Academic Impressions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Amit Mrig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Supportive Environment with Opportunities for Growth"

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While AI has its flaws, I decided to give five stars to this company because their struggles are not unusual at any organization - what sets this company apart is its willingness to acknowledge its flaws and attempt to resolve them. That's not to say that each attempt is successful, but this effort goes a long way in my overall view of the organization.

AI has a lot of strengths to be proud of. The organization as a whole is extremely supportive of employees, both personally and professionally. Managers all the way up the the CEO display genuine concern for the well-being of staff. This is demonstrated by the comprehensive employee sponsored benefits plan, the employee engagement activities, and the personal interest each person takes in their colleagues.

In addition, employees who display interest and aptitude are provided with opportunities for growth. Many employees have started in part-time positions and moved into integral full-time roles within the company, and many others have been provided with advancement opportunities that suit their interests and play to their strengths. Advancement is definitely earned, but there is no lack of opportunity for those who want to advance and are willing to work hard and prove themselves.

Cons

AI still maintains a "start-up" feel, where each employee wears multiple hats. While this can sometimes be an advantage, it can often leave employees feeling strained and unable to focus on the areas in which they excel. In addition, the different departments can often feel like they are pitted against each other because of a lack of coherent interdepartmental communication and a lack of understanding about the nuances of each individuals' jobs.

Advice to Management

First, management would benefit from communicating to departments that this is not a zero-sum game; we're all working toward the same goals and we need each other to get there. Each position is valuable and each carries its own weight - this should be continually reinforced. There is no position within the organization that is more valuable than another.

Next, there is a tendency for individuals to become supervisors who do not have the skills or interest in people management, though they excel at other areas within the company. Allowing these individuals to focus on strategy would benefit both the strategic direction of the company and the individual employees. People management seems to be the default for advancement at many organizations, and it generally leads to discontent - AI needs to step back and not fall into this trap. You should be able to advance and expand your influence without managing others if that's not in your interest or skill set.

Finally, remind all of your employees how much you value them! It's not uncommon for these feelings to be expressed, but it becomes especially important during times of change and strain.

2. "The dedication of the employees is amazing"

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is understanding and flexible about commute times and personal work-life balance. They allow you to really have a say in your career growth and development. They are happy to invest in your professional development and help you achieve those goals. Everyone that works there loves the mission and the goals of AI. It amazes me how much the employees love the company and everything it stands for - it really gets you motivated to do your best everyday and happy to come into work.

Cons

The company is the middle of a shifting business model and that can cause some frustrations but overall management is doing their best to keep the communication line clear in the shift. No one really goes out to lunch, there is a real sense of working through it but it seems that no one actually minds - so I would say it is a tiny downside but not really a problem or anything.

Advice to Management

Management is trying to address a lot of the current problems, which a great sign. I would say keep the communication lines open and be open to new ideas and changes. (Which they are - just reminding management to keep doing what they are doing)

3. "Allows employees to maximize their strengths"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been thrilled with how AI has allowed me to make adjustments to my role to maximize my strengths and passions. I have seen my role morph several times since I started and it has been in the interest of finding out what energizes employees and allowing them to make the most of their skillsets.

Cons

Those who have been here for only a few years sometimes feel left out of key planning and visionary conversations.

Advice to Management

Recognize that those you hire may be new to AI, but bring a wealth of insights and skillsets that can be assets. I also recommend leadership training for both formal and informal leaders in order to ensure that teams can function at their highest levels.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your honest review of life at AI. Professional development is important to us, since it is the core of our work. We will be launching leadership training in the near future and will... More

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Data Entry in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Denver, CO

Pros

The people are so open. There are plenty of opportunities to grow if you have been in the higher education administration field

Cons

Not really many cons. Some of the rhetoric is a bit redundant and the business model isn't quite as sustainable as some other organizations but otherwise it is a good place.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review of AI. We are in the process of changing our business model to become more sustainable and creating a more efficient workplace environment for all of our team members.

"Committed to their people and higher ed"

Former Employee - Conference Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Academic Impressions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ai is a group of extremely smart, motivated folks who are consistently creating. The company is full of people pushing the evolution of higher ed, while also continually innovating the way the business operates. It is fair to say that any idea you have while working there, will be seriously considered and if you want to make it happen, you have the tools, colleagues and resources to do so.

The hardest part in my leaving Ai was leaving the people and culture, it is exactly what a young professional that lives in Denver would want. I am proud to say that I worked there and will continue to follow Ai as I know they are on the front of what is going on in higher ed.

Cons

The initial process to acclimate to the Ai approach and speed can be difficult. Everyone moves very quickly and though there is a well prepared training process, you must come in ready to work and comfortable with some ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Continue to build a team of folks that cares about quality and each other.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful review of AI. We are revamping our training process for all employees, especially for those in our Program Development team, since it can be difficult to adjust to a new... More

"Great place to learn and grow as a professional"

Former Employee - Conference Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never been a part of a more committed group of intelligent, impassioned people who truly care about the work they do and are always striving for improvement. This is a great place to work if you are interested in constantly learning and contributing to an industry - you'll never get bored or remain stagnant. People work hard because the cross-team collaboration forces accountability, but there's a fun culture and management constantly checks in and provides perks to help prevent burn out.

Cons

As with most sales-based industries, when the market changes so does the workflow and you have to adjust your processes and focus for reasons that sometimes can't be understood. It can be frustrating to put so much effort into a project that doesn't pan out as expected, but it's also nice to have the flexibility to try something new if you can manage unpredictability.

Advice to Management

Keep talking about the big picture PURPOSE of the work - it's helps maintain motivation and morale - and perhaps slow the pace just a little so people have more time to produce quality work.

