Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur Martinez

4,312 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Abercrombie should continue to work on helping associates have a better work-life balance (in 156 reviews)

• Either hire a separate over-night team for floor sets or pay the associates more money than minimum wage to work until 4am on weeknights (in 407 reviews)

1. "Good location, bad company guidelines"

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

My particular location hired some of the greatest employees I would ever get to know. They made the store a much better place than corporate could ever think of.

Cons

Some corporate rules are intrusive to employees and managers. Limits what can be done at a typical retail store.

2. "only good if youre a student"

Former Employee - Brand Representative in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Brand Representative in Towson, MD

Pros

easy scheduling
    flexible
    cool environment
    fellow sales associates

Cons

pay
    hours
    no way to move up

3. "Not Happy"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my employees and floorsets.

Cons

Treats their employees terrible (anything below Store Manager). Said that you can work your way to the top. That's a lie because I know of no one that worked there way up.

Advice to Management

Upper management were snobs and picked favorites.

5. "This is not a smart career move."

Pros

The benefits are great and it is a great introduction into management.

Cons

Everyone is under paid. For individuals just graduating from college, you may jump at the opportunity to be a manager here. However, please do not stay here more than a year. There are so many other opportunities for career advancement that will pay you what you are worth.

Advice to Management

Training and development really help.

6. "Anonymous"

Pros

Good benefits, good promotions for employees

Cons

- Long working hours, overtime, overnight hours
    - Managers are not supportive
    - No holidays, no weekends
    - They try cutting people's hours, even full-time employees

7. "Impact Team"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch (Less than a year)

Pros

The working hours were very flexible schedules. It was easy to pick up somebody's else shift.

Cons

Pay was relatively low and they did not allow you to go over 32 hours per week so that limited your salary.

8. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Riverhead, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great first job out of college. You truly get to know your associates and co managers and I look forward to coming into work each day. Although the hours are that of retail hours and it can be challenging at times (for example - on busy days when one or more of your associates calls out) it really is a great environment.

There is much to learn and lots of opportunity to continue growing and moving up within the company as time goes on. You also get to build relationships with the District Manager, Regional Manager, and Asset Protection team, all of who play a vital role in ensuring our company's success. The beginning salary is on the lower end as far as how salary goes for jobs requiring a Bachelor's degree, but in only a few short months my pay has already increased.

Coming from someone who was very involved in college and was an active leader in multiple clubs and organizations I have truly enjoyed getting to hold another leadership position, where I am able to work with others and implement ideas we have in order to better operate our store.

In addition, health benefits, vacation time, and paid time off (PTO) are all included in what you receive for being a manager, not to mention that Abercrombie is all over the world, which leads for potential opportunity to work in other states / countries down the road.

Cons

- The hours are that of retail
    - Can be challenging at times if one or more of your associates calls out / does not show up and it is a busier day
    - Having to remain smiley / happy at all times to all costumers... even the one's who may ask you a million different questions that can often times be answered simply by actually looking through the clothes to check for a size instead of just asking the first person they see (this really isn't so bad, it just gets frustrating when it's a super busy day and you have a costumer call you over from doing something to ask you to find something that if they literally just used their eyes would have found themselves). But I digress.

Advice to Management

My only advise to upper management would be to take more note of the managers who are going above and beyond on a day to day basis and ensure that they know their efforts are not going unnoticed / unappreciated. As someone who often feels this is what happens to myself here, it can make you begin to question what the point is in expressing more of your ideas for betting the store / finances / productivity when at the end of the day I might have pages filled with what I believe to be good ideas.

9. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Flexible hours, store discount, friendly environment and high energy

Cons

Type cast by which department you were placed in

Advice to Management

Have more people staffed to assist with fitting rooms.

10. "Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, great if you're a student. Not physically hard labor or anything.

Cons

Racism. When the former CEO would come do rounds in each mall, all of the minorities would have to stay in the back. No raises, not even a 5 cent raise after over a year of working there. I was practically training people.

Advice to Management

Do better, and don't hit on employees all the time.

11. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

Can meet great people, discounts on clothing.

Cons

Horrible upper management. You work overtime and don't get compensated for it. Opportunity for promotion takes forever no matter how well you do. Company is really based off looks.

Showing 4,312 of 4,348 reviews