KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Abstrakt Marketing Group Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2022

Found 340 of over 348 reviews

3.9
Abstrakt Marketing Group President Scott Scully (no image)
Scott Scully

Publicis Health

18 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people are great and there is always a positive atmosphere.(in 43 reviews)
  • "Culture is fun(in 36 reviews)
  • "Training program manager is stellar it's too bad the training is completely underminded after you get to your direct manager(in 12 reviews)
  • "I have encountered a few challenges being fairly new to this company but everyone has been very supportive and helpful.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Countless opportunities to grow professional and individually.(in 12 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Abstrakt Marketing Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great Company

Jul 1, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great and lively environment. This is probably the best office job their is

Cons

Cold calling is challenging and stressful, thankfully you have a solid support system

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Welcoming people, great working atmosphere, hard work

Jun 27, 2022 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Abstrakt's company culture is top tier in St. Louis. Lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this moment, I am fairly new.

Marketing Team

Thank you for your review! We're glad to have a-players like you on our team.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lessons will be learned here, good and bad

Jun 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

There truly is room for growth here. It is constant and sometimes not the most ready person is put in a position due to rapid growth and policies of promoting internally. When they say growth is at its core, it is true, even when the growth is uncomfortable. Abstrakt fosters an environment to create life-long friendships, it's like a pressure cooker for that type of thing. If the vibe is right within a team, that team can go anywhere. I have some of my favorite memories and some of my closest friends from working here. If you are the type of person that gets job satisfaction from actually checking a box, like setting an appointment, or completing a metric, the entry level position here is a great place to get your start. It requires accountability and a desire to put in extra work from time to time because it's not a straightforward role. If it is understood that you will have to have real conversations to be successful, then you can do anything here. It's not EASY work, but it is rewarding work. If you put it in and are successful at it, you'll be a part of the growth. You do get a seat at the table here to discuss your frustrations. They also reserve the right to disagree. They recently added maternity leave as well as Juneteenth as a paid Holiday within the company, and are always evaluating their benefits. There are people within this organization that are next-level talented. You will find mentors and people to look up to all over the place. It really is remarkable the amount of brilliant minds here. If you don't stay long, you will still be positively impacted by these people. The training team, the accounting team, the implementations team, the success team, the operations team, the video team, seek these people out. They all are passionate, smart and will help you succeed not only at Abstrakt, but wherever you go in life. Abstrakt Cloud - nothing negative to say about any part of that faction. From the leadership all the way to the product. Abstrakt Cloud is filled to the brim with talent and passion for the product. My advice is to work here, IF you are on the fence. But you have to understand that it's not easy. You aren't going to have fun every single day, and you aren't going to understand every decision made, possibly ever. But you will learn. Be patient, observant, and soak it all up. You may not stay forever, and that's ok, you will have learned something, so don't take that for granted.

Cons

Leadership is young and at times, naïve. The President of Abstrakt literally started as an intern there and is still there. While that's a cool story, it can leave blind spots. That isn't to say they aren't coming from a good place. They are well intended and want to do what is best for the company long-term, but sometimes, they just can't get out of their own way. Most, if not all of the leadership is home grown or has been out of the job market for so long, they have no real grasp on what it's like outside of Abstrakt anymore (if they ever did). When you put a bunch of like-minded people in the same room, with no healthy friction, you don't always get the best decisions. Not to mention, the pressure of the top onto the leadership has a trickle-down effect. By the time it gets to the bottom, the stress can become unbearable. If you feel like some of the things they do are for PR - like encouraging employees to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor, all the awards, or Give Back Day, among other things. It's because they are. It's a marketing company. Again, not coming from a bad place, just a reality of a marketing agency. With a young company, with young leadership, comes mistakes. There have been a lot, there will be a lot more. If that makes you mad, don't work here. The policies are going to change frequently and they are going to happen behind the scenes (just like any other company). The only difference is how frequent and fast they are. For instance, I was recently told about a pay change at my current company, but they said, since it was too far into the year, the change would happen in January of 2023 in order for us to prepare for it. Abstrakt, the change will happen immediately and very messily. And if it wasn't the right change, they will lean in because, unfortunately, no one wants to be wrong and (see first paragraph). There is no protection from clients. If they are mad that their investment isn't paying off (whether it's their fault or Abstrakt's) no one is safe. And there is nothing to be done as long as the money keeps coming. They can be downright abusive to anyone, leadership included, but if they are paying, they stay. That being said, the product that is Abstrakt, by the time I had left, declined. I do believe they could correct this though and by the time I left, they were trying to make some changes. The PTO policy and WFH could use some TLC. Trust within the leadership team to everyone else is almost non-existent. Compensation at the time of my exit was not competitive for entry level and it's high pressure. Margins here are incredibly tight though, so I don't expect this to change. Work/life balance gets less the higher up you go. You win some, you lose some.

7 people found this review helpful

Marketing Team

Thank you for your review. We're glad that you were able to make friendships and achieve growth during your time with us and that you enjoyed our benefits and culture. With every part of our business, we are reevaluating these with time and working hard to meet the wants and needs of our team. While we are proud that many of our leaders are promoted from within, we perform regular management training in order to consistently coach these individuals and ensure they are helping to foster a positive, efficient work environment. We are also working to expand our leadership team to more fully flesh out any changes, but try to roll out changes as quickly as possible to resolve the issues that are causing those changes. We wish you luck in future endeavors!

