Abrams Artists Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Harry Abrams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Agent Assistant"

I worked at Abrams Artists Agency full-time

Pros

getting a lot of responsibility right away
    coworkers on the assistant level are all the same age, good rapport
    benefits

Cons

pay is very, very low

Advice to Management

Assistants are the backbone of the company and should be paid more. There's high turnover because there's more pay and room for advancement elsewhere.

2. "The People Are Nice and The Pay Is Low - Welcome to Entertainment"

Current Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Abrams Artists Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is cool, free food once in a while, the hours are a breeze compared to other jobs i've worked, and the atmosphere is easy going. Maybe i'm just lucky, but I have amazing bosses. I've worked at some places people would consider (glamorous) and i WISH i had bosses like these people.

It's not filled with Type-A people who will try and cut your throat, everyone is actually laid back and just trying to hustle.

Some departments grow faster than others, depending where you are. If you are looking to put in your "year at an agency" and then move to a development or production company, you shouldn't care about growing anyway. But if you're looking to stick it out and become an agent, people seem to stay here a really long time - a much shorter turnaround than other agencies i've seen.

Cons

If you choose to pursue Entertainment, you better buckle in. When I chose to enter this industry, I knew the pay would be terrible. This isn't exclusive to Abrams - EVERY assistant I know makes 25-40k max. It's simple supply and demand; the market is saturated with people who want to "make it", but there are only so many jobs. Because of this, they can get away with ridiculous practices and paying less than a McDonalds employee salary. It sucks, but we only have ourselves to hold accountable for our decisions. I'm not saying it's right, because I think it blows, but I know this is status quo and Abrams is only following suit.

Advice to Management

Get a working Kurig (please)

"Relaxed and entertaining, but also corrupt and frustrating"

I have been working at Abrams Artists Agency full-time

Pros

Depending on the department, it can be a very relaxed work environment. You will always be entertained by the nutty happenings in the office on any given day. The comradery among the assistants who are all in it together can get you through. If you are well liked, you will have a grand time here as the social atmosphere is very strong and a lot of fun. Mostly, you will not be working super long hours like other agencies.

Cons

The pay is very low, even for the industry. Your concerns are not heard here; voicing your opinion does not stir much action from management to find a lasting solution. Favoritism is strong – it’s not necessarily your skill and professionalism that will get you far here, it is how well you get along with the higher-ups and how much they like your jokes. But even then, they know that there is not much potential for growth here (mostly all of the agent positions are filled and they are not going anywhere anytime soon) and invent ways to coax you to stay. A more shallow point - The office décor/furniture has not changed (or seemingly even been cleaned) since the 70’s.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially if you want to keep them. The small things (complaints about lack of coffee, the status of the cleanliness of the office, potential small-scale thieves) are important to maintaining a healthy work environment, do not ignore them. Make sure that the employees that you value KNOW that they are valued (pay raise to something live-able, more frequent employee reviews, etc).

4. "Great Place to start"

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Abrams Artists Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot, if you do not mind grinding out the work.

Cons

It can be dull on a non busy day.

"Could be worse"

I worked at Abrams Artists Agency full-time

Pros

- A place to get your foot in the door in the industry
    - Good work/life balance for industry standards
    - I don't know about the other reviews, but there are way more intense environments in this industry. Abrams is a pretty chill place in comparison to the cutthroat environments at the bigger agencies. If you can't make it here, you need to grow thicker skin.

Cons

- Not much room for growth in most of the departments
    - Low pay, even for Hollywood

Advice to Management

- Invest in actual HR people who know how to recruit quality talent, as they are the future of the company
    - Invest in retaining quality talent who actually want to be agents

6. "Great team mentality/Hard Working Executives"

I have been working at Abrams Artists Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers exposure to varied and interesting aspects of the business

Ahead of the curve in terms of vision and creating new business

Most of the employees are diligent, approachable and have knowledge they are willing to share

Great unity between the east and west coast agents

Excellent sense of camaraderie amongst the NY TV Film and Theatre department

The Business Affairs Director is a very level headed person and approachable.

Cons

There are some strong personalities here (See other reviews!) but the majority of the employees are affable and kind to one and another and their assistants

"My first job..."

Former Employee - Assistant to Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant to Agent in New York, NY

Pros

Best is for the friendship of other assistants, and hopefully getting a mentor of an agent. The experience of working in this industry is priceless.

Cons

The management. The pay. The sexism, and the favoritism towards those of a certain faith and of the founder. The lack of even simple perks, ie not even a coffee machine in the office.

"Stay away at all costs"

Pros

The central West Hollywood location.

Cons

The previous comment of "a general culture of fear" is correct. In reality it is a mom & pop shop, there is no HR and management will constantly lie to you. There is almost no diversity. Do not be fooled by the fancy office; the computers are 10 years old, their systems are continually crashing, and the chairs you will spend 8+ hours a day in are falling apart. Your colleagues will complain every day about how Abrams is the worst job they have ever had. The pay is much lower than anywhere else in the industry, including other agencies. When you are not being yelled at, there will be someone else being yelled at, and because it is an open office you will hear it. Absolutely zero vacation until after your first year. The general disregard for employees and clients from management is unforgivable. I regret ever setting foot in Abrams.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees and hire someone with real HR experience. Be more transparent regarding the health of the company. Be nice.

"I didn't realize I applied to work in a concentration camp"

Pros

none, but I have to enter 5 words in this section.

Cons

this whole place sucks, the most abusive environment I have ever worked in. The way some agents treat their assistants is unbelievable, and that they get away with it while the whole office is a witness is even more un-believe-able.

Advice to Management

Why have you not changed anything yet? why is there no HR? why don't the SVPs and higher ups care about the horrible workplace environment that they built. DO SOMETHING

"The negative reviews are not exaggerations."

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Abrams Artists Agency full-time

Pros

Some of the assistants are good people. Occasionally there are free tickets up for grabs. Birthdays are fun, they always bring in cake.

Cons

This was my first job, so I convinced myself that this was normal. Racism, sexism, screaming in the hallways, employees crying, shorted checks, questionable financial practices, and a general culture of fear. When I finally left, my new coworkers were just so nice and I realized how poorly I was treated and that other businesses aren't run so horribly. I regret wasting my time here.

Advice to Management

Your employees are people, and the benefits of breaking into this industry are not worth how you treat them. At the very least, you could improve the health insurance to cover the therapy they'll need.