Academic Partnerships "culture of fear" Reviews | Glassdoor

Academic Partnerships Employee Reviews about "culture of fear"

Updated Nov 13, 2015

3.7
Academic Partnerships CEO Rob Ganji  (no image)
Rob Ganji
Pros
  • "Great people- exceptional vision(in 9 reviews)

• "Best reason to work for the company it motivates you to pursue higher education(in 9 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "culture of fear"

Return to all Reviews

"Not the best place"

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

I work with great people and I have made several friends that I will always keep up with. The company mission is a good one.

Cons

Culture of fear, lack of strategy, departments have different goals and don't work together for a common objective. Managers have good intentions but most become "yes sir" people.

Advice to Management

don't live in fear

Academic Partnerships2015-11-13

"Deceptive Organization"

Executive Director

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

At a glance, the company seems strong and leadership capable and solid. After the interview process, I was confident and excited about my decision to land at AP. I worked hard, exceeded my goals, was professional, and dutifully performed tasks that were asked of me by upper management. I quickly learned that real talent is not what the company wants, but rather to eliminate high performers who are skilled and... knowledgeable. Additionally, less-than capable individuals are promoted, leaving the organizational operations mismanaged by under qualified leaders. The company is in dire straights; it has a negative reputation among many organizations in various industries. In the short period of time (9 months) I represented AP as a member of the business team (which had 9 staff when I began and currently has two employees,) I salvaged numerous relationships and built partnerships with large-scale companies. Once I exceeded my goals for the company, I was informed that changes to the market were taking place and that there was no longer a need for my work. I learned a valuable lesson from my brief time at AP: if something seems too good to be true, it is. Employees at AP are overpaid and titles are inflated, but the positions won't last. Given the volatile state the higher education industry is in, along with the poor practices of leadership at AP, I am certain that it is just a matter of time before the company folds.

Cons

Under qualified and incapable leadership, inflated titles, misrepresentation of AP representatives, culture of fear and uncertainty, egotistical staff, overpaid employees

Advice to Management

Retain talent to improve brand. Develop cohesive training so that all departments conduct streamlined processes. HR needs addressing, as issues that arise are cause for legal ramifications.

Academic Partnerships2015-07-24

"So AP finally made some changes, but it's one step forward and 5 steps back..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't complain about the pay; nice people; changes were made within leadership; they also seem to be TRYING. Now it's time to read below.

Cons

AP is trying to address culture and the fear that exists by creating more opportunities for fear to grow. Please stop asking us to speak up or ask questions in front of leadership when issues are directly with them. Do you really expect to hear what you need to hear? Workforce Management was bought to tell adults when they can take a break and take lunch. Other than that, you had better be on the phones smiling... and dialing, or be out of adherence and receive MULTIPLE emails and IM's telling you that you are out of adherence. Please refer back to culture of fear. Let's talk about some observations here. The CEO held a meeting with us to discuss minorities and how they have been POTENTIALLY treated unfairly and POTENTIALLY discriminated against, especially the females. While appreciated, it's strange how more recent promotions were African American females. Are you even aware of who your actual minorities groups are? Can you say EOCC and reverse discrimination? The culture is getting worse. The problem is people are afraid to speak up. One director will get rid of you like the one who was previously in that role. Best friends are receiving promotions from management. That will drive your revenue backwards. Business will not operate or tolerate this. Opportunity for growth exists only if you are already a favorite and one director decisions through emotional reactions. Don't think for a moment we don't know. There are 2 divisions who are mentally and emotionally drained. We've learned to adjust our faces and lie the way leadership taught us. Leadership claims to have snitches, but so do we. You would be mind blown if you only knew who they were. Advice to HR, you better start hiring because you are going to be busy. Unfortunately, we don't have the faith your department even cares what we have to say and have shown no signs of trying to improve our culture based on the multitudes of facts presented to you over the past month. I wonder what would happen if we just didn't show up to work one day...(know it's being considered amongst the majority). We sell education to those wanting to better their chances of increased marketability, promotion opportunities, yet those valid reasons hold no meaning here. It's all about being diverse enough. Who needs a degree for that? Here, some of us will need sex changes and new ethnic background classifications. One last observation, when diversity was being preached during our meeting, did you notice what sex and gender you did not see within management?