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company decent benefits

Jun 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home opportunity a plus

Cons

Company needs more diversity asap

Continue reading

Marketing Team

Thank you for your five-star review! We are proud to offer work from home opportunities for our team as well as a strong in-office culture. As far as diversity, we have been making a conscious effort to include more diversity across our team and are proud to boast we have 7 women on our executive leadership team. We also make continued efforts to provide each employee with 40 hours of training per year and continuously add to our training offerings to meet the changing needs of our workforce. We hope you are able to use the knowledge you gained here in your future endeavors.

5. 5.0

Good Company

Jun 1, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, network, learn, grow, advance, progress.

Cons

None that I can think of

Marketing Team

Thank you for your five-star review! We're lucky to have A-Players like you on our team.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Creative Team + Fun Vibes

May 24, 2022 - Graphic Designer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The design team is really collaborative and supportive. There are a handful of personality types that bounce really well off one another. We have a diverse portfolio of clients and types of mediums so every day is different project wise.

Cons

We work with semi-tight turnaround time in order to meet deadlines.

Abstrakt Marketing Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a glowing review! We are thankful to have such a talented team of graphic designers and are glad you are enjoying the variety of clients and team members. While we work hard to meet our clients' schedules, we hope you are also enjoying the more fun parts of our culture, such as team outings, food trucks, and events like the upcoming Dragon Boat Races.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Like a Gas Station in a Sundown Town - Not Worth the Trouble

Jun 16, 2022 - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I worked with, and my direct manager, were all phenomenal people deserving of a much better company environment. (We would often joke that our department was "an island in a sea of BS") As this was my first full-time role in my position, coming from freelancing, I was able to learn a lot from those around me and develop my own skillset. To be very clear, this was because I asked questions and had supportive people around me. This was in no way due to the 1 hour of "training"/"development" time that employees are offered per week, as I rarely had the ability to use that time. Through the skills I developed at Abstrakt I was able to make a roughly lateral move to another company (I have a slightly higher title, but a significantly more manageable workload) for nearly TRIPLE my salary at Abstrakt.

Cons

Like the title says, this is the kind of place you only stop at to get what you absolutely need, and GET OUT before God knows what can happen. TL;DR (see explanations below): 1. Awful pay 2. Unrealistic expectations 3. Prioritizing "culture" over employee safety and health 4. No opportunity for growth in non-sales roles 5. The CEO is genuinely a bad person 6. Shockingly non-diverse 7. LOOK AT SAPPER CONSULTING'S RATING to see what people really think (2.6 stars as of my writing this) 1. I worked on the "agency" side of the company as a creative, and while I don't regret my time at Abstrakt I am incredibly thankful I was able to move on to a position that actually pays what I'm worth. 2. The expectations on us were always sky-high, as we had to manage both an ever-increasing client load as well as absolutely asinine demands for "internal use" content - The large majority of my work was to try to show that Abstrakt was a fun and exciting place to work, both to current employees and the never-ending stream of fresh college grads they hired in. This also meant that higher-ups would very regularly have last-minute demands, and it was almost expected that the CEO would change or even cancel a project entirely after previously approving it, and well after countless man-hours had been spent on it. 3. During my tenure, COVID-19 hit and the company actually did a phenomenal job of equipping everyone to work from home in a very short timeframe. However, that means nothing when the ENTIRE COMPANY was brought back in only a few months later, citing "company culture" as the reason. As you could expect, we got emails (at least) weekly from HR, telling us how many people had tested positive that week. While employees were required to mask in-building for a while, it's a rule that the CEO oddly never seemed to care about. To this day, they still cite that they offer remote work, but realistically you can expect your request to be denied last-minute. 4. You'll be promised "career advancement". This is a lie. Despite how happily they'll brag about MRR increases and company growth, the only chance you have at making a decent income is if you're in sales - The rest of the company (you know, the people actually delivering what's being sold?) is treated as an inconvenience. I've also heard they've recently bragged to employees that they're increasing all wages to their "national averages", which begs two questions: Why weren't you already paying as much, and how are you going to prove you're paying fairly after the fact? I know for my previous role, even the same title at other companies in STL pays nearly double what I made - and yet I get the funny feeling that my former colleagues won't be seeing a bump at all. 5. Scott Scully is the type of man to watch Wolf of Wall Street and think Jordan Belfort was a role model. He's desperate to create a "sales bro" atmosphere to keep SDRs from quitting faster than he can replace them, right down to the bright red walls and graffiti murals - hence the move back in-office. He always believes he has the right answer, and God help you should you disagree with that. He also has no problem disparaging anyone "not on his side", including former employees, publicly via LinkedIn (I have screenshots to prove it). He's walking uranium - Tons of potential energy, but the longer you spend around him the more negatively it affects you. 6. I guarantee you they'll give plenty of reasons as to why almost everyone at the company are white dudes, but the long and short of it is that hostility to anyone who doesn't "fit their culture" (read: frat bro energy) is in Abstrakt's DNA, and it actively drives out POC, LGBTQIA+ employees, and anyone who could offer a scrap of perspective different than what the C-suite sees. It's the kind of workplace where you're more likely to see a "blue lives matter" shirt on MLK Jr. Day than you are a pride flag (true story). 7. To close out, just look at the reviews on Sapper Consulting - Abstrakt's most recent acquisition - if you want to see how people who haven't drank the kool-aid feel about this company. (Of course, now that I've said that I'm sure they'll "encourage" their pluckiest employees to leave good reviews - After all, isn't that what's best for the company?)

Continue reading