Abercrombie & Fitch Visual Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur Martinez
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Abercrombie should continue to work on helping associates have a better work-life balance (in 155 reviews)

• Either hire a separate over-night team for floor sets or pay the associates more money than minimum wage to work until 4am on weeknights (in 406 reviews)

1. "Great People, Disconnected Upper Management"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day to day work is not difficult at all. As an assistant manager I was essentially babysitting college kids and trying to get them to develop some sort of work ethic. Having said that, I did meet some amazing people and had some amazing people on staff that will be my friends for life. The culture is a huge positive. The discount is a nice benefit since you have to wear the clothes, but the best thing as a manager were the benefits. Companies that I've worked with after have not been able to match their low insurance cost.

Cons

Upper management is sometimes very disconnected. I do understand this though, corporate spots are limited, so Then on petition amongst DMs to rise up is hard.

Advice to Management

Don't promise promotions to motivate staff. Instead, really focus on training and development. Scare tactics and write ups for silky reasons are not motivating. Managers do not need to be micro managed the same way part timers are. The drama amongst DMs and the gossip throughout districts is what drives employees away.

2. "Visual Manager"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young co-workers, learning management skills at an early age, good healthcare benefits

Cons

Low pay, long hours, poor company morals and values.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. If you expect your managers to have Bachelor degrees, respect them and pay them accordingly.

3. "Decent Last Resort"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Stamford, CT

Pros

It's pretty laid back on a slow day when your DM isn't around. You're your own boss for the most part. The people are pretty awesome.

Cons

The salary is abysmal for the amount of work you can get on high volume seasons. They expect you to reach some pretty unobtainable goals at times.

5. "It's a lifestyle brand that becomes your life."

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time of employment, the benefits were great compared to other employers I had after working for A&F. Networking was a big thing. Got to meet a lot of people. Upper level micromanaging of every store helped run each store uniformly so that transferring from store to store was easy.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best compared to other retailers. (I was told the benefits make up for it, yea only if you take advantage of it)

6. "Good job out of college"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Rockford, IL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good insurance
    learn about the retail world
    you can get promoted quickly since turnover is high
    People were fun to work with

Cons

Pay is not great
    long hours
    recruiting employees

Advice to Management

pay management more if you want them to stay and it will increase performance of your store. American Eagle managers were making almost 10K more a year.

7. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Portland, ME

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a full time job if you are within what they deem good looking, and you may get to travel some within your district to help with other stores.

Cons

You will have no life unless you can manage to completely not care about the store and what upper management has to say. They will make you work without breaks, and then put breaks in later in order to seem within the law. They will tell you to work on your only day off because there is going to be a corporate visit, and then no one will show up. It is essentially a bunch of mind games they play in order to have stores strive for their outrageous standards. Only working on a good staff makes working for them tolerable for any period of time.

Advice to Management

Understand what is a reasonable request, and what is pushing your workers over the edge. Because the company is suffering, reduce jobs at the corporate level instead of forcing the stores to work way beyond reasonable limits on a skeleton staff.

"The worse place to work."

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Huntington, NY

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros.
    Well, I suppose they pay you on time....depending that your manager isn't committing time fraud.
    Good benefits, but I suspect those are pretty bad too now.

Cons

Everything.
    I've seen a Lost Prevention associate steal silver quarters out of a safe.
    Horrid company culture---every bad thing you've heard/read is true and it gets much worse.
    And.. the pay is terrible. I was an idiot to stay on for as long as I did to think it will get better.

Do not walk, RUN away from this dishonest, disreputable company.

Advice to Management

You're terrible.
    Horrible attitude from management toward staff..
    Management lack skills to manage.
    The company is losing money and consumer confidence. There is a reason why.

9. "Fun but grueling"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a fun work environment with young, energetic employees. In addition, you are able to travel around the city to recruit individuals as store employees.

Cons

The work schedule is grueling and inconsistent. Often times managers are required to work longer than normal hours, and your work schedule changes each week. Also, the pay is considerably lower, compared to other retail companies.

Advice to Management

In order to prevent such a high employee turnover rate, allow for more of a work-life balance by reducing work hours and setting a consistent work schedule. Also, value the employees by increasing the pay.

10. "Great Energy"

Former Employee - Assistant Visual Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Visual Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of great energy in the store - "clubby" music (I liked it anyway), fun associates and fellow managers, stylish products. It was a fun place to work post-college despite all of the haters and controversy. I had an AMAZING GM at my first store (Hollister) and I absolutely loved my job for the first 6 months. If you have the right associates and managers at your store, it can really make a huge difference!

Cons

I worked there when retail really started to suffer, so there was a ton of poorly executed downsizing and advancement opportunities seemed to disappear overnight. Pay was barely sufficient but other benefits were alright.

Advice to Management

I've worked in retail most of my life, and I wish companies would figure out a better system to rotate schedules so you didn't have to work EVERY weekend of EVERY month. Also, please don't count Friday as a "weekend" day - it definitely is not - making your managers work Saturday AND Sunday is not fair or necessary.

11. "A&F VAM"

Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Visual Assistant Manager in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with employees. Learned more about management of a retail store.

Cons

Promotions are not based on how much you are liked by your managers.