Advice to Management

If you needed a Leader/Director, get one that can lead, don't promote just because your options were extremely limited. Mr. CEO, interview the reps individually; asking us about our leadership with them in the room will bring you artificial responses, or no response. While I believe your intentions are good, you are not going about change the correct way; start at the top with the socially awkward. Get out of your... offices and out of your comfort zones and get to know your people. Lastly, promote the candidates who deserve the job and are the best candidate, not because of their sex or ethnic background.

Academic Partnerships2015-04-29

"A train with no engineers going full speed toward a bridge that's already fallen into the river."

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

The original mission was to help more students get a college education.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Management is characterized by a pathological narcissist with an ego so big he promotes his own website devoted to his own philanthropic activities. AP doesn't have an office culture. It's the boss's way or the highway. This individual gets up every morning, comes up with ideas that are well beyond realistic scope and any hope of success; implements these ideas within hours; and then... repeats the cycle the next day. Unfortunately, the leader's Southern gentry and folksy communication style with potential customers and outsiders is replaced by a non-compromising tyrant and bully to staff and employees who are all too often given unrealistic goals to achieve and very little time to prove themselves. Largely because of this leadership style and a true culture of fear, the company doesn't have any strategic plan or any sense of direction for its constantly revolving door of employees. No less than 4 different presidents have held that position in 4 years, but they only answer to the supreme leader who micromanages the company with every minor detail. Employees constantly are looking over their shoulders in consideration of being fired like most of their predecessors. Employees also are largely hired into top-heavy positions that sound important and which supposedly sound good to colleges and universities that are sold into forking over high percentages of tuition to AP's continually decreasing services and lack of customer service. The company's mantra of "under promise and over deliver" is at most a joke, and at the least is never realized due to its deplorable track record of endless personnel changes and mission changes. Training, mentoring, career paths, and bonuses beyond the original compensation packages are all non-existent. A "hire 'em, try 'em out, and fire 'em" management philosophy is the norm in this culture where "gun slinger" sales people are forced to camp out at colleges and universities on a weekly basis. This is looked at with a high level of disdain by university officials, who simply don't have the time to entertain AP employees on a frequent basis. Sadly, many very competent and highly educated professionals walk into this company with high hopes and a belief that they can do great things in online higher education. These hopes, however, are quickly dashed as numerous "Black Fridays" occur, dozens of employees are let go at the same time, and then the latest hiring binge re-occurs to bring in new blood, sweat, and tears. If you want to work somewhere for a short time to get some experience in helping colleges get a footing in distance education, feel free to join the frenzy, but understand the sharks here are big and are always circling the boat.

Advice to Management

Get out the business.

Academic Partnerships2014-08-19

"Good story, good space, good pay, but direction and people change constantly."

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

It's an exciting time to be in the higher education online marketing business. AP pays high salaries, has a good track record, and a compelling story.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and constant change breeds culture of fear so this opportunity may not be for everyone. All decisions are made by CEO, so if you're looking for team spirit and collaboration you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Build a successful management team you can trust, empower them to make decisions, and work collaboratively to shape future ideas. Spend more time hiring and developing the right people to reduce excessive turnover that impairs company morale. Work hard to make AP an enjoyable place to work and not just a job that pays the bills.

Academic Partnerships2014-07-03

"Lack of direction and no strategic plan"

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High base compensation, great office location, there are some really talented people here this is a very good business proposition at least in the US side

Cons

High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business. Lack of increases and bonus

Advice to Management

You hire talented people and then let them go, it makes no sense. It is clear you don't know what to do so let the smart people you hire run the company.

Academic Partnerships2014-06-27