Academic Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

Academic Advantage Reviews

Updated November 30, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • This firm has flexible hours and very little pressure (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours, one-on-one contact with families/children, good pay (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The paper work is tedious, but I was familiar with it from other tutoring jobs (in 5 reviews)

• I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors (in 21 reviews)

1. "Mixed emotions."

Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Flexibility in setting hours. Independent for the most part, you can adjust lessons. Very rewarding to make a difference in someone's life.

Cons

Lots of paperwork. Parents can be uncooperative. Not enough training. Lots of time spent organizing lessons without reimbursement.

2. "Unethical and incompetent; what are you thinking?"

Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None whatever that I experienced. A complete waste of my time and money.

Cons

I am a former Tutor for Academic Advantage in Los Angeles – early 2014

As a longtime tutor, I have never seen a more unethical company. Long unpaid training, ridiculously complicated paperwork for starters.

Then tutors are used to "recruit" students that are not interested in tutoring- clearly, they just got a list of potential students. This is all unpaid, and involves driving to their houses.

At their pay rate (which is low) they owe me: $450 at least. I quit almost immediately.

Utter disorganization - nobody's in charge, nobody returns phone calls. I was offered another, actually paid, position recruiting students. I jumped through all hoops, and no call back, no e-mail, and now no message machine and no website.

Utterly dishonest, inept company. I would say anything positive listed here is a plant. I'm quite certain they do that.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. IF YOU WORKED FOR THEM SINCE 2006 IN L.A. YOU CAN SIGN UP...EASILY AVAILABLE ONLINE

Let's see this company experience some consequences.

Advice to Management

Utterly dishonest and incompetent

3. "tutor low-income students in their homes for $16/hr and have to fill out tedious paperwork as a contractor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Modesto, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no supervisor so the tutoring method is completely left up to the tutor. You are assigned a representative that can help you with the paperwork.

Cons

travel between student homes, only about 20hrs/week because students aren't home til 3pm, irresponsible parents, you get paid almost a month after you turn in your paperwork

Advice to Management

Pay $20/hr or tutors will find another company that they will predominantly work with like I did. Make sure their are no discrepancies on how to fill out paperwork.

5. "If you just want to pay bills, work here."

Former Employee - SLP Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SLP Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm trying to think of a pro...and nothing comes to mind. I guess my immediate supervisor was nice, and they do take the time out to celebrate birthdays and holidays whenever they come up.

Cons

Cliquey office culture, revolving door of employees, no opportunities for advancement within one's role, unclear chain of command (I didn't even know who my supervisor's boss would have been).
    Misleading hiring bulletins: The job I applied for was advertised in a way that led me to believe that it was a role with many responsibilities, which would be compensated at a much higher level than what was ultimately offered. I only took the job because I needed the money at the time. I tried to make the most of it, but I got laid off after getting laid off for having done what should have been advertised as a temporary contract position.

6. "Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in La Habra, CA
    Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in La Habra, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with children. All parents were very supportive as well.

Cons

First off the training is terrible. No training at all. The Laptops are worthless and the staff is non existent. Paper work is overwhelming. Your not able to contact staff if you run up against a problem and when you are you do not get a straight answer. last year I dealt with a person at NCLB who assigns the children to the tutors. She was most helpful than anybody I was assigned. She answered all questions and I could reach her anytime of the day. It's to bad that all the people that work and have worked for this company have such a horrible review of the company. Going forward do not make the same mistake as I did. Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Take care of your people and not yourselves.

"Bilingual Enrollment Representative in the Garden Grove area"

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-$14/hr
    -Accepted students & worked around their schedule
    -M-F
    -You get to work with diverse groups of people
    -Spanish preferred

Cons

-Mileage not compensated
    -Get ready to knock on many doors (have a good pair of walking shoes & a smile on your face)
    -Training is brief (4 hours) and rushed
    -Inconsistent with length of employment was told it will be 1-2months. It lasted 2 weeks
    -There is a minimum of leads/signups required to do (this is discussed when hired)
    -Academic Advantage is getting sued (quick google search will provide more details)

Advice to Management

Consider the importance of integrity. Thank you.

8. "I wish I had looked before I leaped."

Current Employee - Tutor in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the children are wonderful.

Cons

Getting paid is a problem. When questioning management about why I received a partial payment, I was given an ambiguous answer that payment was pending. When I threatened to discontinue services, I was told that payment had been scheduled for release that day. It was not deposited to my account that day, and I have no idea when I will receive the pay.

Advice to Management

You need to realize that your contractors need accurate paychecks.

"find another tutoring company"

Current Employee - Tutor in Paramount, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Paramount, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the only pro would be that you can make a difference in the lives of children in our community.

Cons

unorganized, poor communication, low compensation, long training. I had my phone interview and then heard nothing for 2 weeks in which I decided to call them. They had apparently lost my information. I then scheduled the in-person orientation which is like 4 hours long. I did not learn anything. It has been over a month since the in person orientation and I have not heard anything. I submitted everything they asked for and gave them my credit card information for the fingerprinting. I call and they don't return my calls. I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors. This one is not legitimate in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I would restructure the whole system. It needs an overhaul. Better training to include computers. Less paperwork or better compensation. Very poorly run program.

10. "Much needed 2nd job"

Current Employee - Tutor in Reedley, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Reedley, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great 2nd job because you select the hours you can tutor. Once you finish a student they typically have additional students available for you if you want them, so this part-time gig can last anywhere from 3-9 months. At $17 and hour there aren’t a lot of other part-time positions that pay this and also offer the flexibility this job provides.

Cons

It is part time but the schedule is normally after school, which is 3-8pm. I normally end my tutoring days around 7pm. It's okay but I do like my night schedule to stay open. Some families prefer weekends and it's normally EARLY...around 8am...

11. "Good for retirees"

Current Employee - Tutor in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m retired and need to supplement my monthly income. $17 an hour definitely helps out and working part-time evenings and weekends still allows me to enjoy me retirement time. The company training is long to sit through, but is detailed and covers a lot of material. Taking your time when completing paperwork is essential. I’m likely to tutor every year until I can’t physically do it any longer. I enjoy it and the company is good to work for.

Cons

The paperwork is extremely tedious. Once in a while I call in to have a representative assist me in filling out the paperwork. The representatives are patient with me and answer my questions very thoroughly.