Abertay University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Nigel Seaton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Admissions"

I have been working at Abertay University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, small, personal, quirky, games

Cons

too small sometimes, bulky, slow, ECR

Advice to Management

none

"A Happy Lecturer in Marketing"

Current Employee - Lecturer In Marketing in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer In Marketing in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Abertay University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive managers. It feels like a family.

Cons

A bit too much focus on teaching (vs research). Some might find this a plus.

Advice to Management

Be more demanding in terms of research output!

"Lacking in many fields"

Former Employee - IT Support in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Support in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Abertay University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High workload/number of users so always kept busy
    - Pleasant facilities to work in
    - Good working environment in certain teams
    - The ability to gain experience working in different areas/teams (to some extent)

Cons

- Inability to accept change and move away from outdated, prehistoric processes and systems
    - Managers unable to accept blame or responsibility for actions, always looking to pass the blame onto someone else.
    - Unachievable targets and requirements set for new candidates in interview situations
    - Very behind the times in terms of up-to date software
    - No communication throughout departments or even within teams, especially not from managers downwards
    - Very rude users at times when sending requests ( Academics with too high standards mostly)
    - Ridiculous purchases made for specific equipment for certain users which they are not capable of using, which provides more work and aggravation for Information Services.
    - Very low level of staffing in areas where it is sorely needed, but the University on a whole continues to employ unneeded incompetent workers in redundant job roles instead of replacing staff longs since gone in areas that need it most.
    - Very little training/staff development on offer
    - High members of the department are a complete recluse in their office, totally disconnected from the rest of the department, apart from senior managers and administrator staff
    - High levels of nepotism and favouritism throughout the establishment
    - Constant surveys taken regarding problems within the workplace, any and all changes requested/suggested are never implemented, yet year after year surveys are taken.

"Experience I don't wish it upon anyone"

I worked at Abertay University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location and easy for commuting.

Cons

I worked in the Business School for 1.5 years. It is by far the worst workplace I have ever had. Half of the staff do not have a PhD and do not know/wish to know anything about research and grants. They often felt threatened by research-oriented newcomers and did everything to make our lives difficult. The management is totally incompetent and overtly hostile; three Division Leaders in a row lacked any people's and technical skills; two of them got removed from the position, the third one is on his way, but for God sake, why are such people even hired in the first place?! The higher level leadership is also also totally lacking - any concerns are swiped under the carpet and people who expressed them - intimidated and shut down. The place feels completely hopeless for these reasons and many colleagues experiences constant stress and health issues as a result.

Advice to Management

Get a grip! with your inaction you are damaging the life and career of many of the capable staff members while those who have been around for decades play the system and pass blame while remaining mediocre. The quality of education offered to students is bad, and research rarely happens as little room is made for it and conducting research is not supported and valued as an activity (but not publishing is sanctioned, of course!). It is a workplace that sets good academics up for failure while letting underhanded mediocrity rule the game.

"Lecturer in food science and technology"

Current Employee - Lecturer in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Abertay University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly work environment, new exciting facilities.

Cons

not so much focused on the research, difficult to get grants. and sometimes too focused on making pleased complaining students

Advice to Management

need some more support for Lecturer and reserch

"Invisible"

I have been working at Abertay University full-time

Pros

Work life balance is the only pro there is to working at Abertay

Cons

Constantly ignored by management.
    Underpaid compared to similar institutions.
    Undervalued.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff and take their professional opinions on board. Don't be so narrow minded and selfish.

"Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Management Teaching Fellow in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Management Teaching Fellow in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Abertay University (Less than a year)

Pros

It was an interesting experience . I was able to learn how to teach effectively at an undergraduate level

Cons

I did not have that much support and was left to my own devices much of the time in planning the classes

Advice to Management

A bit more support would be helpful as well as a bit more structure in planning classes etc.

"Rubbish Place to work"

Former Employee - In the IT Department in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - In the IT Department in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Pros

very few, pension not too bad

Cons

Bad management, lack of training, poor culture

9. "Abertay, an empowering institution"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Abertay University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you show enthusiasm and commitment to your students Abertay allows you to thrive.
    Students respond positively to challenges because they know their input will have an impact on the institution.
    The curriculum develops organically depending on the needs of employers, students and academic environment.

Cons

The drawback of flexibility is the need to reinvent yourself and your courses permanently. I worked 15 years at Abertay and I don't think I ever taught the same modules year on year.
    You develop great attachment to your student groups, it is hard to see them move on.

Advice to Management

Flexibility allows you to move positively with the times, but it does have its casualties. Support is needed for those that can't move as fast.

10. "Fun, friendly, and moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Abertay University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Abertay is a flexible employer with a mixture of part-time and flexi-work options that allow people with commitments to work around them. We are on an upward path with student satisfaction improving year on year. Staff are friendly and committed to the students and supporting each other

Cons

Change has been a constant for the last few years but that it because we had a lot of legacy issues to address. Change isn't a knee jerk reaction to problems though

Advice to Management

The changes of the last few years have been for the good and I hope we can keep improving year on year but please continue to be mindful and caring of all your staff