Abt Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mike, Ricky, Jon & Billy Abt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Owners are awesome, pay is good, benefits are good also" (in 7 reviews)

• "I thought it was a great place to work" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "When let go, you will be told "it's not working out" no other reason is given" (in 4 reviews)

• "They have a lot of favoritism and I'm talking about family wise" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Warehouse"

Pros

I thought it was a great place to work

Cons

Can’t think of anything bad

Advice to Management

None

2. "Part Time"

I have been working at Abt part-time

Pros

Great Culture. You have get autonomy because you are not being micromanage since its family-owned.

Cons

Poor Benefits. Part Timers do not get any benefits except discounts on products

3. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Abt full-time

Pros

I have worked at ABT for over 5 years and there is an excellent work dynamic
    Very diverse/ all employees are like a family
    Great communication between staff and management
    Management is very understanding and accommodating to schedules
    Yearly reviews are a great reflection of the work you put in

Truly a great place to work for!

Cons

no complaints for the company

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

""terrible management""

Former Employee - Customer Service in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people there are great

decent starting pay

Cons

Management is terrible

They state their a family owned company but they could careless about their employees

You basically have to beg for your yearly review, and when you do get it, don't expect much

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA. All this company consists of is drama

You are basically bashed if you move up in the company

Advice to Management

Get new management

5. "Good Company to work for"

I worked at Abt full-time

Pros

the people are great, flexible work schedule, competitive compensation

Cons

little promotion availability, overworked, uneven job standards

6. "Fishy Reviews"

Current Employee - Driver Helper in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Driver Helper in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None this company is shady and has gotten rid of employees for the pettiest reasons and somehow every time a bad review comes up.

Cons

They feel the need to call out the ex-employee for writing a bad review about them and always turning the tables and it being the employees fault they were let go. After a bad review the site gets flooded with a few 5 star reviews... fishy much?

Apr 30, 2018 – HR Director

There is a mixture of primarily good reviews but also negative reviews, like the one you post. There is no "flood", of any review type, unless one is sorting by review rating. Contrary to your... More

7. "appliance repair technician"

Former Employee - Appliance Repair Technician in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Appliance Repair Technician in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, nice employees to work with as a team.

Cons

managers dont care about the tecks in the field, they always want you to do the impossible,they want you to do fast repairs on peoples appliances even if its not repaired right,they over load tecks on There route, leaving tecks little to no realistic time to do a good repair job,they Dont listen to nothing you have to say,its there way or no way,they will fire you at the drop of a dime,they only care about money and customers,not there technicians, dont work at this job,or you can become another victim of being fired.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic time frames for repairs for technicians and dont be too quick to fire people .

Nov 20, 2017 – HR Director

We do not hire experienced appliance repair technicians, train them extensively for 2 months, and then fire them for no reason. If you would have not been tardy so often and did not take 2 to... More

"Full Time Sales Good Job Not a Real Career"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are pleasant to work with. They were some really knowledgeable people there. Some Managers know business and are not afraid to show it off. Learned sales tactics that I never knew I had.

Schedule was somewhat flexible but it is retail so be prepared for weekends, holidays and slow night and day shifts.

If you are good at selling and want something for the next couple years while in school or building up another business then this is a good place to start. I got my degree shortly after being let go, and haven't looked back. Still Like Sales, but now I do it from the other side as a patron of ABT.

Also Bob Abt was a great if not the greatest President/ CEO of a company. Very approachable, always kind, always willing to listen. The few times I was able to speak to him 1 on 1 are times that I will not forget.

Cons

No real upward advancement. Yes you can move to other departments and make some more money but that is it. Some Managers that are there are not interested in bringing others into management, only to make themselves look good. This is a smaller business and I understand there cannot be tons of Managers. Favoritism is rampant and is not even attempted to be concealed. Managers will screw you over on a sales commission in a heartbeat.

I was let go for low sales. Now by low sales means I sold less than others in my Department which could be 50 dollars less then the next guy. My customer service was excellent compared to others in my group and I went for quality or quantity with my customers. Which in some businesses means absolutely nothing. I was given no formal warning and the week after the new year I was discharged. When asked for an explanation I was just given low sales with no further substance. To me not really appropriate answer when you are firing someone.

Advice to Management

Now this is from my time there almost 4 years ago so things may have changed. From information I received from friends that still work there they have not changed any if at all. I understand sales is a revolving door of people but if you claim to be the best place to work for in the state you should provide a higher level of management and response to your employees. Managers should not have a commissions which is why they are in a Manager Position to Manage not to sell.

Crack down on the favoritism.

Provide some type of training to sales staff to help in sales. Last training I got was a week of night trainings before I started, followed by the good advice from "Hoff" to read a sales book. Everything else I picked up on my own.

-DJ

Oct 9, 2017 – HR Director

We realize your comments are based on what it was like was four years ago and like all things in life, some things have changed and some things have not.

Even though Bob Abt is not physically... More

9. "was fired for not meeting expectations. HR never inquired into whether I would fit better in a different department."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time

Pros

Everyone was nice to work with

Cons

I did not feel training was adequate. The first day I came to work my manager said that he was expecting me the previous week and I told him I needed 2 weeks to give notice. He never told me that when I was training I would be shadowing someone else and their schedule. When I asked about my schedule he gave me a completely different schedule then the one he had given me over the phone.

Advice to Management

Listed above

Oct 5, 2017 – HR Director

We did accommodate you by giving you 3 weeks between your offer and start date. We find actual on-the-job training shadowing a more senior employees works best. We also try to best accommodate... More

10. "Best Store on the Planet"

Pros

Coolest electronic and appliance store on earth

Cons

this place has no cons

Advice to Management

keep up the good, innovative work.