Cover image for Abnormal Security

70 Comments

Tech

455.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Abnormal Security~3146005
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The culture here is amazing.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great leadership and broader vision.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Abnormal has some incredible people on our team with a wide range of experience.(in 16 reviews)
  • "down there is clarity on our mission, transparency across what and how we're doing, and the team is built of incredibly bright, capable, individuals who are hyper focused on contributing to our success.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Competitive comp package and great benefits(in 7 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work!

Dec 1, 2022 - Senior Technical Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced, and impactful work

Cons

Moving quickly has its downside

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A donkey that thinks it’s a unicorn

Nov 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive base pay Bonus program Values driven culture With so many people leaving, lots of good opportunities! In the lower ranks of the company you will find some of the truly smartest and nicest people you’ll ever have the pleasure of working with

Cons

The micromanagement by the founders is the worst I’ve ever seen in all my years working in startups. We hire the best and the brightest but then they get demoralized and leave after the founders over-rule them on everything. Very inexperienced upper management and it shows. The company only has ONE product. Those at the top (including exec-1s) are least likely to exhibit our values. The company has no long term strategy, but yet mgmt talks how Abnormal going to be the greatest cyber security firm ever. Inconsistent expense policies. Unless you came from Twitter, don’t bother applying to the technical teams. The place is a sweatshop, even by startup standards. The CEO’s involvement in all hiring decisions costs us great employees. Some of the lowest equity grants in the history of tech. If you’re looking to join a place with a lot of upside beyond your base and minuscule bonus, then don’t bother applying here.

12 people found this review helpful

Abnormal Security Response

Hey there, Thanks so much for leaving an honest review—we truly value your feedback. We’re sorry we didn’t get it right. As a rapidly-growing startup, we’re working hard to scale and iterate, and this can create rapidly shifting priorities. We recognize this does not come without challenges and frustrations. Our leadership team understands that hiring top talent is synonymous with success. In a high-growth startup, it’s sometimes hard to strike the right balance during the hiring process. We’re actively working on upleveling the recruiting team and investing in leadership development to support our rapid growth in a more sustainable way. We’re also committed to developing a better company-wide listening strategy and optimizing the ways we collect employee feedback so we are better equipped to address these concerns as they arise.

3. Join the Abnormal Security team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Cons sadly outweigh the few pros

Nov 30, 2022 - Detection Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Equity - Free healthcare - You get to work with some very talented people. - Abnormal is becoming a good name to have on the Resume. - Customers seem to like the product.

Cons

- for starters, we are drowning in work - not enough engineers. We have an insanely high number of things to do and not enough people to do them. - Morale is at a super low point right now unfortunately due to reasons listed. - Engineerings OKRs are now monthly. Who approved this? It sets us up to push out half baked changes that add to massive tech debt to hit goals. Which only hurt us in the long run. #velocity I guess. - Why are we hiring so many SALES people? Leadership, you have more product goals and yet we can’t get more engineers for the backlog of work we have now?! Why are you burning us out. - We have maybe 10 support people for our entire customer base? We haven’t scaled to support our customer base. - Engineering oftentimes has to get involved with customer issues which takes away from our already booked schedule. - What we tell customers is not always honest and transparent. - Divide between sales and engineering because everything has to be done NOW and it’s always a PRIORITY no matter the customer. - Sales “engineers” are not technical in nature meaning many do not troubleshoot on their own, there are exceptions. - I’m all for us doing a good job and happy to hear it, but can we please for the love of god stop throwing sales wins down our throat every work at town hall with sales patting themselves on the back. - bad WLB due to consistent work stress and trying to hit goals. - insanely driven SLA/Metrics, we live and die by these and it’s anxiety inducing.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not focused on the employee experience.

Oct 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Ambitious growth goals - Great product - Solid executive leadership - Flat, non-hierarchical orgs

Cons

- In-person team meetings eliminated for 3 consecutive quarters - shows where budget priorities lie. - Different working experience on the coasts (NYC, SF have offices with resources, other locations don't have any critical mass or office). - Best fit for people who want a totally virtual company

5 people found this review helpful

Abnormal Security Response

Hi there, Thanks so much for leaving an honest review—we truly value your feedback. We are doing our best to be good stewards of our resources right now given the macroeconomic circumstances we’re in by trying to strike the right balance between our in-person and virtual events. We understand it’s frustrating to not be able to meet with coworkers in-person, and we are committed to creating a sustainable, lasting, and engaging remote-first experience that fosters genuine connection no matter where in the world our people are located.

6. 5.0

Man I love this place!

