Academic Partnerships "higher education" Reviews | Glassdoor

Academic Partnerships Employee Reviews about "higher education"

Updated Nov 13, 2019

3.7
Academic Partnerships CEO Rob Ganji  (no image)
Rob Ganji
Pros
  • "Great people- exceptional vision(in 9 reviews)

• "Best reason to work for the company it motivates you to pursue higher education(in 9 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "higher education"

Return to all Reviews

"I could not be happier with my decision..."

Current Employee - Student Coordinator- Retention Services (Remote Employee)

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with AP for over a year now and I an extremely happy with my decision to join the organization. I currently work as a Student Coordinator in the Retention Services department and get to assist student daily as they work towards their goal of higher education. My role is 100% remote (work from home), which has afforded me a work/life balance that is unparalleled to any other company I have worked for. We... have a wonderful team that is very supportive and genuinely wants to see you succeed and grow! AP also offers a very competitive PTO and benefits package as well.

Cons

As with any online program management provider, there are times where the pace of the day moves extremely fast. This can be challenging, but the team and the company overall is very appreciative of the hard work that is being done and is not shy about sharing praises during those high-volume/productivity times.

Academic Partnerships2019-11-13

"SVP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than a year

Pros

get to work in higher education

Cons

difficult place to work and be successful

Advice to Management

retire

Academic Partnerships2018-05-10

"Bias Company"

I worked at Academic Partnerships part-time

Pros

Best reason to work for the company it motivates you to pursue higher education

Cons

Bias . No place for advancement higher than management if you are not of the fairer skin color . Rudeness from employees when given a simple hello . I was not given a fair opportunity due to my ethnicity, which I was not the right person to be the face of the company . It was not performance nor attendance . Only AA was allowed in lower positions. Slim to none in Executive Positions .

Advice to Management

A company that promotes diversity should live up to its word . The partisanship that the company showed while I was employed was absolutely disgusting .People should really look at themselves to see what type of monsters they have become to want to see another human lose . This company shows no character and no compassion to fellow peers

Academic Partnerships2017-10-17

"Leave politics at home"

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

Enjoyed the mission of the company to help other students have access to higher education.

Cons

Politics. It was the most political environment I have ever worked for in my career. Instead of participating in recognized and respected higher education industry organizations, it participated in partisan political organizations catering to certain political parties. Disappointing and unprofessional.

Academic Partnerships2015-10-25

"“Don't believe the change hype. Deception, mistrust and lack of integrity.”"

Former Employee - Professional Full-time in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good people, just can't trust upper management.

Cons

Lack of consistent direction from anywhere in the organization. They present themselves as caring about higher education, but they care more about the paintings on the walls and the furniture in the lobby than the people who work for them. Upper management lacks integrity and will fire people to make their bottom line look better. For the hourly employees, free food and a phone job, although like glorified... telemarketers, it's better than "do you want fries with that?" If you are a professional, it is a career pit.

Advice to Management

Find some integrity.

Academic Partnerships2015-09-02

"Deceptive Organization"

Executive Director

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

At a glance, the company seems strong and leadership capable and solid. After the interview process, I was confident and excited about my decision to land at AP. I worked hard, exceeded my goals, was professional, and dutifully performed tasks that were asked of me by upper management. I quickly learned that real talent is not what the company wants, but rather to eliminate high performers who are skilled and... knowledgeable. Additionally, less-than capable individuals are promoted, leaving the organizational operations mismanaged by under qualified leaders. The company is in dire straights; it has a negative reputation among many organizations in various industries. In the short period of time (9 months) I represented AP as a member of the business team (which had 9 staff when I began and currently has two employees,) I salvaged numerous relationships and built partnerships with large-scale companies. Once I exceeded my goals for the company, I was informed that changes to the market were taking place and that there was no longer a need for my work. I learned a valuable lesson from my brief time at AP: if something seems too good to be true, it is. Employees at AP are overpaid and titles are inflated, but the positions won't last. Given the volatile state the higher education industry is in, along with the poor practices of leadership at AP, I am certain that it is just a matter of time before the company folds.

Cons

Under qualified and incapable leadership, inflated titles, misrepresentation of AP representatives, culture of fear and uncertainty, egotistical staff, overpaid employees

Advice to Management

Retain talent to improve brand. Develop cohesive training so that all departments conduct streamlined processes. HR needs addressing, as issues that arise are cause for legal ramifications.

Academic Partnerships2015-07-24

"A train with no engineers going full speed toward a bridge that's already fallen into the river."

