie & Fitch"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

small discount, requires college degree for management-- still a lot of dumb people though.

Cons

being on your feet for 10 hrs a day, which actually caused me to have surgery due to their requirement of wearing flip-flops. HARD work. ridiculous rules.

Advice to Management

treat your employees like humans and not work horses

2. "Cool store atmosphere, bad management."

Current Employee - Brand Representative in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Brand Representative in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

The atmosphere in the store is definitely fun. Most of the workers are pretty cool and time flies when you're in good company. The music is also upbeat, modern, and chill, with a few good classics (remixed to techno beats) thrown into the mix. I also like the dim lighting and good interior design - it makes you feel like you're in a high-end place.

Cons

Minimum wage, dumbass managers, bad hours. They pretty much just use the high school and college kids that they hire to attract other young people to buy overpriced, bad quality clothes. Management is very unorganized and is inconsistent with schedules. A & F also moves the managers around a lot. I worked there for about a year, and the store went through like 10 different managers in that time period. Most of them like to goof around more than run a good business. They show no respect for the brand reps and abuse their positions.

Advice to Management

Get organized and be more consisitent.

3. "Abercrombie & Fitch The Worst Company Ever"

Current Employee - "Model" in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - "Model" in Columbus, GA

Pros

The environment appears to be very friendly at first, but then you start to realize that the managers as well as the coporate office are very unfair to African American workers. Especially to me. The way the company runs its business is not fair to all workers and seems like their is racial issues towards black workers. The Abercromie and Fitch Store located in Columbus, Georgia (the whole company) needs to be under serious investigation. i am employeed with Abercrombie & Fitch and because of the company not providing me with proper information, i have not been to work in two almost three months. Overall because of DISCRIMINATION issues.

Cons

The company itself is one big lie, and you will not be respected just kicked to the side and forgotten about like everything is your fault, but it's not your fault.

Advice to Management

Abercrombie & Fitch needs to make a better decision on how to run a business , treat employees fair or go out of business.

"NO WORK LIFE BALANCE"

Current Employee - Designer in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Designer in New Albany, OH

Pros

Good name to put on your resume. If you can last here a year that says a lot.

Cons

No work life balance. Managers with little experience. Lack of mentorship. Unfair promotion practices. If you want to work from 8am-7pm at the bare minimum go ahead and work there!!!

Advice to Management

Be open to suggestions and mentor your assistants. Don't just treat them like a set of hands. Don't believe every word your "stellar associate" is feeding you. Most likely they are kissing up to get a promotion.

6. "Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Brand Model in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Model in New York, NY

Pros

It's an easy job and you meet a lot of attractive people. You stand around folding clothes and greeting customers, looking out for shop lifters. The atmosphere is totally relaxed unless it's during the holiday seasons. They offer flexible hours so you can keep another job that pays more. basically I would recommend this job to college kids who already wear their clothes and need a little money on the side.

Cons

The music gets so repetitive and the customers can be so unpleasant at times. They give you little pay and most of it goes to buying their clothes. The managers just walk around and don't really care about you. They treat you like you're easy to replace (and you are), and they are incompetent most times.

Advice to Management

Pay more than minimum wage!

"Stabbed in the back at ANF"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Your Friends think it's "cool".
    Pay is good, at least in Loss Prevention

Cons

Be ready to play "Survivor". Promotions and even keeping your job depends on how "buddy-buddy" you are with your managers. It has NOTHING to do with how well you perform or produce results. If you get on the bad side of someone above you, maybe because they're doing something they shouldn't be doing, (RLPM trying to vio;ate HR frat policies, for example) and you report them to HR, get ready to be fired. The upper echelons of management are all part of the "original" clique, and they protect each other pretty well.

Advice to Management

Your world will come crashing down someday, just wait and see.

8. "A terrible place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

No real reason. Perhaps as a starting job so that people may have a resume. They will hire almost anyone since they have such bad conditions for workers that they probably have people coming and going very often.

Cons

I can't think of many things about it that aren't a downside. The terrible music is looped over and over, and the cologne there smells terrible. I am very much a fragrance lover myself but the fragrance at A&F is just bad. So the environment itself is weak. The pay is awful, though I believe they have raised it since I worked there to 7.25 which is still next to nothing. Their clothes are just plain and boring, but that is only my opinion, so the discounts didn't help me, but they are there for those who would use them. Break was extremely short (I think 15 minutes paid or 30 unpaid for 4 hours of work. I can't remember). All in all one of the worst experiences I've had.

Advice to Management

Get a new job.

"ANF heart of stone."

Current Employee - JANITORIAL/CLEANER in New York, NY
    Current Employee - JANITORIAL/CLEANER in New York, NY

Pros

at first it was a pretty good place to work, i was hired after ANF fired their contract maintenance crew so they were desperate for cleaners. but after they saw that their little experiment worked they started to tighten the knot, they started by lowering the salary rate for newer workers, then when we got our (10-35 cent and hour )increase, they began to cut an hour a day from work. after that they started cutting days. this year, know one is getting a salary increase do to the economy, yet they continue to hire new people for all departments.

Cons

i heard that a few years ago ANF lost a law suit cause of racism. they store's 95% managerial staff is white. the cleaning crew is 95% Hispanic, followed by african americans. they hold little to no respect for the cleaning staff. look at us as sub-standard workers. the senior management shows no care for the workers, if someone is sick and calls out on a schedule work day they get a write-up, even if they bring a doctors note. there is no chance for growth no chance for full time, no chance for salary increase. excellent performance is rewarded with more work. every week they seem to be tightening up the screws to force us out. Once a month mike jeffries comes to the store. and everyone is force to hide and leave the floor so he doesnt see us. this is no lie or exaggeration, this can be confirm by all employees, he doesnt take the time to meet the back bone of the company. only meets/greets the high ranking members.

Advice to Management

just because a person cleans toilets and picks up trash doesn't make him an illiterate fool. cleaning the store is a vital part of the day to day role of the store.

"I would not recommend this company upon my worst enemy"

Former Employee - Model
    Former Employee - Model

Pros

You work for a company that others consider to be "hip"
    The title of your position is "model"

Cons

Pay is minimum wage and almost no chance of getting a raise
    No hours - I got 4 hours a week if I was lucky
    Call-in shifts (about 2-3 a week) - you have to call in an hour before a shift you are scheduled for, only for them to tell you that they don't need you
    Having to wear their clothes in only certain colors and styles, which both change often so you are constantly having to buy new clothes from them
    All the restrictions on how you must look - from your hair, makeup, nails, weight, clothing, etc.
    Managers' attitudes and lack of respect for employees and customers

Advice to Management

Pay more (but I know that will never happen)
    Lower prices (which I also know will never happen)
    Less strict look policy
    Respect your employees
    From being on the inside of this company for a few years now, I can see why there is so much controversy around it. I can see it going out of business soon because of their horrible policies.

"Retail hell!"

Current Employee - Model
    Current Employee - Model

Pros

30% employee discount and 50% discount on certain items at specific times of the year. Fun to meet new and interesting people. Good music.

Cons

Incompetent managers, no room for promotions, horrible pay. Being a model includes dealing with bratty kids and their annoying mothers, boosters, tag switchers, and getting drenched in clouds of perfume. Customers complain way too much, and expect models to change store policies when we don't have the power to do so. Also, models have to clean the bathrooms every week. Models = janitors. Gross.

Advice to Management

Get a new job because you're horrible at this one. Or take that stick out of your rear and remember that you aren't that special.

Showing 4,318 of 4,354 reviews