Jul 19, 2022 - Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Where to start.....Great people, so much talent and leadership is so supportive and really know where we want to go as a company. I know its sounds funny but the product actually works!! In sales we have all sold something that we don't believe in, this is not the case here. Culture is so very important and you can see it from the CEO down through the ranks. If you want to be surrounded by great people with a winning attitude come join the Abnormal team.

Cons

Just simple growing pains but for a size of a company this size we are well ahead of where most start ups are. Enablement is amazing and the company really sets you up to win.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great product, great team, poor work-life balance

Aug 29, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teammates were highly skilled and motivated, and cared about building a good product. - Product itself seems great (customers all love it, it's ahead of the competition) and company is likely to go very far - It's a great place to work if you're really into cybersecurity. But if you're primarily into the engineering infrastructure/ML and are not interesting in cybersecurity, this might not be the best place.

Cons

- Poor work life balance (Very noisy on-call rotation, often would have to have slack convos about work on the weekends/evenings) - Engineers spend a lot of time putting out fires, talking to customers, and other non-IC work. Often had to explain to a sales engineer/account executive what to explain to the customer. - Very corporate culture (might be a pro to some). Lots of buzzwords, meetings for meetings' sake, etc.

2 people found this review helpful

Abnormal Security Response

Hey there, While we're disappointed that you didn't have a good experience here, we appreciate the feedback. Our company culture is extremely customer-obsessed, and it can be challenging to strike the right balance. We’re sorry we didn’t get it right this time, and we’re committed to taking actionable steps to improve going forward.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best team and company culture!!!

Mar 14, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been here about 6 months now and am amazed by this fast growing company! The leadership is really supportive and every single person here is seriously the best at their role, whether it’s marketing, sales, IT, engineering, etc everyone I’ve met is willing to step in and help each other. I’m so grateful I get to be a part of it, and have had the best experience since I started! Not to mention the product itself is best in its class, not only what it can do and detect to stop email threats, but it’s easily integrated and easy to maintain with 0 lift. The fact that we are partnered with Microsoft and have almost 5 star peer review on Gardner speaks volumes about our product, and here all I see is 5 star reviews that are all true! We also have unlimited PTO (which people actually get to use), and promotions from within(have seen it many times) as well as fast growth in the market space. I love it here! Great culture, teams people, leadership, product…what more could you ask for?

Cons

I really can’t think of any, I guess working remotely can be challenging however we do collab a lot and everyone is open to networking. We even have random chats that we meet new people in the company every week, which is great!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I will never work anywhere else! Abnormal is amazing!

Mar 14, 2022 - Security Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership is transparent and always driving a healthy culture of customer obsession, ownership and teamwork - and we know this because we meet weekly as a company in an enthusiastic atmosphere where all questions are welcome. - People working here are truly happy (and it shows!); without exception, each of us is motivated, excited about our mission to stop cyber crime and genuinely willing to help each other. - The pay is outstanding and the benefits are excellent. Our leadership is generous and values each and every one of us. - Each employee believes strongly in providing 360-degree recognition for a job well done - the encouragement and motivation is far above and beyond any place I've ever worked. - Employees are granted plenty of room to innovate and create; new ideas are welcome. - Never a dull moment! - Senior leadership is supportive of all business lines, even those of us who work behind the scenes to grow the company - I've never worked under a better CEO in my career. The cool part is, all the good stuff trickles down.

Cons

I have no cons to report. Abnormal is *the* place to be and I feel overly blessed to be here. Every single day I thank God for getting me here.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing culture, fast growth, lots of opportunities

Mar 14, 2022 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The culture of velocity, ownership, intellectual honesty, consumer obsession, and excellence is at the forefront of everything they do, and it's consistent from the CEO and board all the way down - The work/life balance is outstanding, they recently added unlimited PTO and there's no pressure to work extra hours or weekends (besides the engineer on-call rotation that's common at most software companies) - Leadership is transparent, and you always know why a certain initiative is being adopted - The entire team believes in the product, and the long-term market vision is borne out by the data and customer testimonies again and again - There are dozens of very interesting technological questions to solve, and being part of the team at this stage means you'll get to play a critical part in how the company grows - The mission is to stop cybercrime! It's great to be able to say, "I work at a company that helps to do good in the world."

Cons

The growing pains of any startup in the expansion stage - code and onboarding processes can be a handful at times, but there are clear initiatives and schedules for working on these areas right now.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

Sep 27, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best company Love it hear

Cons

No complaints None great people

Be the first to find this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 117 Reviews
</>Embed

Abnormal Security Reviews FAQs

Abnormal Security has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, based on over 121 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at Abnormal Security to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Abnormal Security employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Abnormal Security. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

93% of Abnormal Security employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Abnormal Security 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Abnormal Security to be benefits, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be MISSING VALUE.

Popular Careers with Abnormal Security Job Seekers