Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur Martinez

1,743 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Abercrombie should continue to work on helping associates have a better work-life balance (in 155 reviews)

• Either hire a separate over-night team for floor sets or pay the associates more money than minimum wage to work until 4am on weeknights (in 406 reviews)

1. "chill"

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

you can wear whatever you want and flexible hours

Cons

low pay and no commision

2. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on training and ability to manage all aspects of the business

Cons

high turnover rate, low pay

3. "It's gotten a lot better"

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

Schedule flexibility for those in school
    Employee discounts

Cons

Minimum wage
    Aggressive managers
    Shoplifitng is crazy

Advice to Management

It's not always about the sales, it's about the customer's experience

5. "Laid back, great place to work"

Current Employee - Brand Representative/Stock Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Representative/Stock Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made many friends with co workers here, has a laid back environment, and is a fairly easy job. For part time shift all shifts are pretty set, meaning they are either 4-6 hours per day.

Cons

Many times I've been asked to stay over my shift time which isn't usually a problem, but it has been a problem when I have had something I needed to do. Also management says they will post the final schedule on Fridays, but they still make changes to it days later and people are unaware that they added new shifts to their schedules and miss their shifts because of it.

Advice to Management

Give out the set schedule on the date you say you will and don't add more shifts after that date without calling the employee first.

6. "no hours"

Current Employee - Brand Representative in Pooler, GA
    Current Employee - Brand Representative in Pooler, GA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, People, Clothes, Experience, Store

Cons

pay, hours, managers, some customers, management

7. "Store Manager"

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Structured and thorough manager training program. Great employee discount! (10 items 50% off/month). Learning how to manage large groups of people, working to their strengths, etc. Having the opportunity to run a large business. Easy job when provided with the right amount of hours. Can be a lot of fun if you choose to make it a happy environment for your part time staff. Flexible schedules, paid time off, good health benefits (vision sucks though.) Fun when at a larger fast-paced store.

I love my staff and assistant managers, and admire my District and Regional managers. We have created a fun and easy environment for our part time staff, which makes coming to work enjoyable. This job is great if your District Manager and Regional Manager work well together and give you productive feedback on a semi-regular basis, and are able to see "the big picture." The last few RMs I've had really care about what's happening in stores and have made effective changes. Abercrombie & Fitch is making great strides with their brand image and their in-store experiences. It's a very exciting time to work for this company.

Cons

Abercrombie boasts a lot about "internal promotion" upon hire, but once you're at the store manager level, getting to home office is practically impossible. There is not a lot of opportunity to promote out of store level, and it's painfully slow. The "amazing home office culture" doesn't trickle down to in-store at all. There isn't a break area. Pay is horrible, significantly below the industry average but still requires a 4 year bachelor's degree. They lose a lot of great part time and full time staff to crappy pay.

Advice to Management

While A&F is making a lot of exciting changes, the disconnect between home office and brick and mortar is growing. They just send us more and more papers to read and things to fill out instead of breaking things down and rebuilding them to be cohesive, interesting, and easy to understand.

You have high expectations for customer experience, yet provide one hour for new hire orientation and no hours for training. Home Office seems like they want stores to have the same culture as a cool young tech company, but the difference between A&F and a cool tech company is employee value, not just motivation to make money. Happy employees will perform to the expectations you’re setting. How do you expect everyone to be happy working in stores when we don’t feel valued? We don’t even have chairs to sit in during breaks! You need to recruit internally so you have a better grasp on where problems actually lie and how to realistically accomplish them.

8. "Fun but underfunded"

Pros

Exciting work atmosphere, close knit group of employees.

Cons

Low end compensation, hard to move up unless willing to relocate.

9. "Actually Embrace Change"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Work/ Life balance. You will never be asked to work over 40 hours a week and its not too hard to get certain day off. The discount is pretty decent. They offer great benefits and you get two week of PTO to use through the year and It really comes in handy.

Cons

Lower pay, but its not that bad for what they ask you to do. Must have a 4 year degree to be management, which is the only full time position that is worth it. There is a full time stock position, but its only a dollar over minimum wage so its not worth it. Also they company has changed a lot and for the better, but they are still working on a lot of stuff so it can be a bumpy ride with upper management. Last but not least, they only hire at 18 for part-time, but pay minimum wage so most college students can't afford to work there and it makes for a really high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Up your pay a little to be more competitive so the associates that work for you actually feel valued. There are a lot of people that have stuck with you because it is a fun work environment, but its hard to work for so little so you lose some of your best workers. Also remove the four year degree for the MIT program. There are so many associates and FTS that could step into a MIT role, but they never get the chance because of the degree. No other retailers ask for degrees so you are really losing out on so strong manager candidates that actually have a solid amount of retail experience.

10. "great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

was a nyc experience learnt a lot

Cons

cant say anythng about company

Advice to Management

good corporate exposure by company

11. "Recognizable brand but you're expected to do a lot"

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

Friendly team, evolving brand, good discount

Cons

Low pay compared to competitors, work environment depends on upper management's work ethic, no set schedule, crazy hours when floorset comes around, no sick days just PTO days

Showing 1,743 of 4,295 reviews