KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Abercrombie & Fitch

Is this your company?

Abercrombie & Fitch

Add a Review

Abercrombie & Fitch Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 519 of over 7K reviews

3.7
Abercrombie & Fitch Chief Executive Officer Fran Horowitz
Fran Horowitz
Pros
  • "Great people and work environment(in 403 reviews)

• "flexible hours (great for college students)(in 331 reviews)

• Cons
  • "We were paid minimum wage and there was barely any training(in 520 reviews)

• "Long Hours Depending On Your Team(in 248 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Abercrombie & Fitch and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company

Dec 21, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company for part time position

Cons

No cons. Minimum wage job for high school student or early college

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience, pay was awful

Aug 17, 2020 - Brand Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

It really teaches you how to interact with people which is such a valuable quality when looking for other jobs in the future. I worked in a touristy area so I also learned a lot about de-escalating conflict which is also very valuable. I really liked my management, they were very organized and helpful. My managers were also pretty understanding when it came to call-outs which is pretty surprising.

Cons

The pay is just awful. Minimum wage sucks so badly and I knew I couldn't be promoted (I'm a seasonal employee and had discussed it with my managers) which is fine but you can only get a pay increase with a promotion. If the managers like you, you do SO much for very little pay which is frustrating at times. I would work 30+ hour work weeks last year and the paycheck was just depressing.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Could’ve been worse.

Jan 5, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Roseville, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked part time for A&F for few years and then after I graduated college, I took a position as an Assistant Manager because I figured it was a good stepping stone until I found something else. Overall, it had good perks: decent pay, good benefits, vacation days and discounts. I enjoyed most of the two years I worked as an AM but working retail full time really has a toll on your soul. The day-to-day isn’t too insufferable, you have a lot of freedom and not a lot of effort is needed once you know all the shortcuts. As a company, they are really organized and there is no unnecessary paperwork or meetings. The overall environment is pretty casual but it can be unprofessional, though I really enjoyed how casual it was. I made some great friends as employees and still keep in touch to this day. Another pro I guess would be that we weren’t pushed TOO hard to make sales. Maybe I worked in a store that wasn’t struggling as much as other locations but we mostly made our sales goals daily and when we didn’t, we were not reamed or pressured that much as Assistant Managers. But because we didn’t work on commissions and we weren’t pressured for sales, it was hard to care whether or not we made our goals.

Cons

Now for the bad, schedules! There was a “mandatory” schedule the manager team must follow, with the Store Manger having a set schedule and the other AMs rotating a few different schedules. This usually wasn’t followed except for the cases it was in the interest of the Store Manager in some way. The SM makes the schedule so if he/she was mad at you, you’d know it when you were working the closing shift four Saturdays in a row! I did like how it was pretty flexible requesting days off, but you were made to feel guilty for asking for weekends off. The next con would be the staffing cuts. Over the years the company has cut the staffing hours very drastically. Of course I understand the retail market is not doing so well in today’s age but it was extremely difficult making sales and customers happy with hardly any coverage. Especially since these part time associates were making minimum wage, it didn’t make sense to cut their hours when the money saved was minimal. During the week (M-Th), you’d only have 1 part time associate working with you and other managers at a time and it would be frustrating handling managerial duties as well as cash wrap duties or floor supervisor duties. Additionally, they were still upholding the antiquated “stock” and “brand reps” employees when I left. These two different types of employees were hardly even cross trained, which, in my opinion, would hurt our business drastically. For example, we never had stock hours during slow periods, so the few stock associates we had would quit and we would be left struggling even though we had plenty of brand reps but they were not trained to do the stock job. Additionally, every month or so there are “floor sets” or “updates.” This is when we would update the location of all the merchandise and implement new merchandise on the floor. These are scheduled until 2-4AM. You are expected to do a lot in those short hours and there’s many times I would leave even later in order to finish everything. Of course it wouldn’t help that we had a lot of hours to fill during these sets but never any stock associates on staff! The visits from the district manager and regional manager were also hell and super annoying. You were expected to be dressed head to toe in all the newest A&F merchandise and expected to know all the sales metrics. Upper management would point at a top and I was expected to know when it was put in the floor, how many we’ve sold in the past two weeks, how many are in the stock room, why it was selling and why it wasn’t selling. I would have had no problem knowing these if I wasn’t expected to be a cashier all day while the SM sat in the back office “making the schedule” all week. All in all, this was a few years ago and I do look back on it with some fondness but most of issues I had could’ve been better with a more competent store manager.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Big Talk, Lil Walk

Nov 7, 2020 - Brand Representative in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

great discount on clothes, met some incredible people and made long term friends

Cons

some managers would expect more than what was realistic (was once berated for not completing the work of two employees out sick, once tried to call out sick myself and was told I would be written if I did come in, and once I was in I was written up for having strep on the sales floor as if I hadn't told them), horrible pay: was paid minimum the entire five years I worked at the company, always reduced to the lowest wage depending on the locality, even had to pay for parking at one mall and was not compensated additionally for that, it came out of my minimum wage paycheck

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great work for high school students

Jan 24, 2021 - Brand Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Scheduling was really flexible and the managers were nice

Cons

We were paid minimum wage and there was barely any training

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

LOVED IT

Jan 5, 2021 - Model/Brand Representative in Robinson, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing The environment is so fun You're surrounded by gorgeous clothes day in and day out

Cons

Salary is minimum wage and hours range between 4-6 per shift

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Brand Representative Review

Jan 3, 2021 - Brand Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've met some lifelong friends working there. Decent employee discount.

Cons

Minimum wage. Besides the employee discount, there aren't many other benefits or incentives.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Minimum Wage

Nov 4, 2020 - Sales Associate in San Juan, PR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work ambient and nice management.

Cons

The minimum wage is not enough payment because we do shifts that include tasks and sales.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great!

Oct 16, 2020 - Brand Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love working here, friendly co workers and manger

Cons

Low minimum wage pay unless keyholder or manager

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome managers

Dec 13, 2020 - Brand Representative in Sunrise, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice managers, great retail experience

Cons

Hours, Minimum wage, No breaks

Viewing 1 - 10 of 519 Reviews