Academic Partnerships Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carl Sparks

Pros
  • Decent Pay, great coworkers, they have good company events (in 6 reviews)

• Great people- exceptional vision (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Please refer back to culture of fear (in 6 reviews)

• The problem - well, the main problem - at AP is that the upper management turnover rate is incredibly high (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"New Direction is Excellent"

Pros

AP has good life work balance in many areas.
    The company is starting to be truly innovative
    AP pays very well

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited in many areas of the organization
    If you don't adapt well to change, this can be a challenging environment.
    Corporate politics and grandstanding are pervasive within the culture.

Advice to Management

Good hire with Carl Sparks (CEO)
    Look for new ways to expand the service offerings to clients

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships (Less than a year)

Pros

Good peers, many internal activities, involvement with the community, once a month free lunch for employees.

Cons

This is revolving door company, management does not squad about management, is all about making numbers poor coaching.

Advice to Management

Hire someone with vision

"Good ideas, poor direction/leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at this company for approximately 6 months and it wasn't that bad - I've seen some pretty awful reviews on this site and I can't speak for others, but I didn't have such a horrible experience. I worked for a supervisor who was fairly new (you'll find that most supervisors at AP are fairly new) and full of ideas. This was great because I'm all about thinking outside the box and I appreciated having the opportunity to work with other like-minded people and be directed by someone who is willing to embrace change - something you don't find often in leaders who have been with the same company for a long time. Other than that, and the fact that you will struggle to get paid adequately (they prefer to offer you incentives such as free parking or transit passes and free lunches once a month than to give you a decent salary or benefits package), this is a pretty good company to work for. I'd definitely recommend it to young people looking for their first full-time job and I have no regrets for the time I spent there as I learned a lot and got to interact with some very smart and talented people.

Cons

The problem - well, the main problem - at AP is that the upper management turnover rate is incredibly high. In fact, the overall turnover rate is very high. Most people who work there haven't been there for more than a year. The chairman of the company seems to try to be too involved in the day-to-day business. Also, he has a small circle of people who are willing to bend over backwards and do anything he says, even if they have to work nights and weekends to get it done. You would think such a wealthy, supposedly business-savvy guy wouldn't bother himself with such direct interaction with the business and trust his employees to make the best decisions, but he obviously doesn't think like that.

Advice to Management

Spend less time having meetings and more time actually working directly with your employees to get things done! It's insane how many meetings the managers have every day. There were times I wouldn't see my supervisor for days at a time and forget even getting a chance to talk to your manager one-on-one as their calendar will most likely be totally booked up with meetings ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

"Typical Call Center"

Pros

Decent Pay, great coworkers, they have good company events

Cons

Its a call center. You are on dialer software calling people all day, and you have to adhere to metrics and time off the phone schedules. Typical call center stuff.

Advice to Management

Management is ok, they do show favoritism sometimes.

"Worked for a Year."

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do two weeks of training before you get on the phones. Hourly pay is good.

Cons

New strict management. Sometimes impossible application goals to reach. Call reviews can be annoying.

Advice to Management

There was less turnover before new management took over. Don't just be focusing on hitting numbers.

"Great company- visionaries"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships (More than 3 years)

Pros

Develop skill sets to be effective in role and beyond. Work with team to meet organizational goals. Great people- exceptional vision. Industry coaches who help develop and strengthen employee outcomes as it relates to their roles and responsibilities. Highly committed to employee development.

Cons

I'd say high pressure, but it is sales, so it's to be expected. Anyone can be successful at Academic Partnerships if they are self- motivated and or action- oriented.

Advice to Management

Great job! Keep it up! :-)

"Pays well but very stressful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Pays very well. Opportunity for growth is available to all employees.

Cons

Very inconsistent. A lot of favoritism and micro management.

"Former IT"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Good people, challenging work environment.

Cons

Unstable, things are constantly changing. Known for frequent layoffs.

"I like my work environment"

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

Working with students, co-workers and team leads and managers care, as well as 8th floor leadership. I know where I stand related to my student and school goals, fair and lots of recognition activities promoted. I have been here almost 2 year and have seen changes. The changes have been improved training, recognition of what we do, internal promotions and Jon cares about what we do and so does the team. I feel this and others too.That makes me feel motivated and want to be here. My last job did not have much engaging people or activities and I have to say most people make me happy here and I like to help.

Cons

The benefits have really got expensive and the parking is far to walk and I wish we had more association with other departments like what is going on with academic items and other things. I like the partner visits but I think seeing more of the company would be good. The generalist area I think we should all do things together in groups to understand their world more vs getting a call transferred or email. Everyone is still nice and lots of good improvements but our systems are struggling.

Advice to Management

Keep up the caring approach and fairness and thanks for being available. I wish we received more of an increase but I know our leadership did their best and that's important at least for me.

"Fun atmosphere. Lots to learn. People are helpful."

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot to learn in a short period of time. So it's a much faster paced environment that the for-profit school that I worked for in the past. The coaches have been great. I'm excited to be part of the team and hopefully be employee of the month. I want that balcony!

Cons

The training is good. A little slow at first but it picks up. The parking is awful. There's an outdoor lot that fills with water on the daily and I've ruined two good pair of heels in that mess!

Advice to Management

I like my direct managers and team leads. They always let us know where we stand. The head of the center is not that friendly. Not very talkative to anyone that works there. I think he could stand to know more people. And maybe cut down on all the VPs. It seems like we have a new VP every other day