KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Aberdeen Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

Found 111 of over 115 reviews

3.4
Aberdeen CEO Marc Osofsky (no image)
Marc Osofsky
Pros
  • "friendly staff, good work life balance(in 14 reviews)

• "The company clearly hires great people because I enjoyed everyone that I worked with directly on projects(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At least two more years till this place is functional if Harte-Hanks doesn't dump it first(in 8 reviews)

• "confusing relationship with parent company(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

lifeguard

Jun 18, 2020 - Lifeguard
      Business Outlook

Pros

fun exciting wonderful crazy environment

Cons

boring, lack of staffing, long hours

2. 1.0

Toxic Work Enviornment

Mar 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In a sea of trash people that worked at Aberdeen, there were a few great ones

Cons

No HR department, sexual harassment was swept under the rug even after multiple people reported it, management was manipulative and unorganized, having lunch or outings at Jake n Joe's was their "company culture", lack of empathy for its employees, and zero values besides making a profit. Working at Aberdeen you feel: uncomfortable, unappreciated, and undervalued.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Good Experience

Feb 18, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, smart people, career path

Cons

Corporate direction, new product launch too premature

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Experience Working at Aberdeen!

Jan 23, 2020 - Data Analyst in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with room for growth! I interned there in college and then was hired on as a part time Data Analyst once I graduated. They even let me work remote when I moved and could no longer come into the office. They also paid me very fairly, but most importantly, my boss taught me so much. She was a great mentor and I now consider her a good friend. The company clearly hires great people because I enjoyed everyone that I worked with directly on projects. Overall, it was a great first job and I am so lucky to have had it!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons!

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great team, vision, and office culture

May 28, 2020 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great supportive staff, flexible schedules, relaxed but get stuff done attitude.

Cons

Disorganization and communication-- with the number of international offices, people working from home, different positions, it gets a bit chaotic.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nope

Nov 10, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a few good people in the midst, but they're often the ones reporting to someone higher up, without much control over the trajectory of the ill-fated decisions being made by management. Food sometimes?

Cons

The culture is a textbook example of how toxic leadership trickles down to the employees being hired. 90% of the directors have seemingly lucked their way into the position and have admitted openly to not having the credentials necessary to support their teams. More than 80% of the sales team doesn't know what any other department really does, nor do they care to learn. The vast majority of the analyst team are entitled and ego-driven. They expect the rest of the company to kneel at their feet and account managers to be fake and pleasant to everyone, but the second they leave the room they're spouting negativity and gossip, adding to the already toxic environment. A staggeringly high number of coworkers either quit or were laid off in such rapid succession that it was often more than 1 per month for nearly a year. I'm getting bored even talking about what a waste of time it was to work for such cookie-cutter, drivel-producing research machine that would drone on about how customers have the power and automation can solve your business problems. Everyone already knows that.

9 people found this review helpful

Aberdeen Response

Vice President, Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative working environment for all of our employees so I'm disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. As you may be aware, we have a new CEO and we have made great progress to ensure that we have a positive working environment.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A

Nov 13, 2019 - Research Associate in Waltham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work for work

Cons

Good opportunity for work now

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Company With So Much Potential

Apr 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product is definitely competitive.

Cons

Lack of resources if you're not part of the "in" crowd. The management works overtime cover themselves when things go wrong and will never take responsibility. Management will only protect people that they deem valuable. Non-deserving employees are rewarded. Whereas, deserving employees are not set up for success and are rarely recognized for their contribution to the success of the company.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Perfect Time to Join a Growing & Ambitious Firm

Nov 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-As listed in the comments, the new CEO brings significant potential and energy to the company. He's always available to help each employee succeed -Aberdeen has very strong brand recognition in the market. It's a global firm, and a name that you want on your resume if you work in tech -Continuously innovating to keep up with and lead the market intelligence market. The company has substantially enriched traditional analyst capabilities with bleeding-edge market intelligence services enabling marketing, sales and product executives to do their jobs in a truly data-driven manner. Regularly hiring to build and grow a savvy data science team -Flexible work environment. The Waltham office isn't in the ideal location for everyone - especially considering when most tech companies are relocating from the area to downtown Boston. That said, the company allows employees to work remotely. Remote work - as in all companies - requires that you're accessible and meet expected performance results. Expect to be in the office the first few months to get acclimated to the company culture and acquire the fundamental skills for your job -You set your own limits for success. You need to be a self-starter with the right work attitude and customer-centric mindset to succeed. Don't expect promotions or raises due to tenure. Aberdeen is a very results-driven workplace. That means you'll be rewarded when you work hard and smart to achieve your goals. -Constant mentoring available. While you're responsible for your own success, Aberdeen provides an environment where you can easily find and engage senior staff to seek coaching. -Highly recommend considering any negative reviews based on the above context. The most recent one complains that the company encourages a culture of hard work (grit) and notes that the customer service team is expected to be pleasant to customers and that internal subject-matter experts display confidence in their knowledge and skills. Those are fundamental elements of success in any firm. Aberdeen is the right place for you to grow and succeed if you're a talented hard-worker, driven by results and customer-centricity. If not, the technology market might not be the right one for you

Cons

-Need more meeting spaces in the office as employees sometimes struggle finding meeting rooms to have client calls without background noise -Need more investment in professional development and education of employees. While there's significant on the job learning for each role, there's limited access to professional training programs needed to grow skills over time

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Change is here! And it's GREAT!

May 6, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Aberdeen is a long standing company in the Boston area. They are known for their in-depth research and knowledgable analysts. I started a Aberdeen a few months ago and I can honestly say that I'm excited for what's happening at this company. The creative juices are free flowing now - the ability to affect the change of the company with small projects here and there is awesome. The shift in the environment from the "no, that's the way we always do it" to "oh, great idea! Let's try it!" is refreshing. Working collaboratively is greatly rewarded and folks are excited to get involved. The work life balance was also really important to me in my shift to a new organization. While the team at Aberdeen works hard, they also know it's ok to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

The idea of "this is how we used to do it" is still floating around and the team sometimes needs to get over the history of the old way. I'd say we could also use a few more company-provided snacks and maybe a bit more natural light in the office.

Aberdeen Response

President

Thank you for your positive comments, and for your optimism for our new vision and direction! It can seem difficult, as a company with 26 years of legacy, to adopt new ideas and move beyond the thinking of the past. However, as we evolve our business model and operating principles to encourage more agility, we are creating an environment in which change is not only happening – it is crucial. The recent progress that gets me excited to come to work each day is about bold new ideas, questioning "business as usual" and taking accountability to fix problems and apply creative solutions. It's this progress that will enable us to provide more, better and more impactful solutions for our readers and customers. I'm happy to explore whether we can move your desk closer to a window for more natural light. I can be reached at Andrew.Boyd@HarteHanks.com. As for company-provided snacks, I know this month's "snack shack" is fully stocked, with proceeds benefitting the Jimmy Fund. Enjoy!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 111 Reviews