"High turnover, Low morale and support."

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time

Pros

Hmmmm......It gets me out of bed every day and a paycheck.

Cons

Too much demand and deadlines. Always stressed about money. Here we are again looking for the same positions to be filled. Don't work here unless your unemployment has run out, and be sure to put on your fake happy face every day like the executives do. The staff is so cliquey and dysfunctional, gossipy and rude. They asked the staff to go onto Glassdoor and write raving reviews. Really?

Advice to Management

They need to seek outside help to get their staff happy again and I'm not talking about knowing how to work well with others. The executives need counseling from prominent, successful executive on how to run a business.

"Most engaging work environment; excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Director of Research and Publications in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Research and Publications in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It has been fascinating reading the other reviews here on Glassdoor; they are prevailingly positive, with a few exceptions, and my impression is that the handful of scathing reviews tell me a lot more about the reviewers than they tell me about the organization or its team.

I love working here. I've been with AI just under 8 years, and I have seen a lot of change and a lot of growth in that time. Prior to AI, I worked in a variety of corporate and higher-ed positions, and none of them were either as well-compensated or as fulfilling as this one. In many ways, AI brings together many of the best traits of both the for-profit and the non-profit world, combining a focus on ROI, productivity, and practical outcomes with a deep-seated sense of mission and a deep commitment to the staff.

Pros:
    - Work that matters. Every week, I hear about the positive impact our events have on their participants and their institutions.

- Competitive compensation.

- Extremely competitive benefits, better than anything I've seen offered at other small companies or even many large companies; as a father of two, this really matters to me.

- A collegial team that is passionate about what they do, with a high degree of trust; granted, we're always working to iron out cross-team collaboration ("collaboration" is a pretty word, but making it real and making it count is an ongoing process). But when a colleague recently said, "There isn't anyone here who I wouldn't have a beer with after work," that summed up what I felt, too. I've worked in low-trust environments. This is a pretty high-trust environment.

- Leaders who are deeply invested in their people. When I had a long-term medical crisis to deal with, involving one of my children, I felt at every step of the way that my supervisor had my back. My peers did, too. I was supported with the time off that I needed, with meals, with help, and with a very real sense that everyone here cared about me as a person and as a valuable member of the organization, not just as an absent "worker." After that, I appreciate our benefits package a lot more than I used to, too. I also feel that the leadership here is invested in my professional development, and our conversations always include a forthright discussion of work/life balance, which as a father, I especially appreciate.

- An entrepreneurial culture: if you have an idea, and you can demonstrate its potential, you don't have to go through a lot of red tape to act on it; you can pull together a few colleagues, and you'll be supported in trying it.

- High performance is encouraged, inspired, and amply rewarded.

This is a time when AI is really defining how it is going to serve our industry in the next 5-10 years, and we're moving very quickly. If you work here, you need to be someone who can adapt, someone flexible enough to try things, look at the results, and adjust accordingly. That's an energy you have to bring to the job. But you'll be supported, encouraged, and your successes will be celebrated. That has been my experience.

Cons

The work can get a little busy; our industry is changing, and we're changing with it. That means adapting to new initiatives and new ways of doing what we do. The pro is that our team is very solid and committed (and effective); the con is that we do have some weeks right now that can get a little intense. We each feel a lot of ownership for the projects that are underway, and the leadership team is pro-actively working to support us. I'm actually not convinced that the intensity really *is* a con; it is a circumstance and a challenge.

If an AI career is going to work for you -- if you're going to thrive here -- you have to have good time management skills, and you have to be someone who takes real ownership of their work -- meaning: if something isn't working for you, you regard it as your job to change it, though others will support and aid you in doing that. If the workload is getting intense, you step back and take the time to figure out what you can reasonably stop doing. The leadership team here will support you in that. This job really differs from many I've known in the level of ownership over your work that is both expected and encouraged.

In all honesty, I think that if I didn't put something in this "con" box, no one would take the review seriously. But I see what I described above as a challenge, not a con. I really like it here.

"Academic Impressions is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working with competent, committed, competitive co-workers at every level. It makes going to work everyday a joy. Because it's a small company, there are a lot of opportunities to get your feet wet with different projects. This is an aspect of the job that I appreciate because I've been able to learn a lot of different skills. During my tenure I have learned a lot about team-building skills, the higher-ed industry, and I have been exposed to other disciplines that I had little interest in prior to Academic Impressions.

Management is very supportive and committed to the success of the employees. Everyone is very approachable and easy to get along with. The work environment is laid back and the salaries and benefits are competitive. I also enjoy the beer drinking and impromptu happy hours at the office.

Cons

Every employee typically has to wear multiple hats because there are so many initiatives going on at once. At times, it can get overwhelming. There really aren't any other cons I can think of about my Academic Impressions' experience. I think it’s an excellent company.

Advice to Management

I'm thrilled we finally have the right people on the bus. Make sure we continue that! Transparent communication is great, keep it up!

10. "I've been given an amazing opportunity to grow and succeed at Academic Impressions."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits package
    - I couldn't ask for better co-workers
    - Challenging and stimulating work
    - Opportunities to take on new tasks exist and I've been rewarded through promotion
    - Professional development is encouraged
    - I'm continually learning new things about higher ed and marketing
    - The product and services are high quality and I believe they can make a difference
    - Senior management really cares about its employees
    - Management is not afraid to try new things and is open to suggestions
    - The beer cart
    - I like the small company feel
    - I feel like I work hard, but so does everyone else
    - Flexible schedule
    - Sometimes can work from home
    - Did I mention that the people here are the best?

Cons

- Company culture can be dry at times
    - Work can be very demanding in and out of normal hours
    - A small company that is sometimes limited in resources