Abercrombie & Fitch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4,497 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not a thing with this company (in 166 reviews)

• It pays minimum wage which is hard to make any decent amount of money (in 422 reviews)

1. "Poor Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

The company provides excellent health care and benefits for its employees and most of my co workers were great people that I enjoyed working with.

Cons

My experience with management has been very poor. I was intentionally mislead during my interview process and several other times during my career with A & F. The job itself is extremely monotonous and there is very little incentive to perform well. A & F touts performance based promotion from within; however, in my experience I have seen something much different. Promotions I have witnessed tend to go to people with seniority that have formed a bond with their superiors regardless of their performance. I strongly suggest that you speak at length with someone within the company before you take this position.

Advice to Management

Become more flexible, accept feedback from employees. Be much more transparent. I was frequently moved from position to position without explanation. Certainly some of this was my fault for not requesting an explanation, but the company needs to focus on eliminating deceit and corruption.

2. "Run away!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

The discount is good and the job can be fun with the "right" manager.

Cons

Long hours standing around doing absolutely nothing. On days when store traffic is low, they normally schedule too many employees. They have "fixing" tables and walls that are perfect for no reason at all. You have to get there extremely early to clean the store that people who closed, stay late have already done.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the sales reps and don't talk down to them. Most of us are college kids just trying to get by. Don't schedule too many people, that way we don't end up standing around for 6 hours doing absolutely nothing.

3. "Abercrombie and Fitch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

my coworkers have become some of my best friends. without them, i certainly would not have stayed with this job as long as i did.

Cons

terrible pay.
    hiring and promotion based on good looks and kissing ass.
    upper level management is a nightmare to deal with.
    discount is terrible.
    having to maintain the "look" keeps you as poor as you were before you took the job.

Advice to Management

quit.

"Not for most"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Benefits and working alongside attractive co workers are about the only two things that are worth working for this company

Cons

Awful trickle down management style, poor performance reviews, incredibly biased hiring practices, most senior managers have terrible tact when attempting to redirect someones struggling performance issues, inept when it comes to business strategies and selling practices are most district managers, micro managed by at least three different bosses on any given day

the people who are complacent with this job have the following to say in defense "well you have to get up and get dressed for work everyday, i get to wear flip flops and jeans to work and hang out with hot people."

Advice to Management

Promote managers based on associate feedback as well as retention and turnover percentages. If a DM has held a 200% manager turnover rate then that person is probably unpleasant to work with and for. Promoting people with reputations like this sets a bad example for managers looking for long term employment with the company. It would behoove the company to take a more active role in caring about a work/personal life balance in it's full time associates to ensure employee satisfaction. Most associates are under paid and over worked at this company and all that shows for it is constant weight loss due to overnight shifts during holidays, inept assistants that other managers have to pull the weight for and district managers that can barely make a conference call on time much less manage three high volume cross branded malls.

5. "WTF"

Former Employee - Impactor in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Impactor in Aventura, FL

Pros

i took long breaks without the mangers knowing
    time and a half on holidays

Cons

no hours no hours and no hours

Advice to Management

stop hiring people

6. "Horrible place"

Former Employee - Allocation Associate in New Albany, OH
    Former Employee - Allocation Associate in New Albany, OH

Pros

It would seem to be a cool place to work directly out of college, due to the young average age of the employees there.

Cons

it is like a boot camp - techno music playing on a loop, old outdated systems that you use at work, loooooooong hours and no work//life balance.

Advice to Management

stop being such a cult that only does what the almighty mike jefferies tells it to do. work on balance for employees

"Wouldn't go back"

Former Employee - Visual Manager in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Manager in Bellingham, WA

Pros

The atmosphere is fun and I meet some of my closest friends here, it's a good starting point to learn about managing employees.

Cons

I basically had no life working here, over time was a given and I wasn't even paid time and a half for extra hours...I was paid half-pay instead!

Advice to Management

Value your employee's balance between life and work, and understand that hiring quality employees will take you further in the long run than hiring hot ones.

"Lowest Point in My Career"

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Roanoke, VA

Pros

The pay for a recently graduated college student with little or no experience is "okay"
    There is a high turnover rate, so opportunity to get promoted is high (Mainly if willing to relocate)

Cons

Not all Hollister's will have the same experience. As with any employer, it depends largely on your supervisors/ co-workers. My experience consisted largely off a Store Manager, with decent skills in running the business herself (with the exception of scheduling!) giving little, if any, coaching to its MIT's. Also, feedback was non-existent, except for the petty complaints to the high-school associates--only rarely hearing of myself, but hearing about rants talking of how all of the other MIT's were completely incompetent, greatly undermining their authority.

HOURS ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!
    You have to come in far beyond hours (especially if you are a visual manager- 6AM) and your closing will be there until at least 11PM, minimum, later if your a high volume store.

Advice to Management

It depends largely on the person.
    Please!.. If you hate your job, don't take it out on your subordinates.

9. "Terrible place of employment"

Former Employee - Impact Team Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Impact Team Member in New York, NY

Pros

Discounts on close are 20%

Cons

Treats impact employees with no respect. The models get all the respect.

Advice to Management

Learn to teach your managers to treat everyone with equal respect.

10. "Waste of my time"

Former Employee - Model in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Model in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You'll meet some pretty chill people.
    Good music sometimes

Cons

The company doesn't care at ALL about their employees! They really couldn't care less that you are quitting bc they'll just recruit a replacement the next day. I honestly havent the slightest clue as to how this company is still existent based on the fact that they have a ridiculously high turnover rate and no employee stays long enough to actually learn something. thats why the "models" seem so incompetent when you ask them a question about their merchandise, bc in most cases they havent even been there long enough to know everything they need to about the store and they will quit/be fired before they know half the amount they need to. Management doesn't care about this bc they themselves wont be there for very long.

and training... its a joke. honestly, 3 hrs long? how could you possibly learn about a retail store in only 3 hrs?

I gained absolutely nothing from this experience and i wish i had spent my time at another job where i wouldnt be dealing with incompetent, careless, immature people all day.

Advice to Management

I dont even know where to start. maybe... grow up?

Showing 4,497 of 4,539 reviews