Academy Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Academy Bank CEO Paul Holewinski
Paul Holewinski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Will hire anyone, so it is a decent first job to learn cash handling skills (in 2 reviews)

• Upper management could care less (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not interested in your career development at all (in 8 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance, low pay, long hours, challenging customer base, 2nd chance checking (in 4 reviews)

1. "Too much pressure"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Academy Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training for the teller side of the bank.

Cons

Too much pressure to meet the daily/weekly/monthly accounts numbers. I didn't know how to operate the new account system before they threw me into it.

Advice to Management

More training, less pressure on staff.

2. "If you want time with your family, don't apply"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Academy Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leave/vacation time; very good money

Cons

Unfortunately, what others have already said is spot on! I started part time never having banking experience and was promoted to Branch Manager within 9 months. There is very little training for managers. All the care about is getting new accounts. It is very micromanaged with multiple conference calls a day. If your staff wasn't performing it was incredibly embarressing. they raised everyone's pay recently and they were smart to have done this because if I wasn't making the money I was, I would have quit long before I did. I wished they would have figured out banking is not all about new accounts, but even with management leaving left and right, they still haven't made the changes they should. Soul sucking job. If you are single and have nothing better to do, this is a good job for you.

Advice to Management

Leave at your scheduled time! Don't go in early and stay late. Set the standard ahead of time that you aren't working more than scheduled because if you don't you will end up working 6 days a week all day long. Trust me. Been there done that won't go back.

"Academy Bank - where your worth as a person and manager is based on how many checking accounts you can open in a month!"

Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Academy Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's inside Walmart so you don't have to make an extra trip to the grocery store for toilet paper.

You can really "write your own story" as long as you slave 50+ hours a week and make your boss lots of money based on the incentives they receive off you slimily preying on customers in Walmart coercing them to open a checking account they don't need or want. However, once you have used up all your life and energy and no longer make them money without them investing and time or energy into you, you will be forced out, or fired in order to make way for the new younger manager who was just promoted from a teller and hasn't had the absolute soul sucked out of them quite yet.

Cons

Training for anything other than a base level teller is non existent. There is no coaching for improvement, no real life managerial skills taught - and this is significant because the people running these branches ALL started out as Personal Bankers, and when their direct supervisors either quit or were fired for not opening enough crappy checking accounts, they were promoted. "Poof! You're a manager now! But we're not going to train you, figure it out. Oh, and if you don't figure out how to keep your head above water, we're not going to pay you, and also fire you in a matter of months. Have fun!"

You are not valued. By anyone. And I'm not just saying that because I'm bitter (Being fired after 5 years of literal slaving for this company, in order to consolidate departments and save the company a pretty dime, will do that to you) . I have worked in 4 different positions within this company in multiple locations, I have worked with the (All white, straight and male) C-Suite that sites on the executive floor of Town Pavilion, I have worked with HR, operations, sales, marketing and trust me when I say, They. Don't. Care. Employees are disposable, there will always be more. And when Academy Bank has exhausted their usefulness, they will throw them away.

My advice to anyone looking for a job here, especially if you don't have banking experience - Trust literally no one, don't make friends with your manager, give minimal effort, don't work harder than you're paid for, it won't be appreciated or rewarded. Get 6-12 months of experience, then get out. Go work for a real Bank or financial company and live a long happy live where you don't debate everyday if prison is worth it.

Realistically though, use this as a stepping stone if you are thinking about starting, staying, promoting or moving anywhere within this company. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit. And hire human beings that have haven't had their hearts replaced with a fat pocketbook. Listen to your employees and start valuing them based on the person they are and the talents they posses instead of how tall you look while standing on their shoulders.

4. "Ugh"

I have been working at Academy Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of leave time available

Cons

Everything else is terrible.

Advice to Management

Quit belittling employees and show some gratitude for once.

5. "Poor company to work for"

Pros

Develop basic knowledge of the financial industry and its products. There are decent benefits and a 401k match. That is the extent of the pros.

Cons

Upper management is not interested in your career development at all. Employees on the retail side of the bank are treated as just a number. Sales practices are incredibly
    unethical and management will tell you to do whatever it takes to get the next account. The amount of time and hard work you put in will not be recognized. Company has developed a model in which they will berate/mistreat employees until they quit and they can get the next person in.

Advice to Management

Invest some time in the people who help grow the bank and its customer base. Find out what is important to your employees and you will be able to retain more. Do away with the intense sales goals that encourage bad practices.

6. "Yikes!"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Moberly, MO
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Moberly, MO

I worked at Academy Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire anyone, so it is a decent first job to learn cash handling skills. Nothing more.

Cons

Poor management. Highly underpaid. Extreme account goals. Customers definitly not number one. Promised full time after 6 weeks, still part time at 8 months when I quit. Will cut hours for enjoyment.

Advice to Management

Go find a different job and let someone who knows how to run a bank actually run this bank.

7. "The worst"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fort Morgan, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fort Morgan, CO

I worked at Academy Bank full-time

Pros

They will hire anyone, so if you have experience in nothing, be sure to apply! You will at least be able to say you've had a job once you get sick of this atmosphere.

Cons

The worst company I have ever worked for. National Sales and Service Manager has no idea what he's doing. Made us attend the most wasteful conference calls just to hear himself talk. Sales were pushed extremely hard. No breaks, no training, you are just thrown into the fire.

Advice to Management

Find some other business to run, you have no idea what you are doing in banking.

8. "Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Academy Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the local in-store banks to build relationships. Office was in a good location, easy access. Local team was great.

Cons

Upper management was not knowledgeable and lacked communication. No consistency in loan processing/operations. No CRM to maintain databases for customer contact tracking.

Advice to Management

Build better relationships with team; visits to sales office were minimal and when visited did not include the whole team for meetings.

9. "personal banker"

I have been working at Academy Bank full-time

Pros

Great growth opportunities and you choose how much you want to make.

Cons

Hours can be long, work most weekends

10. "Decent but not decent enough"

I worked at Academy Bank full-time

Pros

Monthly Bonuses were decent, enjoyed working with the people at my branch.

Cons

Poor training, hour pay was low, based on Sales mainly