Abercrombie & Fitch Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Fran Horowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not a thing with this company (in 169 reviews)

• It pays minimum wage which is hard to make any decent amount of money (in 424 reviews)

1. "Great place to get management experience"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Set schedule, get to wear fashionable clothes to work, decent discount

Cons

low pay, always work on holidays, work-life balance is terrible, not much room for advancement after store manager

2. "Great employee discount, awful pay and hours"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun laid back atmosphere when working with a good staff. Great health insurance. Ideal first job out of college if you enjoy retail.

Cons

8 hour days listening to the same playlist on repeat got very agitating. You are expected to do very tedious tasks in very little time. For the amount of work you do the pay I do not think is ideal.

"Great people, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE COMPANY"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet are awesome. Benefits are okay. You never take work home with you, which is nice. That's about it.

Cons

This is coming from someone who worked in stores that were at the top of their district in multiple areas. I worked hard, and did good work. Here goes....

Working here was terrible. Work/life balance is non-existent. I've worked 7, 8, 9 day work weeks because of how they can schedule your days off. I know of someone who worked 2 weeks straight with no days off. This is UNACCEPTABLE, not to mention ILLEGAL (with recent laws passing in some states). If you want to take days off/vacation time be prepared to cause someone else a whole lot of stress. Hours are constantly being cut, so that managers are FORCED to work as associates (Last time I checked, working a register didn't require a college degree). Company policy/procedures are constantly changing, oftentimes putting more stress on managers then actually being efficient.

Corporate screw ups force ground-level employees to have to explain what's going on to customers, even though corporate doesn't fully explain what is going on to its employees. Also, they make stores put out confusing marketing more often then not, again forcing ground-level employees to deal with the customer backlash.

Stores can't do anything without jumping through hoops with corporate. For 2 WEEKS our stores ran on dial-up level internet connection. Forcing us (those in the customer facing role) to have to deal with the situation. Some transactions took 20 minutes to complete. This is NOT an exaggeration. We couldn't hit sales goals because of this, but their screw up still counts AGAINST the performance of our store. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

They care very little about their employees and their professional development. I even heard some of upper management try to find a way to get one of the other assistant managers fired. You will get no respect as an assistant manager or below. Only store managers and up are valued in this company. How about instead of outing low performing employees, you actually develop them professionally? Food for thought. Also, although you meet great people, gossip and immaturity run rampant thru the company. Seriously, I've never worked at a more unprofessional place (although the relaxed environment can be a big plus). People are constantly talking about others, most of the time it's right behind their back.

The associates are underpaid, are given little hours, and favoritism almost always comes into play. Because of this, associate turnover is incredibly high, which puts stress on managers to recruit. If you don't hit your recruitment goals, DMs will threaten you with write-ups. Even though your recruitment efforts are given little support.

You'll spend most of your days folding clothes, dealing with angry customers, and completing corporate tasks that are completely useless. And the pay? Laughable at best. You're promised a salaried position, but are actually hourly. Managers get in trouble if they don't hit their 40hrs, even though they claim you are "salaried". And taxes take out the majority of your paycheck, so you're actually making significantly less then what you were originally promised/presented with. This goes the same for bonuses, I barely saw a difference in my paycheck after a bonus, even though our store beat our goals 2 quarters in a row.

Also, upper-management love to micromanage. Oftentimes forcing managers to work longer hours in order to take "conference calls" (which are completely useless). And even forces managers and employees to stay for longer hours, despite their being no projects to be done. The disconnect between upper management and floor-level employees is absolutely ridiculous!

I could write an entire novel about the problems with this company, but I'll leave it at that.

Advice to Management

Why not I don't know.... ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES! I'd say that's a good place to start.

4. "Upper Management good but inconsistent"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Harrison, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Harrison, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Everyone very easy to get along with and a fantastic job right out of college to gain managerial experience.

Cons

District managers change often (on average every year or so) so you have to learn they're new way of doing things and how they like their stores run differently from the last district manager.

Advice to Management

Place more value on time put into the company and have more of a structured and uniform standard for stores so even if your district manager changes the expectation is the same.

5. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Grapevine, TX

Pros

The team is strong and fun to work with. They are responsible and try to make the environment fun and engaging for everyone.

Cons

The pay even for management is below what other similar retailers pay. The work/life balance is extremely off. They expect a lot in return for very little. Company standards for some procedures are unrealistic.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great bouncing back. Just be more considerate of employees who already work hard and not ask for more.

6. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could be fun. Opportunity to learn if you take it.

Cons

Terrible culture. Short sighted. Not accepting of change.

Advice to Management

Realize talent.

7. "Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really good about this place.

Cons

Terrible hours, pay, no work-life balance

Advice to Management

Don't be so stuck up and actually help your employees succeed.

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and management, ability for upward movement

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling which makes it difficult to plan ahead.

Advice to Management

Have a permanent days and evening shift for management

9. "Honestly, it's not bad like people think"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The path the company is going. the outdoors-y, traditional values. The charities they support. It's not like the old abercrombie, you're hired based on talent and personality not looks.

Cons

Pay could be more for full-time and especially part-time

10. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on training and ability to manage all aspects of the business

Cons

high turnover rate, low pay