Abt Associates Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.9
Abt Associates President and CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan
Kathleen L. Flanagan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Salaries slightly below industry average but fair for work-life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Interesting work, colleagues were not overly competitive with one another (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • It disrupted work-life balance for many (in 10 reviews)

• Policies are more focused towards retention of the senior staff, middle tier staff feels left out at times (in 10 reviews)

1. "Growing Mission Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great work
    great teams
    lots of learning

Cons

some supervisors hold staff back

Advice to Management

Give supervisors training on how to coach and mentor on career growth

2. "Good benefits, career advancement not so great"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible schedule and opportunity to work part time.

Cons

Top down structure. Poor career development for junior staff.

3. "Great place!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with; my clients are respectful easygoing fun folks to work with; they rely on me to be the expert in my area. In the process of creating a fun new office workspace with huddle areas, game space, a yoga room, etc.

Cons

Recruiting volume is high but even then, we're able to get contract/surge support help from outside recruiters

4. "New employee but very happy so far"

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time

Pros

I've been with Abt for almost 4 months now and so far, everything is going well. Previously, I worked with an organization that didn't understand the meaning of work life balance. Abt truly promotes work/life balance and allows telecommuting 1 day/week for a typical employee.

Other things I enjoy:
    *Monthly CEO "change chats"
    *Mobility program - essentially divisions/departments post projects they need assistance with allowing current employees to experience other areas of the organization.
    *Regularly scheduled social events
    *I genuinely like the people I work with in my department

Cons

*In the beginning, I found myself a little bit board because I didn't have a lot of projects. As time went on, I gained additional responsibilities.

*One of the departments is going through "growing pains" which sometimes hinders processes.

"Don't just be Bold Thinker...Be a Bold Doer!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Abt has a great telecommuting policy which allows staff the flexibility they need to manage work and life. Smart colleagues who genuinely care about the mission

Cons

The centralized structure and lack of delegation of authority is a real bottle neck and really hurts Abt's ability to implement program activities in a timely and functional manner. The HR team is the biggest bottle neck in the company and a total black hole where requests go to die, although there has been a notable improvement with recruitment. Senior leadership could benefit from communications classes, because information at Abt, much like economic stimulation, does not trickle down. At all. You are either in the know or completely in the dark.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate, delegate authority, release the reins and trust us to do the jobs that we were hired to do. Encourage more independent and innovative thinking and don't fear failure - it's how we will learn, grow, and be great! Also, quit hiring execs from the private sector, they don't understand our business.

"Good Leadership, Poor Communication"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Abt Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work-Life balance
    - Interesting and engaging work;
    - Leadership with a good, competitive strategy and a strategic leader of HR that cares about staff

Cons

- Poor communication from leadership. There has been a lot of change and the lack of communication & transparency makes leadership seem cold rather than caring
    - Office morale is low
    - Work (at least appears) tightly correlated to the government
    - The inner workings of the actual HR team are broken

Advice to Management

The strategy and vision of the company are - as always - great. The communication surrounding these changes needs to be better to foster a collective team perspective rather than the current belief that everything is top-down. Finally, there are two HR groups at Abt: one that is strategic & works diligently with the executives to create positive change & help the employees and the business be successful. Then there is the HR function and operation which is broken and mismanaged.

7. "International Health Division Analyst Role"

Former Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Abt Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting project work. Career progression with or without a PhD. Good work-life balance attainable. Positive reinforcement/recognition of good work.

Cons

Highly introverted work environment. Experienced poor project management and communication within a matrix structure where it was hard to move things forward and know who/what to prioritize. Billing time to projects.

Advice to Management

Invest more in cultivating junior staff and keeping them engaged. Consider a mentoring program.

"Good place to start working but not to stay"

Current Employee - Finance and Contracts Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Finance and Contracts Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with a company for over 7 years. Good place to start working but not staying.Very flexible work environment and laid back atmosphere (feels academic).

Cons

Very hard to get promoted, hard work is not appreciated, very low pay especially for Finance and Contract Analysts in comparison with other companies. Too many managers too few employees to do the work. Pay raise is horrid. Very competitive among employees. Limited opportunities for advancement within the company in certain divisions. Hard to get salary bump/raise, promotion/annual review process unclear/political. I personally do not feel valued in this company.

Advice to Management

There's too much focus on reputation all capital for the wrong reasons, namely just to win more work. Pay better at lower ranks.

"Great people, great research, difficult system for junior staff"

Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Research can be really interesting. Lots of opportunity to build new skills. People are fantastic!

Cons

Because projects are almost always underfunded, junior staff have to work 45-55 hours to get 40 billable hours per week. This can be a great thing if you're young, single and have the time. It can be difficult if you're in a relationship and have things you value outside of work.

Focus on profits from the top is unhealthy and is often in conflict with Abt's founding values.

Advice to Management

Wind back on the focus on profits as it often is in conflict with Abt's mission.

10. "Summer Internship"

Current Intern - Social and Behavior Change Communications in Bethesda, MD
    Current Intern - Social and Behavior Change Communications in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

PAID!
    Flexible hours, mentorship, professional development, and engaging work. They treat you like an actual employee. The best internship experience I've had so far.

Cons

Employees here are very busy which makes for a high-pressure and fast-paced environment. Might not suit well for people who are easily overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!