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

The original mission was to help more students get a college education.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Management is characterized by a pathological narcissist with an ego so big he promotes his own website devoted to his own philanthropic activities. AP doesn't have an office culture. It's the boss's way or the highway. This individual gets up every morning, comes up with ideas that are well beyond realistic scope and any hope of success; implements these ideas within hours; and then... repeats the cycle the next day. Unfortunately, the leader's Southern gentry and folksy communication style with potential customers and outsiders is replaced by a non-compromising tyrant and bully to staff and employees who are all too often given unrealistic goals to achieve and very little time to prove themselves. Largely because of this leadership style and a true culture of fear, the company doesn't have any strategic plan or any sense of direction for its constantly revolving door of employees. No less than 4 different presidents have held that position in 4 years, but they only answer to the supreme leader who micromanages the company with every minor detail. Employees constantly are looking over their shoulders in consideration of being fired like most of their predecessors. Employees also are largely hired into top-heavy positions that sound important and which supposedly sound good to colleges and universities that are sold into forking over high percentages of tuition to AP's continually decreasing services and lack of customer service. The company's mantra of "under promise and over deliver" is at most a joke, and at the least is never realized due to its deplorable track record of endless personnel changes and mission changes. Training, mentoring, career paths, and bonuses beyond the original compensation packages are all non-existent. A "hire 'em, try 'em out, and fire 'em" management philosophy is the norm in this culture where "gun slinger" sales people are forced to camp out at colleges and universities on a weekly basis. This is looked at with a high level of disdain by university officials, who simply don't have the time to entertain AP employees on a frequent basis. Sadly, many very competent and highly educated professionals walk into this company with high hopes and a belief that they can do great things in online higher education. These hopes, however, are quickly dashed as numerous "Black Fridays" occur, dozens of employees are let go at the same time, and then the latest hiring binge re-occurs to bring in new blood, sweat, and tears. If you want to work somewhere for a short time to get some experience in helping colleges get a footing in distance education, feel free to join the frenzy, but understand the sharks here are big and are always circling the boat.

Advice to Management

Get out the business.

Academic Partnerships2014-08-19

"Good story, good space, good pay, but direction and people change constantly."

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

It's an exciting time to be in the higher education online marketing business. AP pays high salaries, has a good track record, and a compelling story.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and constant change breeds culture of fear so this opportunity may not be for everyone. All decisions are made by CEO, so if you're looking for team spirit and collaboration you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Build a successful management team you can trust, empower them to make decisions, and work collaboratively to shape future ideas. Spend more time hiring and developing the right people to reduce excessive turnover that impairs company morale. Work hard to make AP an enjoyable place to work and not just a job that pays the bills.

Academic Partnerships2014-07-03

"AP’s business model: Over promise, over charge, under deliver."

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are merely looking to survive rather than thrive throughout your tenure as you earn industry standard to above average pay, you are suited for the culture and atmosphere of Academic Partnerships. If you believe ‘outwit, outplay, and outlast’ makes for an entertaining television premise and it also describes your ideal work environment, than most definitely, sign on with AP.

Cons

Where AP was once founded upon the ideals of the Morrill Act, emphasizing the access of affordable higher education for all, in recent years, it has shifted to standard corporate ideals: more, bigger, faster. More saturation of university partners’ programs for bigger revenue gains as fast as possible, quality and accountability be damned. The vision of AP has truly become a game of numbers. How many universities... can AP sign, how quickly can programs be ramped up, and how many leads can be generated to satisfy ever-changing goals within an ever-changing, reactive environment. Those who have attempted to rectify AP’s business model of over promising, over charging, and under delivering to university clients have been discarded unceremoniously. Others who toil endlessly to feed the machine eventually leave to pursue employment opportunities where loyalty, honesty, and integrity remain valued commodities. Where AP once prided itself for recruiting practices that set it apart from rival proprietary universities, it now embraces those same tactics; leveraging their university partners’ reputations to increase revenue.

Advice to Management

Vet the people and the processes before you rush to promote or launch another program as a revenue generating marketing idea. The universities you represent are counting on you. Do they really need to pay a higher price?

Academic Partnerships2014-04-29
  10. "Big ideas, big bets, big wins"

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Academic Partnerships is a small company that lives and breathes entrepreneurship and has a strong sense of social mission to provide access to top-quality higher education at an affordable price. The company thrives on big, bold thinking, innovation and making things happen. It is a place for shakers and movers and those who want to drive positive and transformative changes in higher education.

Cons

This is not a con, but it is how AP proudly operates. The company’s guiding principles of providing universal access to higher education never change. How we get there does because we have the luxury of controlling our own destiny and adapting to a rapidly changing higher ed environment. Not everyone is cut out for this culture. One must be comfortable with change, not afraid of failure and be willing to push the... envelope on a daily basis. Those who thrive in such an environment find it to be exhilarating. Those who don’t usually move on.

Advice to Management

Continue innovating and making big bets to provide universal access to higher education.

Academic Partnerships2014-01-07